MyCans Paid Me Too

@porwest (7045)
See what I did there? Oh my gosh! Will I be accused of click baiting? Surely there will be a few people here thinking, what is this MyCans thing? Is it another site like MyLot? Can I get paid there too? The short answer is no and YES! No, it is not another site like MyLot, but yes you CAN get paid. Hmm, maybe that's an intended pun? Can? What the heck am I up to here? I am of course talking about aluminum cans. And I have discussed them before. Well, at least I have discussed the value of collecting and saving them, and have even suggested that picking up cans you find that people leave everywhere thinking they are simple trash can add up to interesting amounts of money. I cashed in some cans recently for 50 cents per pound. While that may not seem like a lot, did I ever tell you that a pound of cans equals about 16 or so cans? It's true. What's more, those bigger cans that are all the rage with energy drinks usually require many less to make a pound. I have the guys at work who drink Monster Energy drinks like they are going out of style save them for me. I even have the UPS, FedEx, and Spee-Dee Delivery guys who come in save them and drop them into my collection box. Between what I drink at home with beer, and what my wife drinks at home with soda, and what the guys at work leave me, topped off with what I find lying on the ground and wherever else that I pick up, I actually make somewhere around $100 a month on cans alone. That's still not a lot of money, mind you. But I will take my pennies and my dollars wherever I can please and thank you. The best part is the only work I really have to do with them is to crush them, bag them, and take them to the paying recycling center. We are all vying for a penny here and a penny there. It surprises me how many people pass up the pennies dropped literally at their feet that they overlook. Looking for some extra money and have recycling centers that pay for aluminum cans? I'd advise you to begin collecting them, turning them in, and cashing in your rewards for doing so.
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Jim. Same as what my dad does. There is really money on those.
@porwest (7045)
Like I say, nothing life changing, but certainly every penny matters. I especially like pennies I really don't have to work for.
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
@porwest Yes. It is the penny that matters. I am with you on that.
Many of our cans here are returned to the stores as we here in MI pay deposits on them when we buy them.
@porwest (7045)
Still a good deal. I always hear many people still leave them behind and so others pick them up and get the deposits for them.
@porwest I have heard about that before here. I do not think we have that here yet.
@porwest (7045)
Shame you can't get paid there for recycling aluminum cans. It doesn't provide life changing money, of course, but depending on what you do with the little bit you get can certainly help along the way.
@porwest We have recycling for plastic bottles.
@porwest (7045)
@Hannihar Do they pay you for those?
All we do is recycle water bottles for 5 cents each. Not a can to be found around here. Drat!
@porwest (7045)
I'd love to be able to do that. I am assuming those are from deposits?
@porwest Yes, just deposits. However, I noticed no one is bothering to deposit around here anymore. It all goes into recycling. I'm penny wise and dollar foolish, so I should bring it to their attention.
@porwest (7045)
@DianneN Seems a lot of money being left on the table.
@Shellyann36 (11283)
Yep, cans are a good way to earn some extra gas money. We save ours. Hubby takes canned drinks to work. When we lived closer to my MIL she saved hers for us too. Her household could go through 6 cases of drinks in a week.
@porwest (7045)
I always just put my earnings into my brokerage account, but then that is where all the money typically goes. But ANY free money and ANY use of it sure does help a lot.
This is a really good idea and it's surprising how the amounts add up.
@porwest (7045)
It really is. People toss them all the time and I don't mind picking them up to collect the rewards.
You should know me by now! I do recycle cans and I do get paid.
@porwest (7045)
Of course.
I have been getting $1.80 a pound for cans.
@porwest (7045)
Holy smokes. I think the most I ever got was around 90 cents per pound. Then again, you live in California so it's probably worth about 50 cents.
@cupkitties (7372)
You can also be paid for copper, brass and steel from some locations. My dad turns in old parts from cars that he has worked on and gets paid for those.
@Plethos (10386)
over here in cali, someone told me that theres talk in the legislature of lowering the price for aluminum cans, but i havent been able to find any sources on this. If the price does go down, a lot of struggling people are going to struggle even more, especially if its a big decrease.
@stringer321 (3091)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I have a conflict inside me about picking up cans from the trash. My dad didn't like to see me giving cans and plastic bottles back to the supermarket. He claimed it is for the poors who have no work and no money. I think he is right, I don't like to be seen picking up cans and bottles to return to the store for money. I sometimes donate them to the poors, but, hey, it's easy money. I want some too. I can buy myself something that I don't want to spend my money that I work hard for. The money from cans I will feel free to spend on other stuff. There are many cans the guards drink and leave behind them, many plastic bottles I can collect. So I pick them up secretly, keep them in my car. I don't know how to feel about it. One thing is for sure, when I see someone who looks for cans, I will give what I got. Sometimes, waiting in line to return the cans is humiliating, 30 minutes just to return 30 cans, that is less than $3. Still, it feels like earning.
We save all our beverage containers to return so we get our deposit back. Not many to collect as there are many who collect in town here. I do collect a few that people toss out while driving out here in the country. No one but me collecting on this lonely stretch of road. That must earn me $2 a month.
It's an excellent idea and I know people who do that. I don't drink anything out of a can though, so it isn't something I would go out of my way to look for.
@Micmac (9225)
I save my water bottles, soda cans and cash them in at the store. I don't get much cash, but every little bit helps.
@lovebuglena (6844)
• Staten Island, New York
I just put everything in a clear plastic bag for the garbage people to take away when they pick up recyclable stuff. I should probably go to the supermarket and put them in those machines that crush them so I can get some pennies. I believe it's 5 cents per bottle or can. Not that I have a lot of that stuff though. I live in NYC and I actually see people (many are Asians for some reason) walking around streets, and rummaging through public garbage cans, and even those by people's homes, in search of plastic bottles or metal cans. And they have bags of them. I guess they take them to the supermarket later to cash in. But here it's 5 cents a bottle, so they need 20 of them to make a dollar.
it is a great way for extra money..but the nearest recycle place to me is over 20 miles away,and you have to weigh what you'll get against cost of going there.it's only worth it in this state if you have air conditioner parts or old water heaters to go with it.
@Starmaiden (7324)
I recycle my cans and water bottles. I used to go around the neighborhood and collect them but the competition has increased greatly.
@Anaeu92 (140)
• Castlebar, Ireland
I wish we had such centres here. But we don't. Would be nice for the glass bottles too. Alwys bring some for the glass recycling bins for free. Might as well get paid for that.
@rakski (20694)
oh yes, that is a good idea
I'd say $100 a month, or so, is very good money. I am not sure where a recycling center is around here, but should be easy to locate one.