The family famous cut

My Great-Grandmother was a mother of seven kids. Six boys, one girl. (That girl is my Grandmother). And with only having one girl, my Great-Grandmother didn't really know how short to do girl haircuts. So whenever my Grandmother got a cut, my Great-Grandmother would just cut her hair to her ear lobes. And for some reason the boys would call it "the boy cut". Then when my Grandmother had her six kids (four girls, two boys), she and my Great-Grandmother would give her girls the family famous boy cuts. Because it was still all they knew. Though after 10 years (three kids - all girls), that was put to a stop. As the girls had fought to have their hair be at least down to their shoulders. However, that wasn't the very end of those family famous cuts. As my mom had me, and one year I wanted a new hair cut for the first day of school but we couldn't afford to get my hair done professionally, so Grandma did it. And of course, it was that family famous cut! And boy did I cry my eyes out! Since then, she has not been allowed to touch my hair. Or anyone else's! Lol. And I do not get my hair cut shorter than my shoulders! Sorry, not sorry - Family famous cut!
I like my hair long and so does my husband. He cuts my hair for me when I need a trim.
No one in my family knows how to cut. Least, not to make it look right / good. Lol
@Courtlynn my husband only cuts mine. He first started out of necessity. We were trying to stretch our money and he did such a good job that nearly 30 years later he has continued.
@RubyHawk (25024)
• Atlanta, Georgia
When I was growing up my mama wouldn't let me get my hair cut but my hair was very curly and it never grew down to my shoulders. When I married the first thing I did was get a short hair cut.
When I was a kid, I had the typical pageboy cut, bangs and all. I have always preferred to have longer hair. My daughter has curly hair like her dad and keeps hers very short, and it looks great on her. I cut my kids hair when they were young but it was more of a money things than any desire to cut hair on my part lol
Mines very curly, and thick so would be good to be shorter but I hate short hair. Doesnt look good on most. Imo.
@Courtlynn At the end of the day, that is what counts. I cut mine in my 50s because people were telling me I was too old for long hair. I have it long again now because that is what I feel the most comfortable with.
@BelleStarr my aunt is almost 60 and has always had long to her butt hair. Granted its grey now but yeah lol
@Starmaiden (5837)
My mother used to give those cuts to me even though I adored long hair and wanted to let my hair grow. I had to wait until adulthood to let my hair grow. Now I only cut off the split ends and get it done professionally.
My aunt, the oldest of my grandmothers kids, is the same now. she will not do more than cut the split ends, and has her hair down to her butt!
@Courtlynn mine is almost there.
@Starmaiden mines like at the bottom of my chest, I believe lol
@august18 (2891)
• Tunisia
Before, I used to cut my hair once in a month. Now, I do it once a year. I enjoy having long hair.
my hair has been long since I was like 10. though I did cut it "short" (to my shoulders) in feb 2016.
@Srbageldog (8601)
I can totally picture this haircut. My mom and her sisters had something like it too when they were younger. Sorry you cried over getting that cut, but this made me laugh. Grandmas! Haha. When I was little, I wanted my hair cut short, and my mom refused -- she said I would look ugly, like Darla from The Little Rascals. I had really long, blonde, curly hair, and I pestered my mom enough that she finally agreed to cut it to my shoulders...and all of the blonde curl went out of my hair. After that it was just poofy and an ash color. My mom freaking cried right in front of me when she finished my hair, because now I was ugly. Hmm...no wonder I had low self esteem.
Aw. Sorry it wasnt the same after. And that she said we were ugly from it. Ugh.
@Courtlynn Thanks, lol. I can laugh at it now. But seriously, when you think about it...WTF Mom??
@Srbageldog right! Good you can laugh now though
@peachpurple (12875)
My mom made coconut head hair cut for me. I cried for days
Oh no!
@peachpurple (12875)
@Courtlynn and she still cut the same hairstyle until I was a teen !
That's a pretty funny story even though you cried at your school haircut. Where would we be without all these crazy memories in life?
it is funny now, but boy was it horrible to go through back then! lol
She did the best that she could. I was lucky my friend did my hair and my two daughter's hair.
I guess, but her best is not great lol
From what i can see of your profile picture you have beautiful hair! I keep mine in a boy cur as I am nor one much for more than washing my hair and letting it dry naturally. I don't even have a hairdryer! There is no way i am taking care of my hair more than washing it! i love long hair, but it is better on others instead of me!
I hate washed and drying mine. Nevermind brushing. But have to do it.
@Ithink (10673)
Ohh my ..lol I always had super long hair and it used to be really thick. Two years I got it cut about 3 inches below the shoulders what freedom! I would have cried if I had been you too!
Right! What a terrible thing to go through lol