Have a heart!

Bunbury, Australia
Like dogs and cats, the coats of horses are continually growing. In winter they grow a thick, shaggy coat. This gradually falls out to be replaced by a sleek, shiny summer coat. Some breeds grow thicker coats because of where they have originated. Shetland ponies from the Shetland Isles have very thick, hairy coats to help them make it through the severe winters. Arab horses from Egypt won’t show as much difference between their summer and winter coats. In many countries horses are clipped for various reasons. Sometimes the whole body is clipped or perhaps just parts of it. Once clipped, they horses need to wear rugs to make up for losing their protective covering. Clipping makes it easier to keep them clean. If they are expected to do a lot of physical activity, they will sweat less without a heavy coat, and even when they do sweat they can be washed down and dried much more easily and quickly. In the photo you can see one of the endurance horses that we watched last weekend. You can see his legs and saddle area are unclipped and they have also left a decorative heart on the hindquarters. Horses sweat most on the shoulders and flanks so these are the areas which have been clipped. Leaving the hair on the legs will stop him getting chilled so easily.
@minx267 (14580)
• Hartford, Connecticut
That is definitely a unique clipping.. you don't see that very often... Cute though.. the heart was a very cute touch!
Another one had a cross on its hindquarters.
@minx267 (14580)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@JudyEv oh very cool!
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Judy. I never knew those facts but they are interesting. That horse is beautiful. It is like shaving their hair too?
Yes, a bit like clipping poodles I guess.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
@JudyEv Nice. But they have beautiful and shiny hair. Looks so sexy for me in a way.
@rakski (20934)
Wow. And I thought all horses has the same fur. But this one cute. The heart sign
Some definitely get more woolly than others.
What about the cold? They sweat less during physical activity, but they can feel the cold when they are inactive.
They have rugs put on them when they are not active. The rugs vary in weight and material. The rugs shown in this photo aren't used by most people but some use them.
@JudyEv Thank you for sharing this photo Judy, I understand they cannot feel cold dressed like this.
@LadyDuck Mostly the rugs don't cover the legs like these but it's the only photo I have. Some have felt type rugs under a heavier lined waterproof rug. There are also neck rugs to protect the neck and some cover the face as well with holes cut out for the eyes and ears.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm not ever very close to horses, even though I often see them in pastures grazing. I've never noticed any that had been clipped. Now I suppose I'll start looking for that if horses get close to me.
Possibly if they are clipped they will be stabled or if they are in a paddock they will have a rug on them.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv I usually only see them grazing outside.
@sw8sincere (5024)
what a beautiful horse! I always love to experience riding a horse.
I used to ride a lot but I don't any more.
Very interesting and, unique about this.
One had a very impressive cross on its hindquarters.
There you go again with expressions. Have a heart would mean something different
It was a catchy title - hopefully - to get readers in. Seems to have worked, don't you think?
@JudyEv When it comes to your discussions you need not go for such gimmicks. You are noticed no matter what you post
@allknowing Have a heart sounds much better than 'a clipped horse' though, don't you think? Who would bother to read that?
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
Horses are such beautiful animals but they scare the living sh1t out of me. Probably down to a very close call in my childhood involving a football crowd and two mahoosive police horses!!
What a shame they scare you but I can totally understand it. Sometimes I marvel at how they let themselves be bossed around and be subjected to so much.
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv I'm amazed that they never go berserk and flatten hundreds of people in these crowds.
@WorDazza They are certainly trained well - also the horses pulling coaches. My grandfather went to a movie but walked out when the cowboy's horse walked up some steps and jumped through a broken window. He didn't think that could be done so he walked out! He'd be amazed now at what some horses do.
@JudyEv I know it is hard for you now to ride a horse, but, when you see them now do you think you want to run up and jump up on one and gallop away? Thank you for sharing that with us.
It would be lovely to be able to ride again but I'm afraid it isn't going to happen. But yes, I would love to be able to jump on one and gallop away.
@JudyEv I understand how hard it would be for you to get on a horse and gallop off.
@wolfgirl569 (8496)
• Marion, Ohio
Love the heart. I just let mine grow the hair in. But they are spoiled and lazy.
Once they're clipped it's more work for the owner and for the vast majority of horses clipping isn't necessary.
• Marion, Ohio
@JudyEv It can be easier to clean when you are showing a lot and it looks prettier too.
I don't think I've ever seen a clipped horse before, and certainly didn't know they were clipped. That's an interesting design on that horse.
It's surprising how the colour changes when they are clipped.
@JudyEv Yes, it is.
I think it is nice to let animals in this kind style with their hair or fur.
There is a good reason for clipping their coat but they like to make it look good as well.
@JudyEv I agree. It was like grooming domestic cats and dogs.
@kepweng (17739)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
its Animal cruelty to Shave those horse
Do you think so?
Thanks for the info. I never really knew that about horses.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of 'horsey' people on here. Just as well or it would be all I'd write about.
I have seen designs on poodles but never a horse.
The poodle designs all started off as practical measures. Poodles were once popular as gundogs. The fur was left around the ankles to protect the joints from the cold water and the knob left on the tail made it a bit easier for gunmen to see the dog in the water.
Did they shaved that horse's skin? I thought you were referring the horse got tired.
They shave the hair with clippers - just like shaving your own hair for a crewcut.
@Peach10 (1931)
Never seen one before. it 's like a person with lots of tattoes.
I guess it is a bit.
@garymarsh6 (14381)
A beautiful looking horse. A great photo Judy! I was not aware that horses were clipped I never questioned it.
Show horses are clipped to within an inch of their lives. The area around the eyes and mouth are 'made-up' with products similar to eye-shadow to 'enhance' their natural beauty. I think it's a shame really but it is what it is.
@aureliah (17986)
• Kenya
That is such a beautiful horse. Most of the information you shared I had no idea. Thank you
Every discipline has many things that I don't know about. And they all have their own jargon too.