We have deer!

Bunbury, Australia
I have often mentioned that Australia has kangaroos whereas America has deer. However it seems that we have deer too and in sufficient numbers to warrant a warning sign being placed on some roads. I knew there were wild deer in parts of Australia but this sign is on the east coast of Tasmania. I wonder if we’ll be lucky enough to see one in the wild and also lucky enough to avoid running into it with the car. I did some research on deer in Australia and it seems they are considered the most important and emerging pest species in eastern Australia, with numbers increasing rapidly. The first deer were released in Australia for recreational hunting in the 1880s. Not only do they compete with domestic herds for feed and water, they are also destroying treed areas when rubbing the velvet from their antlers. They are also damaging wetlands and contributing to soil erosion. I wonder if their numbers will increase in Western Australia to the point where they become a pest. Here is a link to the article I read:
As wild deer numbers continue to flourish in parts of New South Wales, there are renewed calls to declare the animals a pest.
We have a deer problem, the hunters are allowed a maximum number of deer according how much the deer population has grown during the year.
Those sort of rules apply here too. Some areas that are overrun with deer have allowed unlimited numbers to be slaughtered.
@JudyEv There is always a maximum number and only a few months a year to hunt deer. Right now they are not allowed, because there are babies.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
I thought that deer are good but they can also be somehow destructive.
They raid people's gardens and also compete with domestic animals for food and water.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@JudyEv Tsk tsk. They are adorable to me but I guess they have to be that way in order to survive too.
@mlgen1037 I think they are adorable too but I'm glad we don't have them running wild in our state.
@JudyEv I remember when I was in the United States and traveling somewhere and cannot remember where that is., I saw a deer and its beety eyes.
They seem to occur over most of the USA.
@JudyEv We have deer in our zoo here in Jerusalem.
@Hannihar They seem to adapt well to zoo life.
@porwest (7265)
In the United States much of our deer herds are controlled via hunting. They can still be pests per se, but there are actually a lot of people who feed them. They are quite ubiquitous in the States and are even often times in big cities.
They seem the equivalent of our kangaroos really. Some hunt them, some feed them and they're pretty much everywhere.
@porwest (7265)
@JudyEv Do you guys eat Kangaroo there?
@porwest There is plenty of kangaroo available but I don't think it is a particularly popular meat. It's a bit 'gamey' which some people don't particularly like.
@Icydoll (24492)
Deer look good but they are destructive
@kepweng (18505)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
why destructive?? my friend
They are becoming a real pest here.
@rakski (21845)
they are cute and look very gentle. And so I thought.
They do look very pretty don't they? And of course I'm always reminded of Bambi.
@rakski (21845)
@JudyEv oh yes, the cute little precious Bambi
Here we love Deer.
Do you mean to eat or just to have around? I'm guessing it's to eat. Venison is served here in some restaurants.
@JudyEv Both to eat and, have around, they are cool animals.
@Inlemay (16820)
• South Africa
we have buck - but some are dears too
Haha. Our kangaroos are not dears. They're very naughty.
@JESSY3236 (7264)
I didn't know that you have deer too. My uncle used to love to hunt, but he never shot any.
They are in Tasmania and some of the eastern mainland states but not in Western Australia.
I didn't know they caused so much damage. I have had my own run in with one a number of years ago when I hit a deer. It really did a lot of damage to the car. Luckily I wasn't hurt.
A deer or our bigger kangaroos can do a lot of damage that's for sure. Much of the roadkill here seems to be smaller marsupials.
@kepweng (18505)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
why called a Deer a pest if u can Consume thier meat??
It would be best if they weren't here as they compete with food that cattle and sheep could eat. They destroy trees and are generally a nuisance.
@xFiacre (5135)
@judyev I suppose the way to deal with that is to offer a lot of venison on the menu. I have a friend who bags a deer every year and fills his freezer with it along with rabbits and pigeons.
I think there are lot of people who shoot deer - those that like hunting, etc - and I'm sure a lot of them would pop the meat in the freezer. You can get venison in some restaurants and deer are farmed for meat but I think supply is outstripping demand at the moment.
Here this sign may stand for the wild animals rather than deers In fact I haven't seen it yet. It is too difficult to see wild animals in the city.
Mostly you don't see such signs near the bigger cities.
Oh no, not another introduced species down under. Rabbits, camels and now deer.
Yes and it seems deer might become the biggest problem of the lot as they are relatively large in size and so far have had no trouble in hopping over any fences that farmers put up.
They are pretty and gentle animals, but they can be destructive..and also cause quite a few accidents. My sister has totaled two cars in collisions with deer.
They are a bad size to hit with a car I would think. I can imagine them being hit in the legs and the body sliding up the bonnet and hitting the windscreen.
@wolfgirl569 (9982)
• Marion, Ohio
It is almost always a problem when non native animals are introduced to an area. They are beautiful and I hope you get to see one.
We have had a number of introduced pests that have played havoc with our native animals.