A Different Kind of Bonding With My High School Batchmates

Last Sunday, June 10, 2018, me and some of my batchmates, went to a barrio and had a different kind of bonding. The one who asked for us to come and another, are birthday celebrators for June. So, it’s actually a treat for us. We went to the garden/ café owned by a retired American geologist, married to a Filipina. We ordered first our foods after which we went to the forest together with Cris, the American. He is already fluent in speaking our dialect, Bicol. Since we were all in our late 50’s , we were all saying “good luck to our knees and feet.” The forest was10 hectares. There was even a hanging bridge and no one remembered taking a picture. We ended up by the sea as you can see in the picture and went back the same trail to the café. No one complained of achy feet, knees and legs even after a day as we all messaged each other what we each felt as achy. Though one said she was so tired that she slept upon arriving home that evening only to wake up two hours after that. Have you ever tried going to a forest or walking for more than an hour?
@rakski (23533)
Yes, I used to do that and mountain climb when I was younger and still single. It is so nice to commune with nature. I am hoping to do that with my kids soon so they can appreciate nature at its best.
@renicemae (3685)
I have never tried mountain climbing but would really want to try
@rakski (23533)
@renicemae well, if you are still young or young at heart you can still do that.
I suppose you were in a province when you were younger so you can do that. Indeed it would be nice that you can bring the children too so they can appreciate nature as it unfolds before their eyes.
@simplfred (5931)
Nice bonding and experience also. Well, when I go to my wife barrio in Samar, we've walked for more than an hour.
Indeed. It has been more than two decades since I was able to go to a mountain. It also has a forest like place. SO, you are from Samar. Do you pass by Bicol when you go to Samar? So now, you are in Manila?
@simplfred (5931)
@SIMPLYD No, but my wife. I'm from Pangasinan.
@simplfred Oh, you are an Ilocano while your wife is a Visayan.
@caopaopao (12641)
The picture you shared is very beautiful. I like walking. I tried to walk for hours. I'm very tired, but I'm very happy.
Really you walk for hours! Well, I am happy for you because you have lots of time to walk. So, who is your companion?
@caopaopao (12641)
@SIMPLYD My colleagues or my family.
@caopaopao Wow, that's so nice!
I do think that it is one of a kind experience. I wish my batchmates will organize this kind of event.
I was surprised that we will be going to a forest. I didn't expect it actually. I was in shorts and in my casual footwear. Good thing, it isn't a very thick forest where shrubs and plants can graze the legs as you pass since trailways have been constructed.
@SIMPLYD It was a great adventure. It would be great if all of you planned to have a camping. Is it possible for having a camping site in this particular forest?
@Shavkat Oh, no. I don't like to camp in the forest. It seems there are many large snakes.
• Uzbekistan
Germans are great hikers. Walking for an hour is nothing. People would laugh at you if you even mentioned it. What is a 'barrio', please?
@renicemae (3685)
it's a small town
• Uzbekistan
@renicemae Thank you.
Wow, really! I know walking is a very good way to exercise. A barrio is one of the communities that comprises a town.
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
Wow! That's nice. Glad you enjoyed your time together.. We had been to Mt. Costa last November po, it's tiring but we had fun there. It's a beautiful place to have fun and relax.
And it's an exhilarating experience, right? It has been since two or 3 decades since I last went up a mountain with my friends. I went rolling down the mountain. Good thing my body got caught in a big tree's trunk.
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
@SIMPLYD hehehe!!! Yes that's right po.
@renicemae (3685)
10 hectares of land? Wow! I wish I can have a land that big too and I'm gonna make it an agricultural land and resort I have tried long hours of walk and it's tiring haha. Nice bonding.
Yes, they bought it in 1990's and it's an agricultural land actually. Agricultural land sells cheap. Yes, it is tiring, but what happened to us is that we stop so he can discuss the various old and big trees we see along the way.
@renicemae (3685)
@SIMPLYD I see. My husband and I love to have activities in the nature. In fact we wanted to start farming
@renicemae Oh, that is nice, because you share the same passion for that.
@sunrisefan (21557)
That was one good bonding Ms. LT :)
Yes, thank you. Have you done walking into the forest already?
@sunrisefan (21557)
@SIMPLYD Yes, we did walk in a little forest during summertime and we enjoined doing it as we'd pass by a small stream and we liked wading in the shallow water. We did some walks in a forest park too when we were in NZ and wow, their trees as soo tall and straight. One good thing is that there are no snakes in NZ whereas snakes abound in Australia.
@sunrisefan wow, then it's so nice to walk in the forest there because there are no snakes. I wonder why there are no snakes there?
Oh, what a fun thing to do!!!!! The photos show how much fun you had and looks like a beautiful place to walk. Of course the beach looks wonderful to me. lol I guess my feet are used to walking. I walk 4 to 6 miles a day, and usually more. The trick is to wear good socks and walking sneakers.
Thank you. Good for you that you always get to walk 4-6 miles a day. How much time do they consume? I am not used to walking a long one. And how much more in a forest. The last time I did it was when were in college, one summer. We went hiking on a mountain and I rolled down. Good thing, a big tree's trunk and roots caught me before I finally roll down into the seashore. So, I was surprised that we are to walk into the forest. I think it wasn't so tiring because we stop whenever Cris will talk about an old, big or weird tree will be passed by. Besides, it was so much fun walking, talking and laughing. We also passed by a hanging bridge, which the couple had done to be able to pass by a river.
