Changing up the Grocery List

@MissNikki (2686)
I am trying to help my parter (and myself in the process) to become healthier and lose some weight to relieve some of the hip pain caused by his arthritis. So, I'm starting to shop quite differently from my grocery store. I am trying (TRY being the key word here) to have him cut out breads as much as possible, so haven't even bought any. Added tons of salad ingredients to the list ... lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, celery, carrots etc. I've also tried to ensure all these ingredients are organic so as healthy as possible with no pesticides or GMO's ...which is expensive, but I think it is the best thing to do. Also, I'm going to have him drink (at least once per day) water with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar mixed in. I know how to make it taste good so he won't totally hate it. Additionally on our list is probiotic yogurt with his favorite fruit (cherries), hummus for dipping veggies instead of fatty processed dips, cashews, and guacamole. I really hope this helps him (and me too) to become overall healthier and happier people. I want him to live as long or longer than me so this needs to start now!! Has any particular diet or routine worked for you? I'd love to hear about it. (Photo courtesy of http://www.simplyfresh.info/five-pillars-of-healthy-eating/)
I am a vegetarian, who also hates dairy products, and I do believe I have benefited greatly from my 20 years of vegetarian eating. I do drink 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar each morning and it does do away with the arthritis pain in the knee I injured in high school. Sugar causes inflammation, so I steer clear of sugar whenever I can.
@MissNikki (2686)
I am also vegetarian. My partner is not, however he has agreed to go "part time" vegetarian for his health. LoL. Thank you for letting me know that apple cider vinegar helps with your arthritis!!
@MissNikki Yes, you have to buy the organic apple cider vinegar that looks a bit cloudy for it to work. I use Bragg's or Mott's organic apple cider vinegar.
@MissNikki (2686)
@Corbin5 He is trying it ... reluctantly. LoL. Got him to drink two glasses of apple cider vinegar mixed with water, honey and lemon juice two days in row! :) Let's try for day 3 tomorrow ... LoL
• Dallas, Texas
That is all very good to Try! I think it will work best when both of you share in the experience. I know I must cut back on sugar, and bread and potatoes. I hope you get a lot of good responses to your discussion.
@MissNikki (2686)
Thank you @lookatdesktop Sugar is another thing we need to work on as well - we both love treats. LoL.
@caopaopao (10942)
The food on your list is very healthy. I wish I could eat like this.
@MissNikki (2686)
Well, I guess you could start trying!!
@caopaopao (10942)
@MissNikki I will. Thank you.
@MissNikki (2686)
@caopaopao Best of luck
@nela13 (7485)
• Portugal
That is a great goal, I have banned sugar from my diet and I feel much better now.
@MissNikki (2686)
I can't go totally without it but definitely trying to cut down.
@nela13 (7485)
• Portugal
Sounds like you are off to a good start
@MissNikki (2686)
Yeah, we are trying anyway!
@Icydoll (22461)
It's good to take fibre content foods.
@MissNikki (2686)
Yes, it sure is.
@VivaLaDani13 (20493)
• Perth, Australia
@MissNikki It's so kind of you to try really hard to help you both to be healthier. And you're trying hard to help your partner. You're a good person Nikki. Much luck to both of you!
@MissNikki You really are buying really healthy things and making healthy things. Good for you.
I think it sounds good. I know I feel best when I eat lots of fruits and veggies, especially in this hot weather.
I need to do this myself. I like your style.