Why don't people who are suicidal seek help?

Hello and here is a question for you Why don’t people who are suicidal seek help when in crisis? With so many out there and in needing help.Why do they not ask for it. Stigma is this why men keep silent
They do. Kate Spade was diagnosed with manic depression and was prescribed medication for this disorder and was involved in therapy. Medication and therapy, sadly, helps some, but fails others. Humans are far too complicated. There is not a single therapy or medication that will help all, just some. Anthony Bourdain did have a therapist, but that did not work out for him, I suppose.
• San Jose, California
He fought those battles for 61 years. That's a long time. Kate Spade fought them for 50. That's also a long time.
@spiderdust yes both times are long for both of them.
@spiderdust Yes, and after such a long battle, I totally understand why an end to the battle is desired. Some can be successfully helped, and sadly, others cannot.
@dragon54u (31615)
I was one of those people. It was too dark around me by the time I wanted to die, I had talked to people and tried to help myself, I had taken anti-depressants and tried self medication, psychiatrists, and counselors. Nothing helped enough to pull me out of it. I didn't care about the stigma and this was in the 70s and 80s when the stigma was significant. I didn't care about anything after a certain point. Medicine has improved a lot since then and so has the knowledge of depression. It is often a chemical imbalance that can be righted with medication but there's a lot of trial and error involved. I wish we had mental institutions again where we could treat people and make sure they recover under supervision but we don't. Read this, it perfectly describes the avalanche that is depression and I think it will answer some of your questions:
***I didn't write this.  And after some research to find out WHO did write it, I was led here -- a Reddit Suicide Prevention Megathread - although the author's name isn't cited.  If you know who wrote it, let me know because I'd love to credit them.
@dragon54u thank you and very nice to see you again.will give this a read
@dragon54u so sorry to hear this.I did read and very good article.thank you
@peachpurple (12872)
Good question. I think they are afraid, lonely, don't know who to seek help, even the closest person they are afraid of.
@peachpurple yes they are.But sad I wish they ask for help.So much out there.
@peachpurple perhaps they do
@rakski (18402)
Some does not want to know that they are weak and crumbling inside. I also wish that they will seek help. But acceptance and rejection is slways the thing there. Or they might not have the right person whom they can talk too
@rakski thank you
@rakski (18402)
They are so depressed that they just think no one even cares.
@jstory07 yes they are very much so.
@judy07 that is for sure
@spiderdust (6462)
• San Jose, California
Sometimes they do, or have in the past, and they no longer feel that they can burden people with their issues (or at least that's what their brain is telling them). Sometimes asking for help results in being locked away for a period of time, and then released with no new solutions. It can feel scary and even dangerous to ask for help. Sometimes the brain is telling the person that nothing will work anymore, and it just needs to end. It's less stigma and more the feeling of hopelessness.
@spiderdust that you for your answer there.
@spiderdust thank you make sense
They often do but society doesn't always recognise their cry for help.
@meinoutje thank you and yes they do not.
@FourWalls (14135)
The reasons are as individual as the individual, just as the reasons for a person killing one's self is singular to that person. Yes, some people just don't get help. Others may "get help" but then never take their medications or go to follow-up appointments. Some just cannot escape the trauma of the past. Some just want the pain (be it physical or emotional) to stop. Mental issues -- especially depression -- aren't "A + B = C." My doctor told me there are tests that can determine exactly what type of SSRI a person needs tailored for their depression, based on genetics; however, the test is expensive and insurance won't cover it. And sadly, when "society" tells someone that their life isn't worth the cost of a test, there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do to counter that.
@FourWalls thank you for your comments there.I hear you
• Preston, England
pride, and a sense that it would make them dependent on others - the very recognition of feeling helpless gets fuelled by having to ask for help and adds to the sense of despair - many do ummon help but sadly, many don't too
@arthurchappell thank you..
@arthurchappell yes not sure what the figures is.
• Preston, England
@amadeo too high no doubt
They ask Alfredo, most of the time they ask and very few are capable to offer help. Most of the time people say the wrong words.
@LadyDuck yes I suppose so.thanks
@amadeo Even the therapists are not always of a great help.
@LadyDuck you have and hope to get the right one there.
@kobesbuddy (49319)
• East Tawas, Michigan
In most cases, the individual had sought out help, yet it failed to keep their issues controlled. My daughter was in therapy, but nobody can change another person's mind-set. If they are determined to take their own life, sooner or later, they probably will
@kobesbuddy yes they will.My great great granddaughter is not cutting here self.
@kobesbuddy (49319)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@amadeo I am so thankful to hear this, Alfredo:) And my grand-daughter Kaitlyn, is no longer cutting herself, either
I think they are very afraid to seek help and are not very open to discuss their problems.
@SiddharthV that is true many are afraid to ask
@amadeo then we should take responsibility and ask them.
@chicnthin (2829)
I think they do seek help. Maybe the people around them doesn't take it seriously because they know they are a strong person and could overcome it.
@chicnthin yep you may be right on this.
@chicnthin (2829)
@amadeo alright glad you agree
@RubyHawk (26772)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It's so expensive I think that's Why many don't seek help and some who can afford it don't want to admit they need help.
@RubyHawk yes it is costly very.
@RubyHawk (26772)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@amadeo I think if a troubled person can't afford a counselor they should talk to friends and tell them what's on their mind.
@mandala100 (45962)
Those are very good question my friend.
@mandala thank you.Have a good evening
@mandala100 (45962)
@amadeo Alright my friend and same to you.
I heard in church that someone else took their life, but no name was mentioned, so I don't know who. It's so sad. I don't know why people don't ask for help. Maybe they're afraid to.
@just4him maybe not sure.
@amadeo I know there was a time in my life when I thought about it, but never went through with it, obviously. I also know I was afraid to say anything to anybody about how I felt at the time.
@Porcospino (18385)
• Denmark
Sometimes people don't seek help because they believe that there is no hope. I once heard someone describe depression as "a cage without a key", and I think that depression leads to distorted thinking. I have had depressions for 20 years. When I am in the middle of a depression I am not thinking: "Things are bad right now, but they will get better" I am thinking: "Things are bad and they will remain that way forever." "I am a burden. The world would be a better place without me" is another example of distorted thinking and another reason why people don't seek help. Sometimes people didn't like the help they received in the past - medication with lots of side effects, nurses and psychiatrists who are too busy to talk etc and they stay away from help because of their low expectations.
@Porcospino very well said there.Thank you
@dya80dya (3556)
Some people ask for help and they are ignored.
@dya80dya some are.Your right
• Slovenia
Some do. But medications do not help. Society/system is not healthy for a human being.
@Sunshined61 thank you
@cherriefic (4708)
• Baguio, Philippines
Fear or maybe they are ashamed to let other people know about their issues.
@cherriefic Something like that.Many reason.