89 year old great grandma completes university degree

@shynu44 (4926)
an 89 year old grandma and great grandmahas completed her university degree in the United States. This should be an inspiration to younger generation.
We connect you to current and upcoming events in Lagos, Nigeria, Africa and the world, list your event for free, we promote events and theater tickets
Awesome news to hear this go Grandma go
@shynu44 (4926)
@Jessabuma (28300)
• Baguio, Philippines
Ohh that's interesting! Very inspiring !
@AKRao24 (18174)
This proves that it is never late to acquire knowledge and education in one's life time! Hats off to the great lady! She is undoubtedly an inspiration to one and all! God bless her!
Actually it also proves that we are limited only by what we allow ourselves to be limited by. Yes, I will admit that there are some things that some people can't accomplish, but there are things that they can and should strive to attain. I've taught myself to do a lot of things, including designing and making jointed teddy bears. I have won over 100 awards at various events with my teddy bears. I realize that I have more to learn about making them and have constantly ordered books that will teach me the additional things I need to know. I even taught myself how to make the joints (round circles that the cotter pins go through and are closed both inside the body and the arm, leg, or head to make those parts of the bear move. So, my friends, don't ever let yourself be limited by what someone else says or expects of you. Look at Grandma and her college degree!
@AKRao24 (18174)
@BearArtistLady , I am really impressed! That is what I mentioned in my response, age is not at all any factor that should come into consideration when we need to learn something new and we are in a position to accomplish physically fit! Thanks.
@shynu44 (4926)
@BearArtistLady , whoow thats inspirational.
@caopaopao (8621)
Wow, congratulate this grandma on this. Young people should learn from her.
Wow! Age doesn't stop an elder to have a diploma,
@ramapo17 (24019)
• Melbourne, Florida
I have always been told that age is just a number. I believe it.
@ramapo17 I also believe that. It is only a cow grows old.
@arunima25 (2454)
• Bangalore, India
This consolidates the though that age is just a number and it s never too late to persuade your dreams.
@shynu44 (4926)
thats true
@arunima25 (2454)
• Bangalore, India
@shynu44 In my weekend Sanskrit class, an old lady of 72 comes to learn a new langauge
@ramapo17 (24019)
• Melbourne, Florida
Exactly.
So many people will reach a point where they will sit an let others wait on them rather than take the day by the tail and make the most of it. I have heard so many people whine and complain that they're bored and don't know what to do or they have nothing to do. This shows that if anyone is willing to put the time in they can continue to not only learn things, but do things. WITHOUT whining "I'm too old".
@shynu44 (4926)
thats true my friend.
@shynu44 Of course I'm kind of stubborn myself. I went up to the car this morning to get the 20 pound bag of cat food out from behind the seat and I couldn't get it out. We went up again this afternoon and I was bound and determined to get it out. Of course I did, put it in my husbands transport vehicle and then carried it into the house myself. I wish more people would stop expecting the world and their family to wait on them and start doing for themselves. It's easy to ask or demand someone to "do for me", but it takes a lot more to start doing for yourself-whether it's a cup of coffee or a college degree. The world measures too much by age rather than ability to do. Instead of thinking a simple person is too limited in knowledge to learn anything, teach him what he can learn. Instead of assuming a person is too old for a job, stop and think that maybe they aren't. Instill in them that same mule headed stubbornness I have and then turn them loose on the world. People can be taught and people can learn.
@shynu44 (4926)
@BearArtistLady , what an amazing information you gave.
@shynu44 Thank you for sharing that amazing story with us.
@shynu44 (4926)
you are welcome.
@sw8sincere (4525)
Well this is amazing it only shows that age is not a hindrance to education.
@ramapo17 (24019)
• Melbourne, Florida
Absolutely.
@sh2ker (166)
• Bury, England
My partner is a carer and mainly looks after the elderly with dementia. It is so nice to here a story like this for a change. And has inspired me to keep learning and following my ambitions.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is so sweet, I love stories like this.
@Porcospino (17873)
• Denmark
It is an inspiring story. A man from my country did something similar. He finished his education as a lawyer when he was 80.
