Is cursive the modern day hieroglyphics?

@AlisaTR (1381)
Another sign of the changing times. Back when I was a kid just learning to write, I lived for the day when I could write cursive. My friends and I were just forming round letters, like capital and common ABC and we used to get blank sheets of paper and scribble illegible scrawls across them claiming that it was cursive and that we were writing fancy. As a teenager, I learned calligraphy in art class. And because I wasn't really artistic and didn't own the correct pen, I thought the class was a colossal waste of precious teen time. Then I became an adult and I started off working in an administrative field where the typewriter was still a thing. There were hardly any computers on the job and some people were still adjusting to this new phase of technology. There were certainly no cell phones and definitely no smart phones. So we wrote a lot. My fingers would feel cramped sometimes. But then came the 21st century and the wave of technology and laptops and tablets and cellphones and smart phones and every possible gadget you could think of so that writers don't really write... we type... and a computer isn't just a nice to have accessory in the workplace, it's a necessity. So the fancy cursive I learned, it really doesn't matter unless I have to sign something. And with this new (probably not so new) wave of electronic signatures, I'm wondering... is cursive the modern day hieroglyphics? Or calligraphy... some far flung way of writing that younger generations will have no real use for except as art?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I learned it but never embraced it. I still print when I wrote.
@AlisaTR (1381)
I think some schools don't really teach it anymore.
@porwest (4855)
Me too. I always print. But I CAN write in cursive. I just don't. I think I got away from it when I was in the military. We were taught to write a certain way in the logs.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@porwest They prefer print? Cursive just never appealed to me. And reading others' cursive can be a pain.
@Namelesss (1382)
They stopped teaching it here round about 2000 - 2002. My son was just learning it and LOVED it but the next year they banned them from using it. Talk about confusing to a little kid.
@AlisaTR (1381)
Ohhhh.... I'm sure he was pretty disappointed, especially if he was good at it. And that, I guess, is the proce of change. Which state is this?
@Namelesss (1382)
@AlisaTR This is in Georgia. Not so far away from you.
@porwest (4855)
They are not even teaching it in schools anymore from what I hear, which I find amazing. I am sure it still has a purpose and even if I have not written in cursive for years, I know how to.
@Daelii (5641)
How can anyone understand historical documents if they don't know cursive??
@porwest (4855)
@Daelii It IS different how things are so different that when I was growing up. I suppose it is what it is.
@franxav (5078)
Cursive helps me to write fluently and it certainly looks beautiful. Children in our school are initiated into it in their KG classes, with some variations here and there.
@AlisaTR (1381)
Nice. By KG, you mean kindergarten right? Where is this?
@Starmaiden (6000)
I never thought of it that way but I believe you are right! Cursive writing is on its way out as people develop their own style of handwriting. I do a combo of print/write that doesnt look anything like cursive.
@Daelii (5641)
I learnt it and aside from signing documents, I don't write in cursive. I don't even know if they teach it in school anymore!
@AlisaTR (1381)
Many schools they don't.
@id_peace (6989)
This is interesting, i learned but don't quite use it.