How To Improve The Human Gene Pool

Germany
Did the tourist have to go for a midnight swim in the mouth of a river infamous for its aggressive saltwater crocodiles? Was it a good idea to urinate between the bars of a wrought-iron fence in a thunderstorm which via several cause and effect reactions resulted in the urinator’s penis to explode? He didn’t die, but he certainly removed himself from the gene pool with this action which is the pre-condition to be included in the Darwin Awards collection. In the mid 1980s such stories (bizarre deaths involving children aren‘t included) circulated the net and were discussed in usenet groups. Later several websites were created to collect them. The most well-known one was started in 1994. It's darwinawards.com (Put in front of the word. I tried adding the link here, but it doesn't work. It always turns into an error message) The motto of the site is: A Chronicle of Enterprising Demises Honoring those who improve the species . . . By Accidentally removing themselves from it! We find a list under the portrait of Darwin that leads us to the ‘Darwin Awards‘ back to the year 1995 mentioned according to their popularity, then to ‘Honorable Mentions‘, ‘The stupidity displayed by the participants in the following tales stops short of the ultimate Darwin Awards sacrifice. Nevertheless, we salute the spirit and innovation of their misadventures‘ and also ‘Urban Legends‘, apocryphal stories which have been included because of their popularity. The click on the item ‘Randomizers’ is perhaps the best way to get to know the site if you‘re not a systematically minded person who can only enjoy themselves if they start at the beginning and read through to the end. Click at random and if you feel attracted by the stories, you‘ll never be short of reading and lol material. If you‘ve got a boring job and need some fun or if you‘ve got a thrilling job but occasionally need some mental rest and recreation, save this site on your computer. Obviously, Bertrand Russell was right when he said, “Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." Wendy Northcutt, the publisher of the site, was asked how long she would laugh at death, "As long as I enjoy it," she says. "I don't have any plans to stop." Good news! A final thought for readers who don‘t feel so good laughing about stories on macabre demises, “One should not be ashamed of laughing over the misfortune of others. Humor is perceived by human brains alone, which sets us apart from all other beings. Jokes always involve the unexpected clash between reality and expectation.“ So be human and laugh! ----- Photo: RCS Libri & Grandi Opere SpA Milano/Il mondo degli animali
@Namelesss (1388)
I just typed in darwinawards.com and bookmarked the site. Thanks for the reading material, always looking for a good laugh.
@vandana7 (66076)
I feel proud that I am superior genes because I did not meet the same fate. A lot of that credit belongs to my laziness. LOL
Why, did you ever do anything which might have removed you from the human gene pool?
I've been a fan of the "Darwin Awards" for ages. Stupid is as stupid does.
One is torn between sympathy for the deaths and hilarity about the stupidity involved.
@MALUSE Exactly!
This was good and interesting to read because I am reading, currently a book on Gene: An Intimate Journey Through Life and found this post amongst some of your best, thank you
Thanks for your friendly words.
My sister commuted by train to the city of Chicago for many years to reach her place of work. I was amazed when she told me the train conductor would make this announcement often: "Please stop walking in front of trains." Texting while walking prompted that announcement.
@rakski (18472)
aw. and they find this funny?!?
Yes, many people do.
@xFiacre (4571)
@maluse It baffles me how the human race has survived thus far.
Yes, indeedy, not only because of human stupidity but also considering the sable toothed tigers that were roaming near the caves of our ancestors.
@LeaPea2417 (21064)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have heard of the Darwin Awards but never looked it up. Thanks for mentioning it.
• Bucharest, Romania
I don't know if I should laugh or be sad about how some people remove themselves from the gene pool.
@thelme55 (14705)
I have not heard about this site. Very interesting to know how the human gene pool be improved.
I never cease to be amazed by the stupidity of some members of the human race, it defy's logic!!
I am reading some "Darwin Awards" and I am amazed and stupefied at the same time. How can humans be so stupid and so many? Our species should have been extincted centuries ago.
@WorDazza (10103)
• Manchester, England
I love the Darwin Awards. I've been a fan for many years. I find no subject taboo when it comes to humour so it's right up my street.
I can think of quite a few who would qualify for these awards. Unfortunately they've already had children.
• Midland, Michigan
I will certainly looks this up. I hadn't heard of this situation or collection before. Maybe I can get a link to load. if
@mlgen1037 (29649)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Maluse. I am trying to process what I just read.
Thanks for sharing, I will look into it.
@peavey (16797)
I had heard of that site before but never made an effort to go there! I have been missing some good laughs.
@garymarsh6 (14263)
Some people are just far too stupid for their own good! It's hardly surprising some meet their maker prematurely!