I was corrected by a 6-year-old yesterday. This means war.

Pleasant Hill, California
I ran into two of my preschool co-workers at our local coffee house yesterday. One was with her two daughters, aged three and six. Both of the girls have been my students at the preschool, and we wound up watching bees collect pollen from some flowers next to our table. The three-year-old jumped down from my lap and we went over and watched the bees closely. I said, "Look! That one bee has pollen both on its legs and its tush, or abdomen." The six-year-old said, "No, bees only collect pollen on their legs." I said, "Oh, I stand corrected." This morning I Googled "how bees collect pollen." It turns out that bees do have "sacks" on their legs to collect pollen, but that many species of bees also leave pollen on their abdomen, which they remove when they get "home." When they fly, an electrostatic charge builds up on their bodies, leading to better adherence of the pollen to their bodies. I had never known this before! You don't mess with The Horse. That six-year-old has a lesson coming. I'll tell her mom about my research this morning. Buwaahaahaa!
@owlwings (39601)
• Cambridge, England
The other reason that bees also collect pollen on their abdomens is that they are just plain messy and can't avoid getting stuff all over them but GOD'S reason is that that's the way they carry the pollen from one flower to the other. The pollen they collect in their pollen sacs on their legs is for their own use but the pollen on their bellies is for the next flower so it can make seeds. Of course, it's all in the cunning plan - the electrostatic charge, the way that plants make it impossible for a bee to collect their nectar and pollen without carrying some of the pollen to the next flower and so on. Bees are pretty humble creatures (but pretty amazing, nonetheless). It's the plants who have the cunning and have managed to get the bees (and hummingbirds, bats, moths and butterflies not to mention all kinds of other creatures) to work for them and carry their pollen to another member of their species so that they can keep their species going. Now, a three-year old doesn't need to know all that but a six-year old will just love it if you say that you didn't know all that before but that Wikipedia and some old Owl just told you!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Why I am an omnivore. Animals are pretty smart, but plants know what they need to do to survive.
@Starmaiden (7341)
Opening a can of Whoop-@ on a six year old? You are a dark horse.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Starmaiden I think her mom is behind me. Or maybe not.
I lke the article on bee pollen.Oh you meanly. Ikidding)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I will beat the 6-year-old into intellectual submission. I am old-school. You don't mess with The Horse.
@TheHorse Okay will not mess with you.
I have a feeling that you and the 6-year-old should have a very long, and very lengthy, discussion regarding this bee/pollen thing. I think some sort of paper, perhaps for publication, should be a goal.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm OK with that.
@cintol (7563)
So your gonna go take down a 6 yr old, go get em Colin Hahaha
• Pleasant Hill, California
I gave her a smack down today, right in front of her mom.
@cintol (7563)
@TheHorse Way to go, I hope it wasn't too bad
@cintol (7563)
@TheHorse She probably didn't really care because she already knew how it was done lol. Those 6 yr old are pretty tough ya know
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
Ohh that's nice!!! She's a smart kid
• Pleasant Hill, California
Her mom laughed when I filled her in this morning.
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
@TheHorse hehehe!!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Jessabuma I will WIN!
You are perfectly correct and your 6 year old student is wrong. Let her know that you have checked and you aretelling her, so from now on she also knows. Do not tell her only to show that you know more and you are right and she is wrong. Don't be a "baby".
• Pleasant Hill, California
I always "argue" in the spirit of "advancing knowledge." I hope we get to watch more bees together.
@TheHorse Since I was a kid I liked to discuss because I liked to learn. My dad explained things and gave me evidence of what he was explained. Mom "argued" and it was "it's that way because I am your mother and I am right". It never worked with me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck did you learn more from your dad than your mom? Even with kids, I like to keep things as a "conversation." "I learned that..." "I'll look it up tonight and see if I'm right." "What do you think causes...?" Kids may forget "mwa mwa mwa," but they don't forget conversations with those who listen to them.
@kobesbuddy (52552)
• East Tawas, Michigan
She's a female 'Horse' and don't forget this valuable lesson! From birth, we are ALWAYS right
• Pleasant Hill, California
Which "we"?
@kobesbuddy (52552)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse I was joking, implying that females are always right. We, meaning 'me' and others of my gender. You promote laughter at times, please smile just once, O.K.?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy Heh. I think I knew that. I just like playing the straight man. But I'm going to keep this battle going (with the secret goal of using it as a teachable moment, and modeling the gathering of more information).
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That's adorable.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. I learn a lot from following up on kids' comments. Did you know that slugs and snails are hermaphrodites?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@TheHorse I did not but I know now.
@TheHorse It is embarrassing for a 6 year to tell you something you did not know. I believe kids are very smart these days.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Eh, I set her straight today. Some species of bees use their abdomens as well.
@TheHorse Better to let her know what is right than what is wrong. How did she react when you got back at her?
@rakski (20742)
Oh no. Smells war all right!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I will not be defeated by a six-year-old.
@rakski (20742)
@TheHorse for sure we all do not want that
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Colin. I thought you do not mind being corrected? Looks like the 6 year old is updated and does not want to be messed around. So be prepared. hehe
• Pleasant Hill, California
You don't mess with The Horse. The bees we were observing looking like the bee in the photo I posted. There was nectar all over their abdomens. Hah.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
@TheHorse hahaha. You will have your revenge. Do not worry.
@dya80dya (4675)
The title of this discussion is funny.Children are smart.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Mom laughed this morning. I look forward to further "debate" with her daughter.
@chicnthin (2834)
I hope I was as intelligent as her when I was six
• Pleasant Hill, California
I doubt that I was. But I didn't have ME as a teacher.
I can her future husband making her happy
• Pleasant Hill, California
Making who happy?
@garymarsh6 (14317)
Haha out of the mouth of babes! My grandson was here earlier. He was talking to our neighbour and my neighbour was just ignoring him.What are you doing? Do you need some help? He was asking why do your chieken's stink? Don't you wash them? Serious inquisitive questions from a four year old. Now go and lick your wounds and speak nicely to the six year old!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I will tell her that some species of bees carry pollen around on their abdomens, as well as their legs, and see what she says. It is ON.
Interesting how bees collect pollen so thanks for sharing. Have to laugh at you being corrected by a 3 yr old.
• Pleasant Hill, California
The 3-year-old as my lap doggie The 6-year-old, her older sister, was the one challenging me. You don't mess with The Horse.
@cherriefic (4804)
That's very cute! You show that preschool how it's done.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I am a monster. Today, we planted more corn and sunflowers.
@FourWalls (14655)
Let that be a lesson!!!! (As in, all of life is a lesson, and we can learn from everyone if we allow ourselves to do so.)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, I'm well aware of that lesson.
@Anaeu92 (140)
• Castlebar, Ireland
lol, that's cute in kids version, but it's another story when adults 'correct' you with a wrong variant....
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm difficult to defeat in an argument because I cite my sources.