What are some of your subtle hints that you're not as young as you once were?

Pleasant Hill, California
I am enjoying life right now, but I often receive subtle reminders that I'm not as young as I once was. Of course, there's the lower back pain, which never completely goes away. And there's the increase in my overall "don't give a sh*t," which is kind of fun. And the fact that I'm just as happy when a softball game gets rained out as I am having to play (see "dont give a sh*t," above). But the main one is a kind of error I find myself making repeatedly when typing. Because I think ahead while typing, and I'm a hunt and peck typist, I find myself skipping words IF the two words I'm typing begin and end similarly. For example, If I meant to type, "It was late, and I was silently slinking into the kitchen, so as not to bother my downstairs neighbor," I might type, "It was late, and I was silently into the kitchen, so as..." Can you think of some similar reminders that you'd better "use it or lose it"? The one I've mentioned is "cognitive," like the one in the cartoon, above. And that makes it "interesting" to the psychologist in me, but also a bit disconcerting.
Ha! I ain`t old yet so I cannot know about none of that. Well, let me see if there is something... hmm, Okay I got one thing, if I don`t make a list of things I need at the grocery store and take it with me I will forget one thing, last night I forgot the foil.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeppers. I make a list if it's over five items or so. Sometimes I take my young friend, and he has to remember three items.
@1creekgirl (11356)
Don't feel bad, Andria. Years ago, before I had the excuse of old age, I went to drive my car to the loading zone at the grocery store, but instead just drove home, leaving my cart full of groceries.
@1creekgirl OMG! I almost spit my coffee all over the place, you made me laugh. I did not pay for it and leave it, I forgot to buy it altogether.
So, you're saying that you reason more as you get older. Hmm, never thought of that as a sign of aging, but you could be right. I just check the mirror. The one in my mind and the one in the bathroom don't match.
Mine do not match either. What a disappointment.
@marlina Yes, it is.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. Sometimes I do say, "Who the hell is that old guy?" Especially when I see pictures. But I also sometimes say, "I get better looking each day," quoting an old Country song.
@josie_ (7409)
In terms of using it or losing it, eventually the latter will win out but one must keep on trying their best to delay the inevitable. Forgetfulness and being absent-minded are my problems but I write down notes to remind me of the things needed to be done.
@1creekgirl (11356)
I couldn't function without my lists!
• Pleasant Hill, California
The latter will win out. But I'd rather delay the inevitable.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@1creekgirl I do lists as well.
@kanchan10 (3138)
• Kolkata, India
everything from memory loss to lesser appetite. changing habits. walking slowly. all make me feel my growing age.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I started noticing that owies took a bit longer to get better when I was 30. That's also when my back started hurting. Too much sitting and writing, I suppose. You don't look very "old."
@kanchan10, Same here. No fun to be that way.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@marlina Life can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you think you're old, you'll act old.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
Being old is all in the mind. But I admit I get more restless and anxious plus the backache really pains too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
There's truth in your statement. But some things just "happen." Silly typing errors seems to be one for me.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
@TheHorse Thank you, Colin. For sure there are. IT gets frustrating too when something is in your head and then it comes out differently when you say or type it. I understand.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@mlgen1037 I've made the same kinds of errors I described in my post this morning. At least I generally catch them and correct them. In this comment, unless I missed something, all that was missing was the "t" in "correct."
K, I don't recall subtle it all hit me in the back side than sat back and laughed. As for those typing errors, those are the fault of the Auto Correct stupidity, you're not to blame
• Pleasant Hill, California
No, I don't have auto-correct on my desk-top. I "rage against the machine" and don't use my cell phone for anything other than phone calls.
Which browser do you use @TheHorse ? Oh, I didn't know you were talking about cell phones, I don't use my for web funzies etc.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@rebelann I was assuming the use of a regular computer. I use mostly Firefox.
I have use it and lose it.Now I am losing it.If I was in better health.Continued to play tennis. Yes the back and the neck pain.Most of us experienced this.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Continuing to play tennis is great. The benefits should generalize to all areas of life.
@TheHorse I guess you misunderstood me or was not clearly on thi. If I was in better health.I would continued playing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@amadeo Will that part of your health come back?
No frequent wolf whistles.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Or waving thanks instead of putting on "b*tch face" when they happen. Paradoxically, I get fewer "b*tchy" looks from cute 19-year-olds because I'm "old" and "safe," like dad.
@TheHorse If I am sure that the whistle is directed at me I usually smile - for some whistlers a wave may be taken as an invitation.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Kandae11 I think the purpose of a wolf whistle is to intimidate. If you smile and wave, it "de-sexualizes" the whistle, and you become more like a sister. But I could be wrong.
The use of the list instead of the lost memory and the end of the multitasking pi*s me as much as my back pain and my arthritis.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I can sometimes get away without a list if I go to Trader Joe's. But if more than five items are involved, I make a list. I also sometimes make a to-do list for a given day. I email it to myself.
@TheHorse And the irritating trip to the closet to go and find something just to remember some minutes later that you were heading towards your night table to get your glasses
• Pleasant Hill, California
@marguicha Yep, I did that one the other day. I think I was heading for my cereal next to the fridge and wound up in my freezer.
