Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 61 Matthew 21:23-46 Matthew 21:23 And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority do thou these things? And who gave thee this authority? 24 And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in likewise will tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 The baptism of John, whence was it? From heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him? 26 But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet. 27 And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things. 28 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work today in my vineyard. 29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. 30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. 31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you. 32 For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him. 33 Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and dug a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country: 34 And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it. 35 And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another. 36 Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise. 37 But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son. 38 But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance. 39 And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him. 40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard comes, what will he do unto those husbandmen? 41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons. 42 Jesus said unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes? 43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. 44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. 45 And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spoke of them. 46 But when they sought to lay hands on him, they feared the multitude, because they took him for a prophet. For centuries people have questioned authority, their right to authority, and rebelling against it. The chief priests and elders of the people, Pharisees, questioned Jesus about his authority over the things he did and said. In return Jesus questioned them about John the Baptist. They couldn’t answer Jesus’ question, and Jesus in return told them he wouldn’t tell them where his authority came from. However, Jesus told them two parables. In those parables he told them exactly who he was and where he got his authority. As Christians, you know Jesus’ authority was from God his Father. You know everything he did was because his Father willed it. Therefore, you can easily see the correlation between the servants and the son mentioned in the parables. The servants being the prophets the husbandmen wouldn’t listen to. The husbandmen being the nation of Israel, and the son, being the Son of the Father, or the Son of God, Jesus, himself. The husbandmen, Israel, wouldn’t listen or heed what the servants, prophets, proclaimed, and killed the Son. Jesus then told them the vineyard, Kingdom of God, would be given to other nations. The Pharisees rightly discerned he was talking about them. Since Jesus’ death and resurrection, proving himself to be the Son of God, the kingdom of God, has been taken to every country, with the opportunity for everyone to accept Jesus as Savior and Lord. When a person accepts Jesus as Savior and Lord, they are broken. Their old nature disintegrates, and breaks apart, leaving a new person, ready to accept what Jesus has for them in their new life. However, when a person rejects Jesus, their lives are shattered and they become as dust. 2 Corinthians 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (KJV) It is better to accept Jesus as Savior and Lord, than to be crushed by him. Let’s pray: Father, all authority belongs to you, and to those whom you give it. Help me be a person of authority for your kingdom, drawing people to you through Jesus Christ, my Lord. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 19 June 2018 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
@jobelbojel (7113)
Amen! Where will I'd be without Jesus! He is the Highest authority.
Yes, he is. Have a blessed day.
@just4him have a blessed day
@jobelbojel Thank you. It is.
@mlgen1037 (29658)
• Manila, Philippines
Only to Jesus. Thank you, Valerie.
You're welcome. Have a blessed day.
@mlgen1037 (29658)
• Manila, Philippines
@just4him Likewise, Valerie.