AARP took us to the movies!

Eugene, Oregon
AARP (Association of Retired Persons) is an organization in the US that everyone over the age of 50 is eligible to join. A one year membership is pretty cheap, and includes some modest benefits like discounts at some hotels and restaurants. They include a pretty good monthly magazine as well. A benefit I did not know about is that they occasionally invite members to a free viewing of a first run movie for free. I registered my email on their site and last week was notified that we could sign up to see a movie at a really nice local theater for free. I figured the place would be swamped, but there were fewer than 100 people who took advantage. The movie was one I wanted to see anyway, Jon Hamm (Mad Men) in "Nostalgia." We really liked the film a lot, but I must warn you that is has some very sad parts. Hamm showed none of his Don Draper character in this role except that two day stubble that he grows in one. It was nice to get something worth more than the dues we pay back from an organization.
My mom just got an AARP thing in the mail yesterday, trying to get her to sign up. Said it's only $16 for the year! But she's not doing it. Glad you saw a movie you wanted to, and enjoyed it!
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I guess they do this all over the country, pretty nice.
@JamesHxstatic the AARP? Yes, we even get mail from them for my uncle, who is in early 40s. lol
• Eugene, Oregon
@Courtlynn Yes they are eager.
that sounds great James.what site did you register on.
• Eugene, Oregon
Here is a link @amadeo.
AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.
@JamesHxstatic thank you for the site.Going to check this out
• Eugene, Oregon
@amadeo Good, I am sure you are old enough. I have been for several years.
That worked out really well!!! And, a good movie makes the "free" even better.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, and I like Hamm as an actor a lot.
That was a nice outing - and free.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, and no sales pitch to sit through either.
@minx267 (13792)
• Hartford, Connecticut
I joined AARP last year.. I'm afraid I haven't taken full advantage yet.. I was not aware of this Movie theater thing.. I did get a bunch of free Donuts from Dunkin Donuts.. but the last time I went they said they discontinued it. :(
• Eugene, Oregon
Darn! I like this movie idea a lot.
@minx267 (13792)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@JamesHxstatic I looked at my AARP account today. I have a felling participating movie theaters are not in my area.
• Eugene, Oregon
@minx267 Ohh that's too bad. Maybe you can send a query by email?
I am glad you have been among those who were chosen to see the movie for free. This is very good.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, there was room for a lot more people there.
@JamesHxstatic It is a shame we have nothing like this.
• Eugene, Oregon
@LadyDuck Yes it is. They have a lot of good information and lobby Congress on behalf of seniors too.
@porwest (4126)
When I get to that age I will opt for a more conservative organization than the AARP has become...off the top of my head I can't think of what it is called. In any event, who can argue free? Well...free kind of. Someone is paying for it. Likely from those dues. :) Glad you had a good time.
@porwest (4126)
@JamesHxstatic Unfortunately AARP is far from apolitical. Either way, I fault no one for using their services. But like I said, I'd prefer a more conservative organization. Still can't remember the name of the darn thing. lol
• Eugene, Oregon
@porwest NRA maybe? Way too crazy for me.
@porwest (4126)
@JamesHxstatic NRA is an entirely different organization than the AARP. But no, that's not it. Still cannot recall what the other one is. As for my thoughts on the NRA, I support them.
• Riga, Latvia
Well good for you and glad you enjoyed the movie. I avoid sad movies these days. Too many emotions going through me now that the house is actually just about sold and I am really moving everything out. SIGH now to just get to the states in one piece. I do not want to fly but there may be no choice I cannot seem to find another way to go.
• Eugene, Oregon
The only advantage is time. Have you decided where you are going to be back here?
• Riga, Latvia
@JamesHxstatic Even though the heartstrings pull me to NYC my hometown I have to be realistic at the moment. My best friend since 7th grade is offering me an apartment in her 3 story house in Daytona Beach, Florida so I will start off being a beachcomber and then we will see.
• Eugene, Oregon
@RasmaSandra Now that sounds like a good thing!
Wow, that sounds great, I don't think we have any this type of organization here. Glad you enjoyed movie and wishing you a great Sunday
• Eugene, Oregon
Thank you!
@Shiva49 (12592)
It is good that most countries treat seniors well. We also have cheaper medicals, movie tickets, train/bus fares and few other perqs - siva
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I am glad that these discounts are offered in many places.
@id_peace (6012)
That is very nice. I will wished that there are something like that for us
• Eugene, Oregon
Maybe there will be one yet.
That's a very nice perk to offer!
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I was surprised that there was no catch.
We joined a caravan club in Ireland which promised we'd get discounts on fees in France but it didn't turn out that way. None of the parks we used had heard of our group. However we did have a nice time with them when we got back to Ireland.
@momalisa65 (1973)
Wow, that’s good to know. We’re always getting mail from AARP but we never joined it yet.
• Eugene, Oregon
They put our a lot of interesting info for seniors.
@sallypup (26637)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm joined up with AARP but haven't noticed any benefits that are good for me- Dennys is a benefit but is not a healthy place to eat. I'm glad you had some fun.
• Eugene, Oregon
The movie thing is the best benefit I have seen.
Free is always nice
@db20747 (7482)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
That's a good benefit!!! Did U enjoy the he movie!!!!