I have been sleeping very well most nights with my new method!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have a few nights where I do not sleep at all, but most nights I am getting eleven hours of sleep. How you may wonder? I have a new method. It is working greatly. This way is to start going to bed at 4:30pm in the afternoon by taking a long, hot bath. I lay in that water to relax while reading a magazine. Then about 5 pm I take a mug of a special tea marketed under the name of Sleepytime tea. (i have my water and teabag in it steeping now ). Now I am not done. I wait a half hour to an hour or so and eat something as a snack which I found out makes my sleeping medicine work better. Tonight i will have a soft pretzel dipping it in cheese. I take that medicine. I sit around a half hour to an hour then i go to sleep. I am usually sleeping within minutes. It is so nice to be able to sleep. I get up several times but always go back to sleep and sleep until 6 am in the morning most mornings. we estimate i get 10-12 hours of sleep most nights and i am loving it! Do you have a favorite medicine that you use to get to sleep? Does it take you long to get to sleep?
@kobesbuddy (57432)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I go to bed about 10:30 each night and fall asleep, within a very short while. At times, I wake up around 4:00A to use the bathroom, then climb back in bad and fall asleep until about 6:30A. That's when Jay gets up to get ready for work and I stay up, also. I'm so happy you are getting sufficient sleep, each night!
I am so relieved also! I could not imagine sleeping that long without both the tea and my medicine. before I started my new method if i fell asleep i was up by 3 am and could not sleep any longer
@kobesbuddy (57432)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marty1 You are blessed, Jennifer:) This is an easy, enjoyable method that works, so you can sleep well each night!
@arunima25 (9293)
• Bangalore, India
I never took any medicine for sleeping. I generally hit the bed at 10 in the night and wake up at 5:30 in the morning. I take a 45 minutes nap in the afternoon as I come back from school after a long day at 3. I take a power nap and am back to work as soon as my daughters come from school at 3:45
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Jennifer. Fantastic. If I only have a bathtub, I would have taken a hot bath and enjoy. It is like treating yourself and your body as it deserves to be pampered. I get sleepy fast but I usually watch a movie or video or read a book so I can sleep well.
@thelme55 (15125)
A bath in a bathtub before going to bed is awesome. I love it. How I wish you can experience that feeling @mlgen1037.
I wish you could have a bath as it is so relaxing. I used to get sleepy fast but still could not sleep. What kind of video do you watch before bed? I have been reading and watching some of my favorite types of youtube videos so I wonder if that is helping me also? are the videos you watch from youtube?
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
@thelme55 Thank you po, Thelma. I hope that I will. I only experience it in hotels.
I usually fall asleep easily at 11 p.m. and wake at 7 a.m. So glad you have a plan in place that works so well for you.
I would be in almost panic attack mode if I were up at 11 pm as my anxiety would turn on and I would be worried that I would not wake up in time if I had to go someplace in the morning. Does Molly ever wake you up? I get up sometimes at midnight as I have Onyx waking me up by touching my face or playing with my hair!
@Marty1 If I am taking my sister someplace she panics and wakes up early.
@GardenGerty I am just like your sister. I start to panic earlier the night before worrying I won't wake up on time. I had to be up early today but with the tea and medicine, i was too sleepy to worry and fell asleep in ten minutes and slept well until 6 am from around 6 pm last night.
I usually lay down between 8 and 9 and am asleep within half an hour. Glad you found a system that works for you.
That is great you can sleep so easily, I am so relieved i found this method as I was miserable not sleeping.
Oh my, that amount of sleep sounds great. I desperately want more sleep. A lot of times I fall asleep, but an hour later I am wide awake.
that used to happen to me each night. I would be up within a half hour But i did have Sunday night i was up all night as my meds have given me a new tremor on my shoulders and they were moving all night and i was up for almost 40 hours. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow so I will be able to discuss this with him.
