Do You Listen To Other People's Problem...

@mandala100 (46387)
Hong Kong
...and take those problem with you? Consciously or unconsciously, we turn ourselves into a "sponge" for others people problem that we have heard or shared or confided to us. This analogy with a sponge is fitting since a sponge is defined as "a soft substance that is full of small holes and can absorb a lot of liquid, and is used for washing and cleaning." (dictionary.cambridge.org). I'm a good listener of other people's problem but I don't take those problem with me personally. How about you are you personally affected by other people's problem? Picture credit: indiamart.com
@rakski (18823)
it depends. When it is needed by someone, yes. But if it is just ranting on and on and on..... I might stay away. We always have to determine if it is really a problem or just plain rant from whatever.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's a nice distinction my friend.
@sugartoes (41256)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@rakski I sure hope you don't think I'm just a big problem or just a person that likes to vent or rant on everything.
@rakski (18823)
@sugartoes ahaha. No, not really. There are those people who vent and rant just about everything. That is not you though.
@Jessabuma (33151)
• Baguio, Philippines
Yes, I always listen to friend's problem .
@mandala100 (46387)
That's good my friend and I hope that you are not emotionally affected at all my friend.
@Jessabuma (33151)
• Baguio, Philippines
@mandala100 well it depends on how serious the problem is,
@mandala100 (46387)
@Jessabuma You are right on that my friend.
• Russian Federation
No, I prefer to put a wall, I do not think it will give me any benefits. I am interested only in my relatives. With more life experience, I have understood that first of all, I must care about my well-being (and my relatives). Listening to others' problems is invaluable, a person will not be able to pay me back, so it is worthless for me.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's a good point my friend.
@sugartoes (41256)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@MashaVickina I can understand how some or even MOST people can do that but yes I said BUT what IF your friends needs you for comfort through a rough spot then what will you do turn them away? I can't do that god put us here to help 1 another.
• Russian Federation
@sugartoes My friends are only my relatives and my husbands' relatives. I used to have many friends, especially male, but a couple of years ago, I limited the circle of my closed ones. Giving comfort to many others takes my precious time and reduces my happiness. That is why I am concentrated only on several people. It makes my life happier
@kixsh101 (745)
Wow! Good for you. Personally, I admit I am quiet a sponge. Maybe I'm not too mature or simply it is just the way I am. But honestly I wanted not to be like that.
@mandala100 (46387)
Thanks you for sharing this my friend.
@mlgen1037 (29647)
• Manila, Philippines
Sometimes they do as if you have to find ways to solve their problems.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's right my friend.
@mlgen1037 (29647)
• Manila, Philippines
@mandala100 (46387)
@mlgen1037 Ok my friend.
@arunima25 (4702)
• Bangalore, India
I am a special educator and a counselor to parents with special needs children. So I listen to a lot of problems every day in my profession. Otherwise also I am a good listener and my friends and family open up to me. On a professional level, I stay detached and listen to them. But many a times in my personal life I get emotionally drained and sometimes upset too if the person is very close to me.
@mandala100 (46387)
Thank you for sharing this my friend.
@arunima25 (4702)
• Bangalore, India
@mandala100 You are most welcome!!
@mandala100 (46387)
@arunima25 Thanks my friend.
@mandala100 I have a friend that has problems with her health and the building where she lives and she tell each other how we are feeling.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's alright my friend.
@mandala100 ok Peter.
yes if i see that no ones is listening to this person i will
@mandala100 (46387)
Ok my friend.
@vandana7 (66161)
I think we should listen and try to think of a solution based on our experiences. Who knows we might need those ourselves and who knows we might solve a problem of somebody who might help us in future. Who knows we can get information that will come handy in future. I am open to others problems. That said, I have my responsibilities and I know where to draw lines.
@mandala100 (46387)
Thank you for those thoughts my friend.
@simplfred (4027)
I am a sponge sometimes. When I listen to someone problem I take seriously.
@mandala100 (46387)
I understand that my friend.
Sometimes yes. But, i try to take it out of my mind. I don't like to absorb other people's problem. But if it is a family member, I will and help.
@mandala100 (46387)
Thanks for your comment my friend.
@traceh (404)
• Cape Town, South Africa
It all depends on who the person is and how close I am to them,if it is not a close family or friend I tend to listen but don't take there problem with me, but if it is someone close then I take it personally.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's very true my friend.
• Slovenia
Yes i am. Being an emphat can be stressful sometimes .
@mandala100 (46387)
That's absolutely correct my friend.
• New Baltimore, Michigan
I do tend to carry other people's health problems around with me. Like when my Grandpa had a stroke, my arm would go numb every time I thought about it. I would unintentionally mimic their symptoms. Stuff like that. But regular problems, not so much. I will listen and try to help (as long as it isn't a stupid problem or a boring problem that nobody really cares about and it's evident the person just wants attention.) I'm sorry if that sounded a bit harsh.
@mandala100 (46387)
Thank you for your explanation my friend.
Only if its connected to my work, other than that, no I do not take it home with me.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's good to know my friend.
People who tell me their problems, also ask me to keep it between us. Which I do. I don't ruminate over the problem, but I do pray for the person and hope the problem will resolve itself naturally.
@mandala100 (46387)
Thank you for sharing this my friend.
I listen to others problem and look for a possible solution for it. If don't find solution then also listening and giving helping hand boosts the other up.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's good to know my friend.
@chicnthin (2830)
I do, sometimes it affects me but it really depends on the situation.
@mandala100 (46387)
That's very true my friend.
@Theresaaiza (10485)
more like I have friends who tell me their problems whether I choose to listen or not :D And sometimes you do get sucked in to their problematic lives that it gets hard to tell which one is your problem and which is one isn't. I just call it empathy
@mandala100 (46387)
Thanks for your comment my friend.
@db20747 (8489)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
I listen and try 2 offer advice!!!! Sometimes I do take it with me!!!! And tell others about the problem they had although I don't give any names!!! I'll just say a friend of mine!! I wish I wouldn't let myself get so involved!!!
@mandala100 (46387)
Thank you for your thoughts my friend.