How Safe Is The Water You Drink?

Boise, Idaho
I see so many people coming out of the store with baskets full to overflowing with plastic bottles of water. I have never been one to pay for my water and can probably count on one hand the times I have drank bottled water. It is usually the same water as what we drink from our taps anyway. Come to find out the tap water I have been drinking may have as many problems as the bottled water. Plastic bottles are a problem to the environment as well as having chemicals in them used in their production to make the plastic softer. The chemicals can leach into the water. Some bottles are supposedly better than others but, of course, you are paying for that. Tap water can have arsenic, nitrate, lead and carcinogenic chemicals in it. Both can have chemicals in that can cause problems. The best thing you can do is filter your water. These systems can be installed in your refrigerator or sink.
We have a refrigerator where we could filter our water but we don't. It's not hooked up for that, though I so wish it was. I didn't buy the fridge so it wasn't my call as to whether to hook that part up. I boil my tap water in my kettle before pouring it in my ceramic pitcher in the fridge. I want to get either a tap filter or another kind of filter I can put in my fridge. I haven't done the research yet. I'm honestly not sure how good boiling the water does, but I feel better drinking the water after I've boiled it. I will drink water from the store if it was in a glass bottle to begin with. Edited to say: The bottle I bought for my camping trip is glass.
@ptrikha_2 (10362)
@ScribbledAdNauseum Do you have RO - Reverse Osmosis system?
I use a pitcher with a filter in it.
@celticeagle Is it from Brita?
@RubyHawk (29546)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Neither do I buy bottled water. I pay for water in the house. I'm not paying twice. Plastic is destroying the earth. I try to use as little plastic as possible. Wish I didn't have to use it at all.
@ptrikha_2 (10362)
@RubyHawk Water in many developed nations' areas is way better than in many developing countries' areas. So instead of becoming victims to diarrhoea or dysentery or typhoid etc, people prefer bottled water with some bad effects to straightaway getting a disease. I know it is far from ideal but perhaps we need a worldwide movement to clean our rivers and springs and other drinking water sources.
@ptrikha_2 (10362)
@RubyHawk and clean water supply is pretty short for us that is why we need these expensive filters or ROs.
It's a scary situation.
I'm amazed that it isn't worse than it seems to be.
@Starmaiden (7641)
I trust the water in my tap, but I do use a Britra Water Filter. I only purchase bottled water on hot days when I left the house without my water bottle.
So do I. I don't buy any bottled water.
@wolfgirl569 (10400)
• Marion, Ohio
I drink from my tap with no chemicals added to it. Ours comes straight from a well
@db20747 (9433)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
They say its safe her!!! Hope so!!! I drink deer park water, the best!!!!
@Deepizzaguy (15080)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
It is a good idea since after natural disasters, the water in the affected city is not safe to drink.
@peachpurple (12770)
I boil the water even though it is filtered, never drink from the filtered tap either
@ptrikha_2 (10362)
@peachpurple But you need to cool the boiled water too.
@dgobucks226 (13838)
Yes, I use a filter although I must admit I am not obsessed about what is in tap/bottled water.
@sallypup (28651)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I hope my water is okay. Its well water so its coming out of the ground right here.
• Eugene, Oregon
Our city has really good water. I have always thought those filters were another scam.
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
but they too are expensive and if you have to move i am not sure you can just take them with you. this water here is worse then any place i have ever lived. black peices of stuff sometimes come out and we are not sure if it is just the pipes. ordinarily i buy bottled water to switch off and get used to a new area but this time i have stayed on it cause at least we don;t see black stuff floating in it.
I have pitcher with a filter in it.
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
@celticeagle thats great and might work for most water. but this place has little black pieces of something in it sometimes. i need to put in a complaint to the realtors daughter said that we rent from
@bunnybon7 ......That'd be a good idea. Hope you get it straightened out. I think that because we live in a HUD complex they have to have safe water. I'm hoping so anyway.
I have a well and so I am desperately hoping that I don't have anything bad in my water.
Have you had it tested lately?
@celticeagle Nope, I have never had it tested.
@BelleStarr .....Hope it is good and nothing seeps in.
I drink bottled water. I don't like tap, though I will use it for tea.
I use a filter for tap water. I won't buy bottled water.
I have a filter water pitcher an d I use that for my drinking water.
Same here.
@ptrikha_2 (10362)
But I hope we could somehow save our RO waste outlet water but at first floor or above, we cannot drain it out to any underground system or park.
@ptrikha_2 (10362)
Well we either have water filters with UV filtration. Or Reverse Osmosis system with additional sediment filter or UV. But RO has a waste water outlet where a lot of water is used and effectively wasted.