Changing up the Grocery List

@MissNikki (2937)
Maple Ridge, British Columbia
I am trying to help my parter (and myself in the process) to become healthier and lose some weight to relieve some of the hip pain caused by his arthritis. So, I'm starting to shop quite differently from my grocery store. I am trying (TRY being the key word here) to have him cut out breads as much as possible, so haven't even bought any. Added tons of salad ingredients to the list ... lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, celery, carrots etc. I've also tried to ensure all these ingredients are organic so as healthy as possible with no pesticides or GMO's ...which is expensive, but I think it is the best thing to do. Also, I'm going to have him drink (at least once per day) water with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar mixed in. I know how to make it taste good so he won't totally hate it. Additionally on our list is probiotic yogurt with his favorite fruit (cherries), hummus for dipping veggies instead of fatty processed dips, cashews, and guacamole. I really hope this helps him (and me too) to become overall healthier and happier people. I want him to live as long or longer than me so this needs to start now!! Has any particular diet or routine worked for you? I'd love to hear about it. (Photo courtesy of http://www.simplyfresh.info/five-pillars-of-healthy-eating/)
I am a vegetarian, who also hates dairy products, and I do believe I have benefited greatly from my 20 years of vegetarian eating. I do drink 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar each morning and it does do away with the arthritis pain in the knee I injured in high school. Sugar causes inflammation, so I steer clear of sugar whenever I can.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
I am also vegetarian. My partner is not, however he has agreed to go "part time" vegetarian for his health. LoL. Thank you for letting me know that apple cider vinegar helps with your arthritis!!
@MissNikki Yes, you have to buy the organic apple cider vinegar that looks a bit cloudy for it to work. I use Bragg's or Mott's organic apple cider vinegar.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
@Corbin5 He is trying it ... reluctantly. LoL. Got him to drink two glasses of apple cider vinegar mixed with water, honey and lemon juice two days in row! :) Let's try for day 3 tomorrow ... LoL
• Dallas, Texas
That is all very good to Try! I think it will work best when both of you share in the experience. I know I must cut back on sugar, and bread and potatoes. I hope you get a lot of good responses to your discussion.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Thank you @lookatdesktop Sugar is another thing we need to work on as well - we both love treats. LoL.
@MissNikki You really are buying really healthy things and making healthy things. Good for you.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Unfortunately not making as many healthy things as I should be ... we are trying ... slowly. LoL
@MissNikki Doing it slowly is all you can do.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
@Hannihar We had a healthier dinner tonight - salad!
@caopaopao (12626)
The food on your list is very healthy. I wish I could eat like this.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Well, I guess you could start trying!!
@caopaopao (12626)
@MissNikki I will. Thank you.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
@caopaopao Best of luck
@VivaLaDani13 (23815)
• Perth, Australia
@MissNikki It's so kind of you to try really hard to help you both to be healthier. And you're trying hard to help your partner. You're a good person Nikki. Much luck to both of you!
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Awww, you are so sweet Dani. We are still trying, not doing as well as I would like but that's fine! Going shopping again tomorrow - hoping to find some new healthy things for him to try because I think he is bored of the stuff we started with back in the summer! LoL.
• Perth, Australia
@MissNikki lol hey that's all good. Not everything we plan in our minds turns out to be as good as we hoped. I think it's good that you're finding another way though instead of just shutting the whole plan down completely.
@nela13 (11531)
• Portugal
That is a great goal, I have banned sugar from my diet and I feel much better now.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
I can't go totally without it but definitely trying to cut down.
@nela13 (11531)
• Portugal
I think it sounds good. I know I feel best when I eat lots of fruits and veggies, especially in this hot weather.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Yes, fruits and veggies in the hot weather are great!
I need to do this myself. I like your style.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
I need to start doing this again - fell off the wagon a bit LoL
Sounds like you are off to a good start
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Yeah, we are trying anyway!
@Icydoll (29392)
It's good to take fibre content foods.
@MissNikki (2937)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Yes, it sure is.