JJs Vinyl Madness Countdown #535

The second release from a 3-record contract with ABC Records, and the last album released before his death a few months later. American singer/songwriter Jim Croce released two records prior to signing with ABC - the self-released 'Facets' in 1966 (of which originally only 500 copies were pressed) and his first 'major label' release in 1969, Capitol Record's 'Jim & Ingrid Croce'. But it is his three releases on ABC that contain the songs that made him famous (the third album was released a few months after his death from previously recorded material). Jim Croce - Life And Times
I do not own nor profit from any music or images used in this project.
@minx267 (14603)
• Hartford, Connecticut
Love him.. My favorite song was "Time in a Bottle" well it was my mothers.. but now I think it is mine also.. but there are a few others I enjoyed... he was one of the greats.
It's hard to name a favorite, but 'Operator' would be really close
@minx267 (14603)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@JolietJake that's like #2 or #3 for me.
@mandala100 (50680)
He is among my favorite my friend.
He was a talented artist
@mandala100 (50680)
@JolietJake No argument about that my friend I like "Alabama Rain", "Lover's Cross", "I Got A Name", "These Dreams" etc.
@mandala100 Amazing how much really good material he put out in such a short time
@inertia4 (27713)
Wow, Jim Croce. He was amazing. I have one of his Albums. And my son will be inheriting it. I miss the 70's. Back then there were amazing bands and amazing music. And funny enough, my son is into all the old music. And he love Billy Joel.
I guess he didn't have much 'in the vault' so to speak, because while there are a dozen collections, there are only the three studio albums from ABC
@inertia4 (27713)
@JolietJake Right I know. It is sad though. We can only image what he would have done if he stayed alive all these years.
"You Don't Mess Around With Scar...I mean Jim"
Pretty good song! I wonder why he was not in the video? I remember roller derby from the early 1970's because of my mom, and i loved them! I just don't remember the violence in them? I know the bruise on the le looked my arm did the day after I slept a night when I dislocated my elbow on the first hole of miniature golf!
Because it is a video someone on YouTube made
@JolietJake I am sorry I thought he made it himself
Glad I found this site I love vinyl it was a sad day when Jim Croce passed away but his music is incredible him and don mcclain American pie are my favorite folk artist
• Eugene, Oregon
I like him a lot and wish he had stayed around to write more great songs.
@FourWalls (15271)
Amazing what an impact he made in such a short period of time. I attribute that to coming along "at the right time," when FM formats were wide and singer/songwriters were celebrated. This song reminds me of "those times," when roller derby was popular and even Raquel Welch made a movie about it! And Peter Ang is right: "Alabama Rain" should be one of Croce's best-known songs instead of an album cut.