Soon, There Will Be No More

Daylily plants have a tendency to multiply over time. Daylilies send out tubers that cause additional daylily plants to spread at warp speed. When we bought this house six years ago, I did not know that the reasonable number of daylilies I viewed in the many gardens here would result in an unreasonable number of daylily plants. I do not like daylily plants. My least favorite color is orange. The majority of the daylily plants here produce orange flowers. Yuck. I am going to destroy all those daylily plants in my gardens. In time, those daylily plants will be just a memory here. A few days ago, I cut 10 daylily plants down to ground level. I then placed two very heavy, decorative bricks on top of the ground-level remains belonging to each daylily plant that that was leveled by me. I stood atop each decorative brick to press it into the soil. Those brick-topped daylily plants will no longer receive any sunlight, and without sunlight, I am hoping they will die. If the brick-topped daylily plants die in a week or two, I will repeat the cut-and-cover-with-decorative-bricks process with 10 more daylilies I will cut to ground level. Eventually I will be free of those darn daylilies.
• Uzbekistan
Why this hate against this innocent flower?Why haven't you added a photo of the flower? We have them in the front garden. They must be more than half a century old. Nobody ever does anything for them but they bloom faithfully every year. At the moment they are in full bloom. Sadly, this will be over soon and then they do nothing for the rest of the year.
Mine have not flowered yet. As soon as the flowers bloom, I cut them off. I have to cut over 35 of those daylily plants down in August, and then once again in October, to make the gardens look presentable. I am so over cutting those things down.
@rakski (22013)
Aw. Such a beautiful flowers
• Uzbekistan
@rakski I like them, too.
Um...just dig the bulbs out.
Well, the bulbs are numerous for one plant. Some of the bulbs are attached to tubers that are underground and those tubers produce plants many feet away from the main plant. Daylilies can be seen growing in the lawn due to tubers with bulbs attached that have traveled quite a distance. In the photo, the daylily plant has been removed but left behind is the part of the root left behind, and that left behind root has a bulb attached, and a new daylily will pop up somewhere far away from parent plant. I could dig up the entire front and backyard to get them all.
@Corbin5 Dad digs his bed occasionally to thin them out
@JolietJake I have decided just to kill 'em all. I find a great amount of joy in doing that. The daylilies have killed quite a few other perennials in the garden.
We were at our son's place earlier this weekend, and he has a lot of them also. His are almost as tall as I am, and they all need to go. I would imagine that he'll dig them out, trying to get as much of the roots as possible.
Yes, digging them out is a good idea, but those tubers really travel a long way. Round-Up will kill them, but it will kill other plants in the area. Covering them with wet newspaper and putting 3 inches of mulch on top of that works to deprive them of sunlight too, but I did not want to haul mulch home.
@Corbin5 This home that they bought earlier this year has been uncared for by the previous owners for the past 10 years that they resided there. He is playing catch up on so many fronts as a result. The beds all still have that awful lava rock in them, and they have scooped up wheelbarrow loads full, but they still have lots more to go. And the lilies are growing up in that area. Its such a dated mess. I think that he'll have it looking wonderful, but he'll spend this entire season just removing the old before he can plant new year. But he's young, and ambitious......like we used to be!
@Juliaacv Oh, with all the work that young couple is doing, their home will be lovely. Yes, the young ones have the ability to do that kind of work. I am so over that kind of work.
Maybe Molly will help you if you ask her? Do those tubers stay from year to year and the ones that did not bloom will bloom the next year, is that how you get so many? I don't grow flowers, so I have no experience with them. Hopefully, your method helps to rid of them. A quick question? Are the tubers visible so that you could pick them up before they bloom?
Yes, the tubers even stretch into the grass and daylilies can be seen popping up on the lawn. No, the tubers are underground and there is no way anyone can dig them all out, but blocking the sunlight that the plants need to survive is the best method to kill the plant and the tubers.
@ramapo17 (25579)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Corbin5 If you let them all grow you won't have to mow the lawn.
@ramapo17 That is for sure. Our house will not need any outdoor upkeep due to those plants hiding the house eventually. Just went out and cut a few more down. In August, I will cover all with a weed barrier and cover that with mulch, and they will be no more.
I don`t understand your hate for flowers. They are living things and you are killing them. Dig them up and put a free sign on them as you set them on the roadside. I may have to get approved to march in your town, up and down your road, with signs " Save The Day Lilies!"
@ramapo17 (25579)
• Melbourne, Florida
@andriaperry that is funny, I will join you.
@sallypup (28509)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Day lilies are common here and yet I've never indulged. I feel sorry for your poor lilies.
Well, I will be glad when they are all gone. They are far too invasive a plant for me to handle.
@sallypup (28509)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 You'd hate oregano then. Its called a ground cover for a reason.
@crossbones27 (21176)
• Redlands, California
Damn, came here expecting an apocalypse post and all I got was an apocalypse post. Just not how I expected. Down with all those loser plants.
• Redlands, California
@Corbin5 Can I say it, please let me say it. Going to say it. So they are Trump plants. Yay, I said It. I make bad jokes.
@crossbones27 You can say it.
