To speak its language well, how important is it to know something about the culture of a country?

@RodrickH (12551)
China
My opinion is it's so important that knowing something about the culture when learning a language. Language is related to culture, that's why if we want to learn a language well we should know about the culture. To speak its language well, how important is it to know something about the culture of a country?
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
For me it's very important. When I want to learn other language, of course it includes all the cultures and traditions to that country, as you have said language is related to culture and I think it helps .
@RodrickH (12551)
Yes, better knowing culture first
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
@RodrickH that's true
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
It is important simply because it shows respect.
@RodrickH (12551)
Yes, it shows that you respect it
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@RodrickH Thank you, Rodrick. We should always remember that.
@Icydoll (24600)
It is very important to know their culture also when learning new languages.
@RodrickH (12551)
That's true
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I think it's very important. Sometimes some words might have a literal interpretation but different social connotations as well. I think it's more respectful to try to learn the culture together with the language and I think in formal classes for the most part this is how languages are taught. I can be corrected though...
@RodrickH (12551)
Yes, can't believe some teachers ignore that, learning culture before learning a language is so important
@louievill (19639)
It's very important to learn the taboos and what is not allowed and acceptable be it in speech or in action first otherwise everything is useless.
@RodrickH (12551)
Yes, we have to keep in mind that language is related to culture
@kanchan10 (3414)
• Kolkata, India
knowing the culture also makes the learning bit more easier. i think.
@RodrickH (12551)
It may smth the learning process
@sabtraversa (13331)
It's important to understand the expressions and the correct use of words. For instance, the swear words. In some countries, it's normal to overdo, in others it can be very offensive. But culture evolves with time, so there could be a different vocabulary for each age group. I don't know how important it is, but I believe it speeds up the learning process.
@RodrickH (12551)
Yes, that's why I believe it's better to learn culture first
It's important to know about the culture to master any language as words are always related to the culture
@RodrickH (12551)
That's so ture