Only the beautiful!

Pexels image
I posted a discussion about this back in 2015 when I was a member of the now defunct Bubblews site. The post was about a Korean restaurant in China which offered free meals to beautiful customers. Every day, fifty people could eat free at the restaurant - only if they were judged beautiful. Those customers who want to eat free are taken to a "beauty identification area" where their faces are scanned and a panel of judges - made up of plastic surgeons - decide who qualifies. Those who don't must pay full price for their meal. The restaurant was opened in 2015 and I am wondering if it is still in operation or has closed long ago. I also wonder about the reaction from customers who felt they were beautiful enough to eat free, but the judges thought otherwise. Would you patronise such a restaurant? and do you think the aim of the organisers was to secure more business for the plastic surgeons?
can this be under discrimination there?
I am not sure. They were forced to remove the sign which said something like - free meals for beautiful people.
@Kandae11 I see.Well then they should have one for the ugly.No that would not go over big.What do I know LOL
@FayeHazel (22124)
• Preston, England
not a very nice way to run the business at all - I'd be happy to be too ugly to eat there
I wonder if it is still in business.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 hopefully it has changed its attitude - if they don't let these guys in, I'll boycott them
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/RednexOfficial/ Tour schedule - http://www.bandsintown.com/Rednex Live stream - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNbpbNT...
@arthurchappell No way ! Those guys and girls in that video won't get anywhere near.
This concept just seems crazy to me. I definitely wouldn't patronize such a place but I can imagine it would be a low blow if you thought you were beautiful and the judges didn't
The rejected won't be enjoying the remainder of their meal I'm sure.
@mlgen1037 (29609)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Kandase. I will not patronize because for me it is absurd.
I think so too.
@mlgen1037 (29609)
• Manila, Philippines
@Kandae11 And it can be mean too to other people.
@josie_ (8012)
Research have shown that beautiful people get better service or treatment. This Korean restaurant's offer is another proof of this. But no I would not patronize this establishment. My purpose of going inside a restaurant is to satisfy my appetite and not to get my self-esteem bash in.
I agree with you, that is why the cosmetic industry is big business. They say "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" so I guess there must have been many disappointed patrons.
@josie_ (8012)
@Kandae11 _Maybe the promo gimmick has logic. Although there may have been disappointed patrons, how about those narcissists who won't admit to themselves the outcome of the test. They've be going back again and again until the test say otherwise. Think Trump.
I would not patronize a restaurant like that. Seems like the experience could be quite a negative one for many.
It could actually spoil one's appetite.
@Icydoll (27533)
I won't go to a place like that and sure this would make more business for plastic surgery..this is very ridiculous
It certainly is. I'd really like to know if it is still there.
I think it might be a bit tough to take for those who think they are beautiful but judged otherwise. I am only cute so I would have to pay lol
I would like to see the faces of those who thought they would qualify - when they are told they must pay.
@Kandae11 lol Yes me too!! Most people who think they are beautiful are excessively vain!!
I think that is a discrimination to clients. But maybe I would like to try their identification area to see if I passed their "beautiful" criteria.
It is discrimination - but then, there are many other restaurants where anyone can eat and everyone pays. Remember too, there are restaurants where you can be turned away if you are considered to be dressed improperly.
@Kandae11 I agree. We as clients should take note of these restaurants.
@FayeHazel (22124)
Oh good thought - would make more business for plastic surgery. I wouldn't go to such a place. Even if I thought I was beautiful enough to win... I don't think it's fair or nice to judge people on looks alone.
People could be beautiful on the outside and ugly on the inside.
@FayeHazel (22124)
@Kandae11 True. I wish people looked like what their insides are
I won't go to a place like that. But I am sure the plastic surgeons had their hands in it.
I think the plastic surgeons had offices in the same building.
@Kandae11 Bingo.
@Dena91 (4850)
I would think it would drive business down instead of up. I'm there to eat, not to be judged by someones definition of what beautiful is. And the only reason I would ever have plastic surgery would be in case of an accident or illness. So the plastic surgeons there would be wasting their time trying to convince me otherwise.
They probably went bankrupt. I would love to know if they are still around.
@RubyHawk (30532)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I wouldn't eat at such a horrible place. It must have been to secure work for the surgeons.
Possibly -like sending a message that it would be worth everyone's while to look beautiful . With the help of the surgeons of course.
@RubyHawk (30532)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Kandae11 Of course, the surgeons were probably paying off the restaurant.
@vandana7 (68961)
It may have been a marketing campaign. I would go to such a restaurant if it was for uglier ones so that I get free meals. LOL. Kidding as usual. lol. It may actually be to identify what people consider to be beautiful so that they can decide to hone their skills in that direction. Not sure I would patronize it, but it is interesting news for sure. :)
There has to be some reason behind it - whatever the reasons, I think the owners plan to gain in some way.
I would have to go in just to see if I was beautiful enough, I can bet its not there anymore.
I think it would have many visitors - if only for curiousity sake.
• Bucharest, Romania
It sounds a little bit ridiculous.
There has to be a motive somewhere.
I've eaten at a Korean restaurant in Hong Kong, but had to pay full price.
I am sure it wasn't the same one.
@Kandae11 Well, it was well before 2015.
@DianneN I knew it couldn't be the same one.
@Shiva49 (14498)
I will have to pay then for the beautiful people who should be better off than me. I won't patronize it as I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is the inner beauty that counts and it takes more than a cursory look to assess - siva
I didn't think of it that way. You are sitting in the same restaurant and must pay your bill while those who are deemed beautiful eat free. That does seem rather unfair.
@Shiva49 (14498)
@Kandae11 What I meant was I will be indirectly paying for them as the restaurant will have to charge higher from those who end up paying - siva
@Shiva49 Exactly!
That sounds mean to me.
Its up to customers to walk on by or try their luck.
@Kandae11 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just cuz some narrow defitinion of beauty doesn't fit someone does not mean they are not beautiful..shame on this restaurant for having such a shallow concept honestly.
@snowy22315 I agree - shame on them
• Cape Town, South Africa
Such an establishment is discriminatory in every which way. Is it then up to as the owner whether a "more beautiful" person's money has greater value then mine? For if that is so, I will gladly go and spend it at a restaurant that values its customers irrespective of their appearances or diversities.
I think it was a publicity gimmick - or aimed at getting more work for the plastic surgeons who made up the panel of judges - and had offices in the same building.
• Cape Town, South Africa
@Kandae11 Did it have to be done in such a callous way though? Must have been extremely off-putting for the neutral patron.
@notewise777 It would be very demoralising for those who felt they would make it.