@sallypup (29308)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Sounds marvelous. I need to get to bed earlier. I don't sleep soundly and to top that off, got maybe 6 hours last night. Gads I am dragging today.
I am sorry about that. I go to bed by 7 pm most nights whether I am sleeping well or not. I have always enjoyed going to bed very early Last night I was in bed around 6 pm as my tea and meds made me extremely sleepy. Sometimes I go to sleep later when Onyx hops on our bed and scratches me until i pet him over and over until he is satisfied! Onyx sends a big meow to you and your cats!
@sallypup (29308)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Marty1 I've wondered how Onyx was doing. I'm glad he is okay. You know that a little kitten named Fred has joined my crew? What a little trouble maker! He was wandering on a busy road. I couldn't just keep driving so I scooped him up.
@sallypup how wonderful you have a new little one! What does Fred look like? I am glad he has a new home with you as he will have a lot of love! Was he abandoned when you found him? have fun with Fred!
I thank God I can sleep without any help.
that is super! I am happy for you! I used to sleep well, I wasn't on meds to help me sleep but i was on nine different psychiatric meds at almost maximum doses so I slept fine. I was put on this sleeping medicine as I ended up in hospital with four times too much medicine in me and was taken off all except one
@dya80dya (6340)
@Marty1 Why did you take so many psychiatric meds? Do you suffer from something? Nine are a lot of meds.
@dya80dya a list full of illnesses But i am only on one medicine now plus my sleeping. I do take other meds but those are for my heart. I was on so many meds because i had a doctor who kept giving me med and after med
It is rare that I have trouble sleeping but on those occasions I take a benadryl. I am glad you found something that works best for you though. I've read that staying away from bright lights in the hours before sleep helps as well as having no lights on during sleep. Lavender is supposed to keep you calm and help you sleep as well.
Now that you mention the bright lights before sleep, I think I read somewhere late last year that even lights like a computer or other electronic things can cause problems before sleep. Am I right? Have you read or heard that before? I usually have an almost dark room for a while as I usually go to bed before it gets dark outside. but after that the house is very dark until i wake up. I need to do some research on lights and sleep. What firm should the lavender be? Do I have to get the flowers or ks their another way to get the scent as I really need to calm myself as I feel hyper most of the time
@Marty1 Yes, I have read about computer and t.v. lights disrupting sleep as well. I can not sleep with a television on, even muted. It has been many years since I was able to sleep with lights on. I can fall asleep with a string of Christmas lights on but even then I am facing away. I think most people just buy the lavender buds and put them in a sachet and put that sachet in their pillow case. I would think that lavender scent would do the same. If you have a wax warmer you could get lavender scented wax and melt it 15 minutes before you set off to sleep then turn it off before sleeping. Have you tried listening to relaxing music before bedtime as well? The sounds of ocean waves or rainstorms on a tin roof usually send me off to sleep when I am having trouble. I put it on youtube on my phone and that way I can simply turn the phone off when I am done.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I think I will pick a time to get off the computer and shut off the TV set. I can keep myself occupied for a few hours without electronics. Is there any particular amount of time it says to stop those lights? I am not sure what time I will stop them yet. I am petrified of matches and candles so I do not keep any in my house but the sachet by my pillow may work Thank you so much for your help. I am listening to radio tonight while going to sleep i think
@cintol (8306)
The pills have never worked for me and I have tried teas and other things. I am just used to anywhere from 3 to 5 hours a night of sleep. Glad you figured out how to make your body get a good sleep.
Have you tried just sleeping meds like Ambien or have you tried sedating meds of other types? I take a very sedating antidepression medicine called Trazodone. I am probably taking that one as it was prescribed by my psychiatrist when I was in the hospital last year. I am not saying you need a medicine like that! I am just telling you my experience of it Hope you have a super day today!
@dya80dya (6340)
@Marty1 Were you hospitalized? Why? If you can tell.
@dya80dya mental health reasons but i think I am doing a lot better now!
