Childhood Memories : Favorite TV Shows and Entertainers

Red Skelton as Freddie the Hobo
Austin, Texas
When I was a child, some kind person gave our family a TV set. We couldn't afford to buy one. Television was the Internet back in my day. A technological marvel and with it you could reach the world! If you grew up in my generation then you probably had certain shows you watched religiously. One of the shows that I never missed was "The Red Skelton Show". I loved that show! I loved that man! I loved it when he used to say “Good night and may God bless”. I especially loved the character Freddie the Hobo. I found a quote today that made me wonder. I had never thought Red Skelton in any other light than a successful (wealthy) comedian; a popular but humble celebrity who everybody loved. I couldn't imagine him as a man who struggled and had a hard life. Maybe that's why the hobo character was so easy for him to play. Maybe it was him. This quote makes me see him in a brand new light and now I admire and like him even more! "I left home because I was hungry." ~ Red Skelton (1913 - 1997) ( via @BrainyQuote )
https://www.nwitimes.com/entertainment/arts-and-theatre/theatre/comedian-red-skelton-as-hobo-freddie-the-freeloader/image_f5bd78f0-452a-5758-9eb6-b047bd24078c.html
People who had to struggle to make something of themselves sure do have an appreciation for the success they find later in life. Growing up, my family and I always watched The Cosby Show together. Back then Bill Cosby was so revered. Not anymore!
• Austin, Texas
Yes. Mr. Cosby has definitely fallen from grace. I followed his career for years. He was a man who could genuinely make me laugh. But he could also play a serious role like he did in “I Spy”. He was so successful and to be admired. I was a regular viewer of “The Cosby Show”. But now? I know he was just acting. People's jobs and their personal lives are often as different as night and day. But he seems like so hypocritical to me now.
@Jessabuma (28490)
• Baguio, Philippines
When I was a kid,we don't have TV so I can't relate hehe!!!
• Austin, Texas
My husband also grew up without a TV set in his home. There are many things I tell him about and he has no reference point either.
@Jessabuma (28490)
• Baguio, Philippines
@cmoneyspinner hehehe!!! Yes, we used to go to our neighbor's house just to watch TV shows
• Austin, Texas
@Jessabuma - Isn't it great that at least one neighbor had a TV and they would let you come over and watch?
How nice of a neighbor or friend to give your family the avenue to entertainment. I wasn't born yet when that Red Skelton show aired and I might have caught a re-run but I was not one for frivolous comedy skits I suppose. When I remember my adolescence and television shows, it would of been that prejudice guy Archie Bunker OR Laugh In which looking back at now, really condescending
• Austin, Texas
“All in the Family” and “Laugh In” were also two shows that I watched regularly. Both shows were hilarious!
@cmoneyspinner do you still think so in retrospect of watching a re-run of either in todays world ?
• Austin, Texas
@enlightenedpsych2 - Not really. With today's online free video streaming, Netflix, etc., and me being able to see so many other shows from all around the world, that I never watched when I was a kid, I am too busy learning about new things. There's Bollywood, Korean drama, and so much other entertainment. I'm just sorry there aren't enough hours in the day for me to enjoy them all!
@bunnybon7 (36504)
• Holiday, Florida
i to remember him. we watched him when i was a little girl. we lived in a little mobile home, old one but my mom had to have her little television and both parents worked in my house. i was a latch key kid. she had to be able to watch her Liberache , not sure of the spelling. guy played the piano. like most women she had an awful crush and yes we watched Red too. most comedians it seems had been through a hard life back then. i heard that W.C. Fields once said no matter how rich he got he still could smell the poverty he came from. and you could take a boy out of poverty but never the poverty out of the boy.
• Austin, Texas
Never heard that comment by W.C. Fields. Always heard his jokes. Never heard him being serious. As for Liberace? Loved him!! Did you know that he inspired Elvis Presley? It's true. Elvis saw this guy performing in flashy shiny clothes and said that if was OK for Liberace with wear sequins and perform in front of an audience, then he could do it too! Before seeing him, Elvis thought that he needed to dress more conservatively. (What's that? Yeah. I am loaded with all kinds of entertainment trivia. )
@bunnybon7 (36504)
• Holiday, Florida
@cmoneyspinner me too. my mom raised me talking ever day about the stars and bought all the magazines on them which i read all the time
@mlgen1037 (29654)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi. I do not really know him until now. He sure made an impact in people.
• Austin, Texas
I'm sure he made a lot of people laugh for a just few moments after a very hard long day and took their minds off of their troubles for just a little while.
@mlgen1037 (29654)
• Manila, Philippines
@cmoneyspinner He sure did. I would have liked to meet him.
When I was growing up, I only watched TV in French, so I was not aware of Red Skelton at all.
• Austin, Texas
For a long time, from what I can remember growing up in Miami, Florida, there was no such thing as a foreign language on our TV or radio. Everything was in English. But then the Cubans fleeing Fidel Castro came over to the USA and that's when things changed. We have never had programs in French. But we did start having TV channels and radio stations in Spanish. I never watched or listened to the programs. I spoke a little Spanish but I didn't really like the shows.
I was a fan of Tom and Jerry in my childhood.
• Austin, Texas
I still love Tom and Jerry.
I was not aware of his struggle either. I do suppose that struggle may have helped him achieve.
• Austin, Texas
Many celebs from back in his day come from very humble beginnings.
I love Lucy was my fav.Golden Girls
• Austin, Texas
I don't think anybody from our generation will ever forget "I Love Lucy". Her success, along with her husband's success, is amazing considering that at one time people wanted to brand her a Communist because her husband from Cuba and blacklist her in Hollywood.
@simplfred (3105)
I understand our first tv is a black and white tv. Remembering my childhood, i love the cartoon Bugs Bunny.
• Austin, Texas
My husband liked Bugs Bunny so much that he found old cartoon clips and videotaped them so he could watch them over and over.
Red was a TV mainstay following a successful movie career.
• Austin, Texas
I knew he was also in movies but I hardly remember any of them.
I loved the Ozzie and Harriet show and the Betty White show.
• Austin, Texas
I loved those old shows too. Don't get me started. Father Knows Best. My Three Sons. The Donna Reed Show. Etc. I could go on and on and on.