@shynu44 (4926)
wow
@miketagz (7496)
Age doesn't matter. Education really helps.
@mandala100 (43436)
That's wonderful my friend.
@august18 (3034)
• Tunisia
That's impressive!
@vandana7 (64929)
While it certainly is commendable, I wonder why they feel the need for it. We have a person here who has obtained a law degree. He does not practice. He just got it for the sake of it. I am not ok with it. Knowledge acquired needs to be utilized. Obviously at that age, nobody is going to come to him to fight a case for them. Instead, if he had helped four poor children to become lawyers reading books and clear their doubts, he would be remembered more.
In short you're saying when a person reaches a certain age they should just sit in a corner and wait to die? They should just shrivel up and quit being anything in life... How do you know what the man is going to do with his law degree? How do you know that he isn't out there helping poor children to learn what they need to know to become lawyers or doctors or other learned professionals? I am in my 60's now, and am constantly learning. I am constantly reading books and educating myself on various subjects. Now, according to you, I am totally useless and should stop educating myself and go out in the woods and die. I don't always pass along my knowledge, but I try to. I give of myself as much as I possibly can. It isn't easy as I have been to hell and back through my life and more recently having my home burn down and losing everything in my life. Not only just my possessions but my beloved animals that perished in the fire. I wasn't home at the time of the fire so I couldn't save their lives. When I did get home I raced for the house and tried to get into the house to save them...but I was too late as the house was a blazing inferno that was totally engulfed in flames. I wake each morning wishing that I had been in that fire and had perished with my animals too....and your post letting us older people know that our gaining knowledge and even gaining college degrees is useless because of our ages and that we are totally useless because we are old and we should be put out of everyone's misery because of our ages. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!!! In the United States people are working well into their 80's and even into their 90's and they are passing along their knowledge to others that will listen to us useless old farts and what we have to pass along. Stop and consider the fact that just in completing the degree sets an example for others to follow. Many people don't have the means to complete a way to obtain a degree when they are younger and have to wait until they are older to work towards their desired degree. Maybe the person who obtained the degree in their 80's is offering free legal help to those who can't afford to pay huge amounts to attorneys for their services. I am sure there is more to the story than just the person getting their degree in their 80's and then sitting at home on their butt gazing fondly at the degree framed and hanging on the wall beside the television set. A person with that kind of determination is one who isn't going to let the degree go to waste, they are going to go out and use it to help others. They will help people who are in legal trouble, they will appear in court with those who need representation, they will reach out and teach the little ones who need help with their education. Don't "judge" this person by their age and state that " Obviously at that age, nobody is going to come to him to fight a case for them." How do you know that? Again, thank you so much for helping justify my exhistance on the face of this earth. You have made me feel so "great" about everything that has happened. From living through having a brother who beat the daylights out of me every day, who sexually abused me daily until the day my parents finally threw him out of the house (if I had told them it wouldn't have changed things for the better, it would have made the beatings worse....as it was I had butcher knives thrown at me regularily along with beatings with leather belts and electrical cords. I got to watch him kill animals from around the neighborhood...want me to continue? That alone was enough to make me want to give up living). I had a father that anything I did wasn't good enough for him. My Mother didn't believe me when I tried to tell her that I didn't steal from her wallet. I would have her beat my hands to bloody pulps. I finally moved out of the house on my own and my life actually, FINALLY began to look better. I had my own home which I adored and shared with my dog and cats until the fire struck. The fire wasn't my fault, it was caused by the power company. All that I had went up in the flames as I said previously. I was stopped by racing into the burning remains of my home by 5 burly firemen. I still wish they hadn't stopped me, and your delightful comments about the person earning their legal degree has made me wish even harder that I hadn't been saved from the fire...that you have shown me that I am totally useless to the world as I am "OLD" and can't be worth a damned thing. I so totally thank you for opening my eyes and letting me know my worth (and the person who earned their degrees worth). You are truly wise beyond belief and have a loving, giving and understanding heart.
@shynu44 (4926)
she will be happy anytime she remembers he has a degree.
@shynu44 (4926)
@BearArtistLady , wow, thanks for the information.