I am glad that you are able to sleep so well Jennifer. I take no medicines to sleep. I watch a movie after dinner, then I go to bed and I read about one hour, I turn off the light and I sleep for about 6 hours.
That sounds like a good idea. I think what you and I are doing is what professionals call our "sleep hygiene" I think I am doing something similar to your reading and a movie. I have been reading for awhile and watching some youtube videos. Maybe i will try some TV shows or something on Netflix. I will have to see about that. I could not sleep six hours if i did not have the tea and medicine in my system hope you have a super day!
@Marty1 Most of the time I wake up after 3 to 4 hours and then I try to sleep a little more. I do a lot during a day and I am often very tired when I go to sleep.
@LadyDuck I am going to find some exercises I can do daily on the internet. I am also going to see if I can find some videos of exercise i can do on youtube. I am glad you can sleep so well!
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
Listening to calming music and pillow for me hehehe!!!
What calming music do you listen to? How do you listen to this music? is it the radio or a CD player or some other way of listening to it? I have been listening to music on my kindle from Amazon Prime which I also have a subscription to. what would you suggest as calming as I am listening at random as I do not know very much about music.
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
@Marty1 I am just listening to calm music from YouTube.
@Jessabuma I know next to nothing about music. How do you find calm music to listen to? do you have any ones that are calm that you can recommend?
That's wonderful that you are sleeping so well. I don't sleep very well most nights although lately I've been sleeping better.
I hope you can get better sleep. Have you ever tried an herbal tea or maybe you may be able to try Sleepytime tea if you can find it in Australia? it is by Celestial Seasonings. I am very pleased I have been sleeping so well and hope you find a way to sleep better for you.
@Marty1 Thanks. I haven't heard of that tea here but I'll keep an eye out for it.
@JudyEv I am not sure which herbs are in it as it just identifies itself as an herbal tea but does not say what herbs it is made of. Hopefully, you can find it. If not, maybe you can try herbal tea in general?
No medicine or tea for me to help me to sleep. I like taking green tea but I don't take that to help me fall asleep coz it won't. What helps me fall asleep is when I watch youtube. Odd, but without it, I find it hard to fall asleep. But I do get 6-8 hours of sleep most of the time.
I don't take green tea as i don't like the taste at all . The sleepytime tea is not good tasting and I rinse my mouth out after taking it and sometimes brush my teeth after it. I think that I too am helped by youtube to sleep better as I have been watching some of it before bed each night after I read so it may help. What type of youtube videos do you watch before you go to sleep? are there particular types that you find help you sleep better?
@Marty1 makeup tutorials and home decoration by Mr. Kate.
@toniganzon I will have to look up those home decorations as i love things like that. I like to see how to do makeup in magazines so may look up those even though i do not wear any makeup. i have a lot of interests!
@oahuwriter (3864)
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
I usually fall asleep within 15 - 25 min. but sometimes I have a lot on my mind which keeps me awake. When this happens I drink my Valerian root. After I drink it, I'm asleep within 20 min. Glad you found sleep help.
THat is a good amount of time to get to sleep without a sleeping aide. It is not necessarily that I have a lot on my mind, it just that my mind is racing all day and into the night while I am trying to sleep. When I do all those things to sleep now I am so sleepy by the time I go to bed that my need for sleep takes over and i am sleeping in minutes. I drink the regular sleepytime tea but there is a box of it that I have seen called an Extra strength one that contains valerian. I am afraid to try that one as the sleep medicine i take is so strong and then I have to take three high strength doses of heart meds so don't know how it would affect me?
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
@Marty1 Ask your pharmacist where you get your medicine from for safety reasons about your tea, just to be on the safer side. There are safe holistic things your pharmacist can help you with for a sleep aid. Good luck.