@SIMPLYD I walk about one mile in 12-15 minutes. It depends who I walk with. I had to laugh when you rolled down the mountain. That happened to our dog. LOL! Glad you didn't get injured or worse. It's always more enjoyable walking and laughing with friends than walking alone.
@DianneN Yes, it's good that I didn't get bruised or whatever. But had it happened now in my old age, I know that my back would have hurt so much. Yes, walking or even jogging would be so nice and so enjoyable when it is by group or even with a friend only.
We are surrounded by forests and I often walk in the forest even for two hours or more. It is pleasant in summer, because it's cooler.
I envy you Anna that you get to walk in a forest for two hours or more. Is your husband with you when you do that? Aren't you afraid of the forest? I know, since you are used to walking, no body parts ached in you after doing the walk.
@SIMPLYD My husband always come with me when we take our morning walk, he also likes to walk, he sometimes walks too fast I have to ask to slow down.
@LadyDuck That's good. My hubby walks fast too. So, I would always call him to wait for me. He would be irritated and says I walk so slowly when it's him who walks fast.
@SIMPLYD I used to be a walker and something happened that I stopped doing so much walking and now I do not walk as much as I used to. It is very hard for me to walk a lot.
Why what happened, that made you stopped walking already?
@SIMPLYD I think it was I hurt my foot so I stopped walking and now I have my scooter and walk somewhat.
@Hannihar But can you still walk well?
@ridingbet (60769)
when i was younger, so much younger than today... .... no, not the song, but yes, we tried walking along the edge of a forest.
Why edge of the forest? Didn't you go into the forest and explored it well?
@ridingbet (60769)
@SIMPLYD the forest here is still uninhabited and virgin. i would not want to endanger myself because there may be unseen forces like 'tikbalang and kapre' that might haunt us. hahaha
@ridingbet I won't dare also if a forest is a virgin one and with no trails. Better to be safe than sorry. I am not a risk taker that is why.
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi @SIMPLYD. Looks like you enjoyed your time with your hs batchmates. I like to walk even for an hour and would definitely enjoy it if we are near a place where there are a lot of trees.
Indeed, we enjoyed the walk going into the forest, much to our surprise too that our body parts didn't ache. I was afraid as we go deeper into it because I thought it is getting evening already. So, have you ever gone into a forest?
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
@SIMPLYD I remember doing hiking back in high school in our science club. We walked in this forest like place in Laguna. So happy for you po.
@mlgen1037 Yes, most likely when we are still students, school activities like that - educational tour, enables us to experience going to a forest.
@Peach10 (1933)
Hanging bridge? that seems exciting.
Yes, we forget to take a picture though, while crossing it.
@Peach10 (1933)
@SIMPLYD It's a shame, you didn't get any pictures but there will a next time
@Peach10 well, we did have one and that a solo of our batchmate, last to walk through it.
I am usually worthless if I have been walking an hour or more. It sounds like you guys had a great time.
But do you exercise even at least 3 times a week? I do exercise at least 30 minutes a day about 3 weeks ago. However, I stopped exercising when my throat got sore. Doing an exercise at least makes you strong enough to do walking. So, maybe that's why not any part of my body after that walk, ached.
@SIMPLYD My back and neck make the walking long periods of walking painful. Before my accident I could walk as much as needed, no problem.
@AmbiePam That explains.
@JustBhem (44554)
• Davao, Philippines
Wow. By the picture, I can tell that you are having a good time with them.
I always do have a good time with my batchmates, every time we meet. We really laugh a lot in sharing happy moments and funny jokes about getting nearly seniors already.
@JustBhem (44554)
• Davao, Philippines
@SIMPLYD The best part is the fun.
@JustBhem I agree.
@chicnthin (2823)
Great that you have a bonding together
It came as a surprise for me, since I thought we will be going to Misibis Bay as I understood it, not Mirisbis which is a garden and a forest.
@chicnthin (2823)
@SIMPLYD oh it almost could be heard the same.
@chicnthin That is true, so that is why we mistook it for that.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is so sweet. I don't know if I could handle that kind of thing haha
Haven't you experienced that ever? I have experienced it already when we were in college. We went hiking up to the mountain and rolled down. Good thing the trunk of a big tree caught me.
• Peoria, Arizona
@SIMPLYD I have hiked many times and all times I was injured. I have really bad knees and ankles. So I stick to flat surfaces haha
@DesirousDreamer At least you tried and know now what to do and what not to do or avoid.
@Icydoll (26358)
That's nice. Glad you enjoyed your time together.. glad to see photos..I had the experience too walked for three hours to visit a temple in a village..that was a college trip with my friends ..
When walking, even if it is so far, is done with friends, it will not be difficult. I also experienced walking from a crossing together with my college friends, whenever we go home past 8:00 in the evening and there are no public jeepneys anymore. So we walk a long way going home to our town. But it was always so full of fun. Sometimes, we jokingly scare one another, so much so that we ran so fast.
@Icydoll (26358)
@SIMPLYD I can sense that fun in your words..glad you had good time with friends :)
@mandala100 (52660)
That must be really tiresome my friend.
Actually, it wasn't because we get to stop and Cris, the owner would tell us something about some trees and plants as well as some stones, as he is a retired geologist.
@mandala100 (52660)
@SIMPLYD Alright my friend.