I can just imagine how much of a hard work that is. Hope you aren't exhausted.
I just do about 10 at a time, so I can manage pretty well. It is carrying the bricks to place over what is left of the daylilies that is a bit of a struggle for me.
@YrNemo (14709)
No wonder they sell them at a reasonable price whenever those flowers are in season. They are nice flowers (but yours are in orange only? ).
I have purple and yellow in one of the gardens, and they are small. I will keep those, but the orange ones are just too invasive.
@YrNemo (14709)
@Corbin5 (If I ever plant those, i will make sure to find a way to restrict their growth. We have trouble in the past with some iris. Until this day, 5 years on, and I still have to kill the new plants which keep popping up every year. The old seeds from the old flowers, seem to last for a long time.)
@YrNemo I am using your plan. If the new ones pop up, off with their heads!!! I removed over 30 today, and if I see a green shoot, I will whack it off!
• Pamplona, Spain
Oh dear not a very popular thing in your garden. If you don´t want them there then it sounds like a good idea to get rid of them the best way you can. Good luck there.
Eventually, they will all be gone. They do choke and kill any new plants I add to the gardens, so they will have to go.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 They say the same about Sunflowers also don´t know if that is true though.
• Pamplona, Spain
@peavey (16866)
To each their own, but I love daylilies! They remind me of my old home. A friend gave me a small clump several years ago and I have had the worst time keeping them alive. Finally, a couple of years ago, they bloomed and the guys who mowed the lawn mowed them down! They didn't even try last year but I see buds on them this year.
I am glad you like daylilies. If I just had a few here, they could stay, but there are far too many and they choke the life out of other plants in the gardens.
@peavey (16866)
@Corbin5 Oh, I understand. In the right place under the right circumstances, they grow like weeds. I have the same problem with morning glories.
@Corbin5 Will they grow back again after you destroy all of them?
Well, I did dig out all the tubers and those tubers are the cause for more sprouting. If any do decided to grow back, I will just dig them out when they are tiny.
@Corbin5 Sounds like a lot of work but if it works that is good isn't it?
@Hannihar Yes, it is.
@traceh (427)
• Cape Town, South Africa
We have the Aurm Lily here in SA which is so beautiful. Not sure about the daylily, but they are just as beautiful looking at pictures.
I found an image of the Arum Lily and it is lovely. Much prettier than the daylilies I have in my garden. I pulled out more of them today because there are just too many and they choke the other plants in the garden. I have the lily in the photo. The bloom only lasts one day, then falls to the ground.
@traceh (427)
• Cape Town, South Africa
@Corbin5 it would be beautiful if the blooms lasted longer. We have a beautiful creeper plant in our garden but we also have to keep cutting it down, because as you mentioned it also chokes the other plants in our garden.
@traceh I was out in the gardens again today, and I removed 32 daylily plants. I have more to go, but it was hot out there!!!
I don't mind them at all. I keep mine behind the house in a rock wall area. Good luck killing those tubers.
I removed over thirty today, and I have more to go. They are choking the pretty ground cover and they have killed a new bleeding heart and a new hydrangea. I have 5 gardens in front and every one of them has daylilies along with a variety of other perennials. I will kill them all eventually.
@Corbin5 I would do the same if they killed my bleeding hearts and hydrangeas!
@DianneN I am delighting in the carnage!!!
Since I don't know anything about gardening, that's the kind I need to plant. Lol
Yes, it cannot be killed easily and it spreads like crazy. I removed even more today.
@Corbin5 Well, I just need to get some started lol.
@CarolDM (2293)
I love these flowers but we all have our own opinions about what we want in our gardens.
Yes, each individual does have preferences when it comes to flowers. These shoot out runners that choke the other plants in the garden, and those choked plants die. Since these are now gone, the gardens have a wider variety of flowers due to getting more nutrients and water usually taken by the day lilies.
@CarolDM (2293)
@Corbin5 I understand what you are saying.
@saurabhrmp (2273)
• Hyderabad, India
Just because you dont like that color, you can't destroy the plant. Color of flower is not in the hand of plant and also your choice of color is not in the hand of plant. Then why you are destroying them. If som body doesnt like your house color, so for just sake if he deatroy house then what would you do
Well, the plants kill any other plants planted in the gardens, so go they must. They are very invasive plants.
• Hyderabad, India
@Corbin5, if a more powerful person/thing destroy your property and that time if you can't do anything then you will realize that what will be happening with those plants.
orange isn't that bad.. but isn't the prettiest either, lol
I have smaller yellow daylilies and purple daylilies, and they get to stay.
@KristenH (24930)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Poor flowers. I think the day lillies over here have gone and wilted away. They were pretty while they lasted.
I do wish mine would go away and never return. They are very invasive plants, just like weeds.
@KristenH (24930)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 Oh wow. There's only a patch of them near the daffodils and other plants. Real pretty though.
• Walnut Creek, California
I am rooting for the daylilies. Buwaahaahaa!
Those little suckers are hard to get rid of, that's for sure. My plan is to dip a paintbrush in RoundUp Grass and Weed Killer and slather that on what remains after the plants are hacked to ground level. The paintbrush-method prevents the "killer" from getting on other plants.