@oahuwriter Thank you for the kind suggestion. I already asked my pharmacist long ago if I could take it. It is okay. I just cannot take the extra strength one with Valerian in it. That would make me much too sleepy the next day. Isn't the tea considered holistic? I never tried any type of holistic treatments before, but love to read about them
@dgobucks226 (14287)
Those are some great ideas to relax yourself before bedtime. I have used the sleepytime tea on occasion. I also use breath counting and visualization (a type of meditation) to relax before bedtime. I find most nights it is helpful.
I have tried and tried to do some meditating but i am not good at it at all. My mind usually races and I can't calm down enough. I start and within seconds my mind is off on another idea. Glad you can get so much benefit from your form of mediation. But I will keep trying to be successful with it eventually
@dgobucks226 (14287)
@Marty1 I'll share a secret. My mind will wander too Try to imagine a safe happy place that you enjoy and picture yourself there. Mine is the beach enjoying the sun and watching the waves roll in. Maybe that will help.
@dgobucks226 Does picturing the beach you mentioned help you? Does that make your meditation more successful? Thanks for the tip I am going to try it. How often do you meditate?
I do not take anything.I get a good night sleep. You must be very rested there.What type of medicine do you take?
Yes, I am quite rested! I had 12 hours of sleep on Tuesday night as I went to bed a half hour to an hour earlier than I expected to go to sleep. I was in bed by 6 pm i think and sound asleep within about 10 minutes. I got more tired than expected from my tea and medicine so I went to bed a little earlier, I did get a good sleep as I slept until 6 am this morning. The medicine I take is an antidepressant i take just for sleep as it makes one very sleepy. I do take an antidepression pill in morning. I take 200 mg of Trazodone at night . I started ar 100 mg the usual dose but it did not work so my doctor upped it to 200 mg a night
@Marty1 I am so glad that this is working out for you
@amadeo It is working great!
@dodo19 (33990)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I'm really glad that this is working for you. I don't take any medicine or anything to go to sleep. I do usually go to bed between 7:30 and 9. Usually, I'm in bed at the same time as my kids and will fall asleep at the same time or soon after my kids do.
Those are good times to go to sleep. What time do you wake up? If I am up past 6:30-7pm I am in near panic that I am not going to sleep at all. My mind starts thinking what i have to do the next day, and how will I be able to handle a night with no sleep the next day (that is my anxiety speaking) have a super day!
@dodo19 (33990)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Marty1 I don't usually have a difficult time falling asleep. I'm usually up between 5 and 6.
@dodo19 that is a nice amount of sleep! Before I started this new method of sleep, i was usually up around 1 am to maybe 3 am. so sleeping until it is light outside is a great thing for me.
that's a cute picture! I definitely have trouble sleeping, as you know.. nothing has been working for me. but eventually I pass out for a good 6 hours every few weeks lol
I still have one or two times a month not sleeping at all, But i pass out that night. I then sleep well for a long time. I hope you start to get better sleep soon!
@Marty1 thank you.
@Marty1 I am glad you found ways for you to be able to sleep. I have not found a way to fall asleep for me.
I hope you find a good way to get to sleep. Have you tried herbal tea? It took me quite a long time to find this way of getting to sleep!
@Marty1 I do not drink tea anymore. I have a coughing problem so I gargle with salt water and a spoon of honey and hot water.
That sounds like the dream! I've had huge amounts of trouble getting to sleep recently; for the past few days I've only managed to drop off at 5am and wake up 10-11am.
I hope you can find a way to sleep as that does not sound like a lot of sleep. I read once that every hour of sleep before midnight is like two hours compared to the hours after midnight. I am not sure how accurate that is, but for some reason that stuck in my mind and I get nervous if I am up past midnight if I did not sleep yet. I used to get up 1-2 am in the morning. I still do sometimes, but am able to go back to sleep most times. I wake up like that several times a night but now am able to sleep again until 6 - 7 am in the morning Good luck in finding a way to get to sleep!
@Marty1 It's funny you should say that - I ended up having a huge lie in today and slept for about 10 hours. Feeling much more refreshed. I suppose the earlier you go to sleep the more time your body has to recover from the day before, it might be related to that.