Beginners Luck

My first rug.
@drannhh (15206)
I took a deep breath and threw this little rug in the washing machine. If I had bought this at a store the edges would be all even and whenever I saw it in years to come I would think "Where did I buy that cute little rug?" But as I am newby to wove it a little uneven and lumpy. It is, after all, a rag rug, so it ought to look a little raggy. When I see it I will say, "That is the first rug I ever made!" It is woven on a peg loom from Himself's old shirts. This makes it precious to me, so I'm very glad it held up in the wash. It should because the twine I wove it from was tarn, a stretchy "yarn" plied from strips of repurposed t-shirts from the rag bag. Have you ever made a rug? Was it a t-shirt rug or some other kind? What do you do with your old t-shirts?
I haven't woven rugs, but I did weave pot holders when I was a kid. Mom had a drawer FULL of them. I must have made her 40 or 50 pot holders. I made them from anything and everything that I could cut up and string through the warp (or was it weft?) threads. Mom used those pot holders for many years, and even gave a few away to friends as gifts.
@drannhh (15206)
Warp it was, @BearArtistLady and did you make the adorable bear you use as an avatar? It is very sweet.
@drannhh That is one of my creations. I had given it to one of my neighbors a few years ago and last October, after the fire, she called me and asked me if I would like it back since I had lost everything I owned. Of course I accepted her and she has caught many of my tears over the past few months. She also has also prompted me to NOT quit making teddy bears even though I lost all my supplies. The bear is a very important part of my life and every night when I clear the collection of stuffed animals off the bed she gets an extra special hug!
@drannhh (15206)
@BearArtistLady Thank you for sharing that and tonight please give her an extra hug for me. I have made a few bears, but nothing as fancy as that one.
I wear my old t shirts till they are rags to be trash canned. The rug is awesome!
@drannhh (15206)
Me, too! But sometimes I buy them at a thrift shop, wear them a few times and then add them to the rag pile, which I now call my tarn pile.
All this is Greek to me as I am miles away from a needle and the yarn (lol) You seem quite pleased and that is all that matters.
@drannhh (15206)
Thank you, what a nice thing to say.
I sometimes believe that you are born with the gene to use a needle and thread. I started sewing when I was around 5 years old, and am still an avid seamstress. I use my sewing expertise now to design and make teddy bears and dress them. I recently moved into my boyfriend's home (after my home burned to the ground) and his place is now "decorated" with little bits of fake fur. I've seen him take a paper towel and "pick up and squish" the little "bugs" that are on his white carpet. He'll look in the paper towel to make sure he killed the bug and he'll find that it was only a small piece of fur from one of the bears I'm working on. Each of us has our spot in life when it comes to what we do. Some of us weave, sew, paint, wood work or any number of other things. Others are meant for other pursuits. I've found it fun to connect with every one from every walk of life here on the lot. I've learned a lot from other members and love the connection with them.
@drannhh (15206)
@BearArtistLady You started a year younger than me! We find out a lot about each other fast on myLot. Glad you are here.
I was going to take up rug making one time but got to busy. Now that I am semi retired I might try it now.
@drannhh (15206)
Congratulations on being semi-retired @popciclecold and I hope you will have time to do everything you want to do!
@drannhh When I go to town I will look up some rug making material. Thanks for sharing.
@drannhh (15206)
@popciclecold Why not just tear up an old sheet? You will need some warp yarn however.
@mlgen1037 (23421)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Dr Ann. I have never tried making rugs. I usually donate them if the shirts are usable but if not, will use it as a rug or for cleaning.
@drannhh (15206)
Hi, Louise @mlgen I am sure some people will be very glad to get them.
@mlgen1037 (23421)
• Manila, Philippines
@drannhh I agree with you. It still has its uses.