@redhotpogo (4419)
When people start referring to your clothes as "vintage." Your movies as "classics." And your favorite bands' music is being played in commercials.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. Good examples. Especially the last one. On in the background at the supermarket.
@TheHorse lol exactly on the supermarket thing. I was grocery shopping one day, browsing through the selections of deli meat and cheese, when suddenly I paused. A familiar sound. "Is that Nine Inch Nails?" Well fack I'm officially old.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@redhotpogo Old? I believe I heard either Cream or Hendrix in muzak style. The Humanity.
One thing certainly comes to mind that my body is in fact aging: old injuries are like weather alerts !
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heck, mine hurt all the time.
@TheHorse I keep the minimal pain I do experience mostly at bay by NOT eating foods that will exacerbate the painful reactions like vinegar for example !
• Pleasant Hill, California
@enlightenedpsych2 I wonder if there are foods that exacerbate my lower back pain. What does vinegar do to you?
• New Baltimore, Michigan
When the young kid working at McDonald's calls me "Ma'am" Ouchy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Eh, someone called me "Sir" today and I called him "Sir" right back.
• New Baltimore, Michigan
@TheHorse Yes, maybe they are just being polite, so we should be polite right back. Although I do still prefer "Miss" ....
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Melanie_Marie I wonder if that's jut how stores train their workers these days. Social skills are waning as internet use increases.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yeah, I can't play basketball or run track like I use to in High School @TheHorse . I'm left with tossing a ball to the cats and walking the 750-ft to my mailbox. But by golly I can still Go-Go Dance. Seriously though, I do worry about the 'cognitive' part of it all because Alzheimer's runs in our family.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I do Sudoku. I think writing here keeps us all mentally active. I still do play hoops and softball, though my eyes aren't as good as they once were. Funny--my "don't give a sh*t" means I dance MORE now than when I was young. Do you sometimes go-go-dance around the house? Sounds like good exercise!
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheHorse I think being here does help us all. Oh I definitely go-go dance; even to the grinding of the hips. Of course the cats think I'm a screwball.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@nanette64 I'm sure they're happy as long as they're fed and scratched.
@cintol (7564)
I am starting to realize that I don't have the energy I once had, my kids don't understand why I can't or don't want to do some of the things they want. They tell me "your not that old, you should be able to do this". I tell them "wait until you get to be my age and lets see how well you do keeping up with your kids". I also have the , I don't give a s**t attitude as well sometimes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoy the "don't give a sh*t part."
@cintol (7564)
@TheHorse Me too!!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@cintol I was about to say where the "don't give a sh*t" led me today, but then I realized that each person's don't give a sh*t is different.
@morgoodie (2711)
Just about everything reminds me that I am getting old. Aches, pains, bad memory, and early bedtimes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, early bedtimes is one I forgot about. 11 PM is late now.
@morgoodie (2711)
@TheHorse Right if I can even make it without falling asleep in my chair. Oh yeah I forgot naps in the afternoon.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@morgoodie Yesterday, before I headed to Home Depot, I was almost in nap land.
@Daelii (5808)
Besides getting up in the morning? The shocked expressions when "kids" find out something did exist back when you were a kid! Lol They had cellphones back then? :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh heh. I come back with, "Yes, but dinosaurs liked to eat them."
@Daelii (5808)
@TheHorse haha!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Daelii I do remember being shocked that my dad grew up without a TV.
@1creekgirl (11356)
Like some others have said, my hints have not been very subtle at all. I kept up pretty good, but it wasn't so long ago that I could have out-walked my daughter and granddaughter in NYC. But a lot of stairs were out of the question.
• Pleasant Hill, California
My Auntie, now 95, used to walk all over Manhattan with me. Her mind is still sharp, so I tease her about the days when she was a "Spring chicken," at 82, and we'd go to the Met, to a play on Broadway, etc.
@1creekgirl (11356)
@TheHorse That's amazing!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@1creekgirl I'm going to call her later this afternoon. She's slowing down, but her mind is still sharp.
@nomus24g (24380)
these days I cant remember too many things at a time :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think that psychologists might call that short-term-memory store. I know my "digit span" memory has decreased. I have to write down phone numbers.
@nomus24g (24380)
@TheHorse no I am not that bad....its like, if I have to tell you 3 things....while delivering the 1st one, I tend to forget the rest 2...and will take sometime to recall it
• Pleasant Hill, California
@nomus24g Oh, I think I'm OK if with that it's thee things that are "salient" to me.
@AnnieY (215)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Yeah, I forget things too, for example, I'm having my breakfast and then I think "oh I forgot to get the butter" so I open the fridge and I suddenly find myself standing in front of the fridge with the door open and my head all the way in there looking for something but never know what so I just forget it and continue on with my life without butter. Also my dance moves aren't as groovy as before lol XD
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. I do that all the time. I'm looking for...something...oh there it is!
@AnnieY (215)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
@TheHorse Yeah, good thing you do find what you were looking for :D
@id_peace (7584)
This is true. I used to be able to fight for 5 minutes, now I go on red light mode if I fight anything more than 3 minutes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What kind of fight?
@id_peace (7584)
Sparring in MMA ring. It was the closest to an ultraman fight