It's a Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Garden Art in my Front Flower Bed
@bagarad (12618)
Paso Robles, California
Probably I should be out doing something about the weeds you see in the photo, but I'm not. I'm sitting at my computer processing photos for my next post for my gardening blog. I think it will be about what's blooming in mid-June in my neighborhood. This is a small portion of my front flower bed. My little garden angel is resting with one wing in the catmint and the other in the burr clover. There is a blue pincushion flower (scabiosa) in the top left corner and a borage blossom in the top right corner. The pot behind the angel holds the original catmint plant from which the rest escaped into the garden. A baby borage leaf is tickling the angel's cheek. From the bottom, the burr clover and weedy grasses are trying to invade and dominate the garden. It won't be long before the catmint blooms. I'm not sure how long it will be before I get around to removing the grasses and burr clover and other weeds trying to invade. The current strategy is to let the herbs do their thing and spread and try to keep the weeds under control. I may regret that later, since one mint escapes it's hard to confine again. What does your garden look like today? Or do you have one? If you don't, is there a favorite place like a public garden or a neighbor's garden where you can enjoy looking at flowers and other plants? Attached photos are welcome in comments.
My garden needs my attention. It rained a lot and the grass grows quickly and the weeds spread. This is a view of an area of our garden, where there is the pond.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Nice! There is something special about having a pond. We had a nice one in our very first house. I think that's the main reason I wanted that house.
@bagarad We made the pond, it was not there when we bought the house.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@LadyDuck I think I'd like to make one here, but not sure it's a good idea with the water shortage. And I'm not good at making such things, either.
Sunday was a very lazy day here as well, even my squirrels were being lazy
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
At least lazy squirrels aren't busy attacking gardens.
@bagarad i think it's a weekend thing, here's one from Saturday (June 16th)
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@JolietJake I wouldn't mind squirrels that were that lazy. I don't think I've ever seen one in a tree that wasn't in motion.
Some plants really do run riot once they escape.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Sometimes that's a good thing if you have ground you want to fill with something besides weeds and you don't have time to plant.
@bagarad I guess that is true. We saw arum lilies in the wild today. They are common through our south-west but considered a curse in the paddocks.
@oahuwriter (3116)
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
No garden but I do have pots of aloe, broad leaf plantain. For good luck I've a red tie leaf that really should be transferred to the ground and little flower starter plants that lasts about a month. Spending .88 a month is cheaper than $4-5.99 a bunch of flowers weekly. Not much of a green thumb but love flowers.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Flowers are certainly cheaper to grow than buy.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
@bagarad Providing you've a green thumb and space for them. Me, I got neither.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@oahuwriter I'm sorry. I can't imagine a life without being able to grow something I love.
My garden is limited to my coffee table in front of my windows where I currently have two poinsettia plants growing and another plant for which I always forget the name unless I'm looking at the little plant thing telling me what it is. All I remember is it starts with an A. I'll try to find a picture of the three plants, though the poinsettias would be larger now. The lily is long gone. I gave it to my daughter for her garden. So is the tulip.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
At least it's a garden you can enjoy.
@bagarad Yes, it is. As long as I remember to water them.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@just4him Yes. They do need some water now and then.
@minx267 (14585)
• Hartford, Connecticut
oh my weeds are even worse... grasses and weeds are like 2-3 feet high! it's rather unsightly too.. I need to get out there and do mine too!
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
I think the grassy weeds are the worst because they look so unruly and don't flower.
@minx267 (14585)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@bagarad yes, and especially when they are like 3 ft high and are totally blocking the perennials that are there.. lol
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@minx267 Yes. I'm facing that now.
@cintol (7534)
I don't have a garden yet, a small one in the front that was here when we bought the house but I don't like it. I will dig up these Yucca plants they have in it when its not so hot and plant something with a lot more color there.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
We had a Yucca in our last house and my husband hated it. He finally got rid of it.
@cintol (7534)
@bagarad Maybe he can talk to mine and relate to him how ugly they are, my husband likes them
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@cintol My husband doesn't communicate electronically except with voice call. We had that tree so long ago he's probably already forgotten about it.
No garden here, and never been one for flowers and stuff.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
I guess we are all different. Do you have a yard or do you live in a condo or apartment?
@bagarad of course we are. Live in an apartment, but just not into gardening.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@Courtlynn I guess it would be a boring world if everyone had the same interests. I'm not into crafting like so many people I know.
@wolfgirl569 (8254)
• Marion, Ohio
My garden looks wet but happy today. We have had showers the last few days.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Lucky you! I've been out watering with cartons of water I collected from rinsing dishes.
• Marion, Ohio
@bagarad I am ready for it to be dry enough to till then weed the rows. The garden needs it
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@wolfgirl569 I'm waiting for it to be cool enough to be outside again. I hope maybe by Thursday. I do have weeds to pull.
I don't have a garden but I wish you the best with your set up.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank you. I'm going to need some luck.
@bagarad You are very welcome.
@mom210 (6782)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We usually have a garden but somehow with all the rain we just did not get it in this year. We will feel that pain as the summer goes on without any beautiful tasty fresh garden vegetables.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
I"m also feeling that pain. I can't seem to make myself do anything I should this summer.
I don't have one. My dad's wife gave me an aloe vera plant, but that's in a cup, growing slightly, but at least I kept it alive. My late mom never bothered with a garden, although both of us tried once when I was a child. Someone with a lawn mower went right over it, and we were done. Anyway, my dad's wife has a garden, and she loves tending to it. I don't know what is in it though. I know she tried to grow tomatoes, but a crow destroyed that endeavor. She has plenty of flowers and plants, but the vegetables have been destroyed by various birds.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Birds can be pests, but they can't do near the damage as ground squirrels can. Those ground squirrels made me give up gardening at our other house where we actually had a pretty good garden every year until those squirrels moved in. I don't have anything but herbs this year, and not even the two I use most grew this year.
wild flowers
We have a few wild flowers coming up.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
They look like nice edible dandelions. They look pretty.
My garden is doing good. Your Angel could do with some paint I guess (lol) The bottle brush in my garden is showing up after a long time.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
I have no idea where that angel came from. I think I just found it somewhere or someone gave it to me used. It doesn't matter to me if she needs paint.
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
My garden is extremely in need of attention but I am going to get rid of the weeds by pouring boiling water on them.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Does boiling water really kill weeds? I had no idea.
No garden in a townhouse. Nothing wrong with a lazy Sunday.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
That's one thing I wouldn't like about a townhouse. Though some of them here have very small fence outside areas where one can have a tiny garden if one chooses.
@YrNemo (14212)
I just visited my gardens before. I have decided not to do a thing until I have enough rest first.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Makes sense to me!
@rakski (20694)
I just have a pseudo garden. They are all in the pots. My peppers have small white flowers now
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
It's still a garden -- a container garden. I still don't have mine started. I'm just not motivated.
I tried some of those flower roll out mats last year. Hardly anything came of those. We did plant two hosta plants that seemed to shrivel up. I was told that they would come back and they have.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
Glad your hosta plants came back. I never had much luck with them. There must have been a bit too much sun for their liking. I never had success with flower mats either. I tried the ones with wildflowers.