Victorian Trick Photography Was Really Weird

In the Victorian era, some photographers were quite skilled when it came to trick photography. For some strange reason, headless photos and floating images were hilarious to folks living in the 19th century. In their photos, 19th-century customers requested floating heads, heads held in the hands, heads on laps, or heads held by another person in the photo. To jazz those headless photos up a bit, customers liked to add some floating furniture, particular floating objects, and even a floating body belonging to another person. Combining multiple negatives was the method used to create headless-person, floating-people, and floating-object photos. Of course, those trick-photography photos in the 19th century would cost a person a few extra bucks, but I do believe the Victorian era was an era filled with a lot of joy. If those weird photos made those 19th-century humans chuckle a bit, good for them. Photo: By Charles William Allen c. 1818
Skip navigation Sign in Search Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose Stéphane Langlois Loading... Unsubscribe
What a bizarre form of entertainment.
I think the 19th century was one long yawn, so I suppose they did weird things to make life a lot less boring.
@Corbin5 it’s a bit creepy to me
@Tampa_girl7 Me too! There was one of a child holding his head that was a free-to-use photo, but just couldn't bring myself to use that one for this post.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Oh wow. They didn't have photoshop then so the photographer must have been quite skilled
Yes, using multiple negatives produced those photos. Must have taken a long time to just get one photo completed.
@FayeHazel (19112)
@Corbin5 I can't imagine. Fun to know people had sense of humor back then though
@nela13 (7729)
• Portugal
Photographs had a lot of work to do that photos, some are creepy.
Yes, photos from that era really can be on the creepy side.
@nela13 (7729)
• Portugal
@Corbin5 I have never understood people who likes morbid things.
@nela13 Me neither. Life is hard enough with everyday happenings.
Those were some great pictures.
Very clever thing to achieve for back in the day.
@Corbin5 Yes, it was.
@arunima25 (6674)
• Bangalore, India
Thanks for sharing!! With no technology advancements and photoshop, it would be a lot of effort, time and skill.
I think so too. So much time was needed to create photos like that.
@arunima25 (6674)
• Bangalore, India
@Corbin5 And definitely the patience! Modern technology has taken that pleasure away
@Aquitaine24 (1337)
• San Jose, California
it looks like a great Halloween prop.Can't imagine photos like that being used for any official purposes,but it certainly is strange.
Yes, I suppose Victorian folks felt it quite humorous.
@kepweng (17784)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i got scared so photoshoped already existed a long time?
Well, no photoshop in the 19th century, so multiple negatives were used to create those headless photos.
Hmm. Makes you wonder if that is how they viewed the afterlife? Of course it compares pretty well to all of our crime dramas.
It sure is a creepy result for a photo. Maybe things were so awful in the 19th century, anything that was odd took people's minds off of their misery.
that is pretty creepy there
I think so too.
@sabtraversa (13330)
Why the creepy music? Weren't the photos enough? People were into macabre stuff back then, for sure.
Oh yes, back then, things were just yucky. Why they were drawn to that type of stuff is beyond me.
I don't suppose there was much entertainment for people in those days. I mean - compare then to now.
That is what I think. Things could get pretty glum in the 19th century, so a little humor was necessary. Yes, those photos are tame compared to the ones we see now.
• Pamplona, Spain
Lots of talent there in the Victorian times. Not a photo I would make myself but its great to know that they could do great things. Thank you for sharing this one.
You are welcome. It is nice to know that creativity was live and well during that time period.
@lovinangelsinstead21 I have seen those. That really was such a morbid things to do, but I suppose it was of importance to them.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 I suppose we have to realize that they would have no other way of keeping a good memory of them in life itself. Its true its morbid but other things are much more morbid to me at least.
I don't see the fascination for these types of photos, but then again, I have more to occupy my "entertainment time" then they did back then.
Yep, those poor folks probably led pretty drab lives, so a funny photo helped perk things up a bit.
@Corbin5 So boring in those days that they took to hoping in barrels and floating over the falls in the Niagara region.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Deborah. What can I say? They were creative during those days.
There was not much to do for entertainment back then, and I suppose those photos were something new and different.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
@Corbin5 I agree with you, Deborah. But that was rather creepy for me but it worked for them during that time.
@alberello75 (18427)
• Genova, Italy
Obviously. at that time, no special effects. But the pictures were always macabre!
So true. Some very scary pictures came from that era.
@alberello75 (18427)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Exactly. Even today, they are impressive!
@dya80dya (4788)
It's a strange picture.
Rather creepy it is.
• Cape Town, South Africa
@Corbin5 Victorian Era photos will give me nightmare for days. So glad I hardly bother to explore them
I agree. Some of those photos from the 19th century are just too creepy for me.
@traceh (427)
• Cape Town, South Africa
Wow that is so creepy and In a way so clever of the photographers to figure out how it was done. now days it is so easy to changes images.
I bet it took a long time for a photographer to create a photo like that.
I love these! Brilliant, and such skill!
I bet one of these would sell for big bucks.
I love it! I would buy s few of those to hang for a chuckle today.
I will have to check to see if any are for sale, Perhaps they do sell for big bucks.