Catching a plagiarizer

Walnut Creek, California
I know this subject has been discussed a lot, both on MyLot and on "the site that will not be named," where plagiarizers were really common. I had to deal with it again this past semester (I'm currently computing final grades). A woman wrote a paper, rife with the kinds of errors that are common to American college students. Then, in the second to last paragraph of the paper, the writing became professional, as if written by a psychologist for a website. All I had to do was go to Google, enter a portion of one sentence, and find that the offending paragraph came from a website about Anxiety Disorders. I told her, in my comments on the paper, that plagiarism was unacceptable, but I did not kick her out of the class. I wanted to see if my leniency would teach her honesty. What do you do when you suspect plagiarism, on MyLot, or elsewhere? Is your method similar to mine?
Examples like the one you give appear here often. Within an hour of joining the site, some people suddenly become extremely proficient in English...why, you'd never even guess that the introductory post was written by the same person.
• Walnut Creek, California
No Googling necessary in those cases, though I do occasionally amuse myself and check where they got their material.
@vandana7 (67645)
JJ...can I ask you something ..and will you reply honestly? Did you check what I write for plagiarism, or do you never suspect it to be. I mean..I don't know which is more insulting..LOL.
@vandana7 I've never seen a reason to, should I start?
I do hope she will be honest from now on. I do alert a plagiarizer to the fact that he or she has plagiarized by including the link to the stolen material. I have not had to do that in a very long time.
• Walnut Creek, California
I just told her (in writing) what website the material came from.
I have not seen any lately, you did the right thing letting her know she cannot out smart you.
• Walnut Creek, California
Some would kick them out of their class immediately.
@Starmaiden (7643)
I have seen discussions that were ultimately plagiarized. These I report to the Admin.
Yes I do report it when I spot it. Hopefully, she learned her lesson.
• Walnut Creek, California
She came to one or two more classes and then disappeared.
@TheHorse I have heard that some here have copied things others have written and used it for themselves. So, the lady that plagurized how is she doing now?
• Walnut Creek, California
She disappeared from the class after I "busted" her.
@TheHorse I wonder if she is still doing it elsewhere.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
Seriously I don't check plagiarism here. Still I find someone done it I just report it to admin
• Walnut Creek, California
Can you spot a style of writing that appears too "news-like" to be written by someone interacting on a casual writing site?
@sjvg1976 (18407)
@TheHorse hmm.. Let me try it.
@Daelii (5927)
I find it pathetic when people do that. I do think if someone submits plagiarized material for a paper, they should automatically fail the class. There is no reason in the world to do that. its one thing if they forgot to properly cite it and had identified it as an improper quote. Then sure, fix it and add the proper citation. To use another words as your own in a paper? wrong!
• Walnut Creek, California
Yes, this wasn't a "forgotten citation." It was an attempt to slip one by me.
@Daelii (5927)
@TheHorse Thats bad! I felt awful once turning in a rough draft that I skipped a proper citation. When writing it, I had put notes like (1, pg ##) or (2, pg ##) at the ends of lines that I used facts. The number related to the book. In the end, I would go through and fix the numbers to authors to do it properly. On one, I forgot! luckily it was a rough draft. The professor just did ?? over it.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
The cheekiest plagiarism I encountered was by one of my students. She had the nerve to copy a case study( written by me), and passed it off as her own work in her assignment.
@Daelii (5927)
.... that was so stupid of her to do that! didn't she think that one through? hahahah
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Daelii I was amazed at her audacity in thinking I wouldn't notice it lol.
I am sure lot of this is going one.There are many out there.
• Walnut Creek, California
Sadly, there are. I haven't caught THAT many. It's also amusing (in a sad way) when I catch people cheating on exams.
@TheHorse I am sure lot of this is going on in most schools.
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
If the person repeatedly does the same thing over and over again then this is not forgivable. Plagiarism is no less than a crime and a crime is punishable.
• Walnut Creek, California
I worry that she will try the same thing in her other classes. In my class, she got a 40/100, wrote a partially plagiarized paper, and the disappeared.
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
@TheHorse Since she never came in your class again there can be two reasons - firstly she now feels ashamed and has regrets for what she did and learned a lesson or secondly she just doesn't bother or is not interested. Anyway an example of bad behavior
When I find plagiarists here I report them. In class perhaps one chance is okay.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm glad this person stopped showing up once she was "busted."
@augusta123 (6366)
I will call the person out
• Walnut Creek, California
Do you mean in class? Or on MyLot?
• Kochi, India
I am new to Mylot and I am not sure about such things are happening here or not.if it is happening,it should be controlled.
• Walnut Creek, California
Generally, veteran users report such posts to Admin, and they're removed.
@vandana7 (67645)
Honestly, I am extremely conscious of my limited command over your language. So when a person writes, I am only looking for communication, kind of is the message getting across to me. If I understand it, I feel good. If there are new words, great. If there are new usages, even greater. I am so lost in it, that I do not notice the difference in language, not that I would have known which is professional and which is not. So I have never caught a plagiarist.
@RubyHawk (29283)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I was plagiarized when I wrote on Triond. The plagiarizer even used my personal photos. Joelgreat saw it and told me. Expertscolumn gave me the site and the money earned.
When I see a plagiarist on myLot, I report the post and I send a PM to Alex. I cannot stand plagiarists, I had some of my Squidoo articles plagiarized and I had to justify myself to explain that I was the one who wrote the articles first. No pity for plagiarists.
@pgntwo (22517)
• Carthage, Tunisia
More interesting is when you see such oddities in CVs, apparently there is a booming black market in résumé-writing!
I report it immediately to authorities. Plagiarism has no place in our culture.
@Paradon (2080)
• Pattaya, Thailand
I have not seen that here but on other sites I will turn them in.