The tale/tail of a horse

Bunbury, Australia
We have now stayed three nights in Latrobe Caravan Park in Latrobe, northern Tasmania, on the Mersey River. It is only ten minutes from where Vince was taking photos at the State’s Championship Endurance Ride (for horses). There is really fast, free internet here and Vince has been able to download his photos, process them and get them onto a FB photo album for everyone to see. It has also meant that I’ve been able to come to myLot from time to time and download my own photos which, of course, are equally as important as Vince’s, if not more so. It is really cold here and Friday was really wet and windy. Amazingly the main day of the ride, Saturday, was fine although cold. We drove out into the forest at 7am to get photos and we nearly froze although we had as many clothes on as we could manage. Staying in the park means we can have a heater on in the caravan which has been very welcome too. Maybe we won’t be doing as much free camping as we thought we would. The photo is of the winner at the end of the ride waiting for results of the ‘Best Conditioned Horse’. Notice how the horse’s tail has been beautifully plaited complete with coloured ribbons. I bet they both sleep well tonight.
Sounds like you are having a fun trip. I would love to be able to see Tasmania. I know that in the days of the penal colony many prisoners were first to Tasmania. Do they have historic sites related to that era? Are either you or Vince descended from the prisoners? I know my cousin Ella is hoping to find one (her part of the family went to Australia) but our common line came out as free men from Ireland.
As far as we're aware there are no convicts in our ancestors. Vince's family are from Ireland and England and mine from Prussia and I think England. We are going to Port Arthur soon which was a penal colony for the very worst of the prisoners. Apparently it is an idyllic place but with a very brutal history. Then in 1996 a gunman went on a rampage there killing 35 and wounding 23.
• Eugene, Oregon
They both look exhausted. Pretty nice decorated tail the horse has.
This rider has done very well and I think he has over 9,000 kms to credit over various rides.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv I hope he has more than one horse.
@JamesHxstatic Yes, he does. At least three of his other horses were lent to other riders on the day. Two people came from Queensland to ride two of them. Others had borrowed horses too. They're very generous. I would never have lent my pony for anything.
@sprite1950 (13971)
• Corsham, England
Horses are such beautiful creatures and intelligent too. The braiding is lovely. I bet they did sleep well!
There were also about four juniors (under 18) who rode 100 miles yesterday too. They looked pretty tired as well they might.
@sprite1950 (13971)
• Corsham, England
@JudyEv Aww bless them, I used to ride horses and it was pretty tiring. I used to get quite saddle sore!
@sprite1950 I used to get rubbed legs sometimes when I rode.
Congratulations to the winning horse and, that is pretty cool.
It was a pretty cool ride too - cool as in very cold!
@JudyEv Are you guys in winter time?
@TRBRocks420 Yes it is winter now.
@YrNemo (12657)
Admire you and Vince for your incredible energy (traveling here and there).
Thanks. It's very comfortable really in this park. This is our third night here but we'll try to free camp tomorrow. We'll still be pretty comfortable but won't have heating which we might miss, especially when it's time to get up.
@YrNemo (12657)
@JudyEv brrr.... (I will think of you when I enjoy the warm sun here.)
@xFiacre (4431)
@judyev Sorry - all I can think of is how mucky that fancy plaiting is going to get, positioned where it is. Still, it does a good job of prettifying something I’d rather not be looking at!
Luckily the horse will defecate on the other side of all this lovely plaiting and unless it has a problem there will be very little 'mess' even under the tail.
@xFiacre (4431)
@JudyEv now that I have reflected on the issue I marvel at how tailed creatures always move their tails out of the line of fire. Clever beasts.
@sueznewz2 (9969)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm glad you are having a nice time... even though a bit cold at times... the tail is nicely decorated...
Often they don't bother too much with endurance horses - about tidying them up too much but in Tasmania the horses all looked really well groomed.
You really meant "end" of the ride!
Yes, that's right. The tail-end of the ride.
@mlgen1037 (29658)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Judy. That is one cute braid that horse has. I am happy to hear from you again.
Some of the horses had had their coats clipped short so they wouldn't sweat so much and some even had patterns clipped into their coats.
@mlgen1037 (29658)
• Manila, Philippines
@JudyEv Wonderful. I would like to see other colors of those. Very beautiful.