Buying on sale

The question of the day, when you find something that you use a lot of on sale, do you stock up? Bill and I were in town yesterday to deal with my recycling and after I cashed in the cans and bottles (I made $43.63) we did some shopping. I went to one of my favorite spots, Goodwill Industries thrift shop, and then we went grocery shopping. The store had the tea I use daily on special where if you bought 5 of the same item the price dropped dramatically. In the case of the tea the normal price for it is around $7 a box. They had it on sale where if you bought one or two boxes it was $3.49 but if you bought five boxes it dropped another dollar a box. Of course I stocked up. Bill wasn't happy about my stocking up. Not because it was more money than we could afford, but because we could afford to buy the tea when I needed it rather than stocking up. But as I tried to get through to him, by buying the 5 boxes all at once I saved over $20! Anyhow, I got to wondering if I was strange in the fact that when something is on a good (or great) sale I stock up. Do you stock up?
@sallypup (28549)
• Moses Lake, Washington
We try to keep big bags of staples like beans and rice in the house at all times. Good on ya for those sales.
Thank you! I keep staples like pasta on hand as much as I can. OH and pasta sauce. Bill isn't used to Italian cooking so it's fun surprising him with some of my favorites like lasagna and manicotti. He had manicotti for the first time and wasn't too sure about it until he had his first bite. It was like a small child sampling something for the first time...he was so cute! I just wish I could get him to eat mushrooms and fish.
@sallypup (28549)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@BearArtistLady I know about manicotti but never made it. Tasty!
@sallypup Manicotti is really easy to make! You cook the tubes first and then squirt the filling in as soon as the tubes cool, then line them up in the pan, cover with the sauce and bake until it's hot. YUM!
No your not strange I buy the same way. It saves a lot of money stocking up when there are sales like this!
@BearArtistLady I wouldn't like to be in such a crowded room but sometimes you have to make do and I know you have. That is a huge savings for eggs I'd likely but two cartons. I make scrambled eggs for my daughter and I but I don't use any oil to cook them.
@shaggin Actually, I don't do crowds either. I think that comes from all the people that were at the house when it was on fire, being among a lot of strangers brings that back to me. I bought two dozen eggs too. I will use them mostly in baking, but I also enjoy an egg sandwich and occasionally a scrambled egg breakfast (no fat). I also bought some steak that they had on sale for $2.88 a pound. I got a nice piece that would normally sell for around $15 for $5 (the butcher likes me for some odd reason...lol). That will last us for four or five meals.
@BearArtistLady wow steak that cheap is a steal for sure! I just got eggs this weekend for 78 cents.
We always stock up if it is something that will keep. Like you, it's possible to make huge savings from time to time.
I'm getting a kick out of Bill and his reaction to what I have in the cart at the store. I'm not too big on stocking up on stuff we don't use a lot of, but when the savings are so big you have to stock up (if it's stuff that doesn't spoil like the tea). He keeps telling me that I don't HAVE to stock up, yet he doesn't listen when I tell him that the savings makes it worth while to stock up. When you figure that I got the tea for $20 less it's stupid NOT to stock up.
@BearArtistLady I agree with you. Some people just can't see it though, can they?
@JudyEv I think with Bill it's a case of his not having the money to be able to buy what he wants. Now he is in a better financial situation and it makes him feel good not having to watch for sales on foods or other things. I'm the opposite and watch for the good sales on everything I use. If the item that is on sale is out of stock I get a rain check so that I can buy the item later He gets a bit touchy about my getting rain checks too, but I carefully explain to him that as consumers we have the right to purchase the item when it is on sale and it's the store's responsibility to have enough of the merchandise on hand when they post a sale. So if the store is out of the item you can get a rain check so that you can get the item at the sale price later when the store gets more of that stock in. He still doesn't agree with my getting rain checks, but he has stopped grumbling about them.
@1hopefulman (32503)
If the sale is good than I'll buy some extra products as it seems to make sense.
When you can save more than what you spend for something it makes a ton of sense. I'm wondering if he would simply buy one of something that he uses a lot of, say motor oil, if it was on such a fantastic sale. I don't stock up on the things that could spoil quickly or that we occassionally use, but like in the case of the tea it made a LOT of sense...especially since I switched to organicly grown tea. It has a better taste and I feel better knowing that there wasn't a ton of chemicals used in growing the tea.
@1hopefulman (32503)
@anikoonline (3259)
• Hungary
Yes, I do. However we live in a small flat, so we have no space for stock up.
@BarBaraPrz (20761)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I occasionally will buy two of something when it's at a good price, but I don't really have the place to store things. That was a good deal on the tea.