Have you ever had a friend who found out you had a condition and they dropped you like a hot potato?

Dallas, Texas
I was working at a retail store that sold computers and office supplies and furniture, the whole 9 yards. I was a sales rep. One day I was told I need to take medications for my mood swings, and I was labeled Bipolar. I was friends with a guy at work who, after finding out about my medical diagnosis, dropped me as a friend and completely avoided me. This is what makes me wonder, are all people like that? Do all people start to treat you like you don't exist after you have been proven to be less than perfect? Oh well, it's sad but I guess there are fates worse than this.
No. Not all people are like that and I know for sure. My bipolar eldest daughter is a successful professional and in this moment she is in Europe in a sort of honeymoon with her boyfriend. They love each other dearly. That "friend" of yours is no friend. I´d look for real friends elsewhere.
• Dallas, Texas
I agree. But it does hurt for a while until I am able to move on and get over it.
@lookatdesktop I wholly understand. And if you are bipolar, you are more fragile and hurt is deeper as I know from the experience with my eldest daughter.
• Dallas, Texas
@marguicha , Yes, sometimes in public I can be quite the cut up. But if a person finds me acting a bit too outlandish or corny they might snap at me and say, Do you always act like this? When I don't even realize that I am manic, I sometimes like to talk to people when going out in public. I am a social person though. There is a fine line, however, between being social and being out of control manic. When I am in a manic phase, I sometimes over do it and by the time someone tells me, Can you please shut up or Can you go away? I get the message and then go into a severe deep withdrawal and stay away from people for a few days while suffering depressive episodes thinking If only I was able to act like other people. I would be better off not talking to anyone or going anywhere. It is like that with me sometimes. Part of my condition though.
@sw8sincere (5110)
lol those people who acted like that aren't your friends after all. Real friend won't reject or dumped you and will accept you for who you are. Fortunately, i don't have a friend like that.
• Dallas, Texas
I am glad you do not. You must choose your friends carefully. I find that it is best not to argue two things to avoid conflict, religion & politics. But lately talking about the FAKE news can really make matters hard to deal with even with very close friends.
@wolfgirl569 (9978)
• Marion, Ohio
They were not a true friend and proved it.
• Dallas, Texas
I have lived life with these fair weather friends since childhood. People never change. I can read right through their facade.
People act in strange ways to things they don't understand. It could be that he had heard bad things about people with bipolar or experienced bad things because of someone with it. No two people are the same and this is especially true of people who suffer from bipolar. I say let the ignorant stay that way and may they find each other.
• Dallas, Texas
I really think that sooner or later they will get wise to the truth.
@lookatdesktop Maybe so but it could just as easily be too late.
• Dallas, Texas
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yes, at the very least, not always too late, but yea, I figure as much.
@RubyHawk (29138)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't believe most people are like that. I hope not anyway. I think most people understand that we all can have ailments.
• Dallas, Texas
We all do at some time or another. Thanks for your understanding. It helps a lot.
@RubyHawk (29138)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@lookatdesktop True, most of us don't get through life unscathed.
• Dallas, Texas
@RubyHawk Part of what makes us gain more inner strength and tolerance for others different from ourselves.
hard to read people's mind, they have thier own reason maybe you can ask whats his problem for treating you like that and that its not contagious so he should stop acting like a brat
@lookatdesktop yes i think youre friends are theones that need treating and not you lol
• Dallas, Texas
@Strawberry18 , Thanks for your good words.
That's the problem of some people. They cannot be loyal forever. When I was a university, I had a group of friends. I thought they were good friends. But then, they had changed and dropped me for having a problem.
• Dallas, Texas
I put my trust in the kindness of others, and overlook their shortcomings, including those who would have trouble with knowing my condition. I understand. I once was like them, when I was young, and I thought I should steer clear of CRAZY PEOPLE. But, I matured and grew out of that ignorant thinking.
@lookatdesktop I had learned a big lesson with my university friends at that time. Some people stay only in good times.
• Dallas, Texas
@Shavkat , Fair weather friends more or less. I know the feeling.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Anthony. Then he is not a good friend after all. Is being bipolar a disease that can contaminate others? Sad, really sad.
• Dallas, Texas
Bipolar Disorder is a form of mood or emotional disorder causing mood swings and behavioral changes that are not directly a result of current circumstances. It is inherited and is only spread through families by inheriting a certain group of genes. It is not something that can spread like a virus and for that matter, seeing a therapist and taking medications often does good for the patient suffering this dreaded disorder.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@lookatdesktop Thank you, Anthony. I appreciate that. But being a bipolar (or any emotional disorder) should not hinder anyone from having friends. Some people treat these disorders as a disease and make a person feel horrible. At least, people who are not educated on this, feel like you are someone to be dreaded. That for me is just sad.
• Dallas, Texas
@mlgen1037 , I agree.
I would say this guy wasn't a true friend. Otherwise be would have been there through good times and bad
• Dallas, Texas
I agree. It is often this way with me. My father had a friend who talked on the CB, back in the days of Citizen Band Radio in the 60s and 70s. One day the man came over for a visit and when he found out my dad was handicapped, had to rely on crutches to get around from Polio as a child during the 20s when there was a wide spread Polio pandemic in America killing thousand of children and crippling them for life, well, the man told him to his face, "I didn't know that you were a cripple." My dad dropped him faster than he dropped him for being less than perfect. "You sound different on the radio than you look in person." How rude, crude, ugly and disgusting could that so called CB friend be? Not a friend, but just a bad person to drop like a rotten potato as far as I'm concerned about it.
@lookatdesktop that really is cruel and I feel bad that your dad was treated this way. Sadly there are people in this world who disregard those with any sort of challenge as impaired. Far from truth. I've see people with handicaps do better than those who supposedly aren't handicapped.
• Dallas, Texas
@Marilynda1225 In many cases those with hardships learn better coping skills in life.
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
I have experienced something similar. I had a friend (or I thought that he was a friend) We mostly talked about our jobs and about travelling which we were both interested in. One day I told him that I had depressions and since that day he completely avoided me. Fortunately most of my other friends have been supportive.
@garymarsh6 (14431)
That guy was obviously too shallow for his own good. It is good to get rid of such people!
• Dallas, Texas
It is painful but there are people like that. I appreciate your kind and thoughtful reply.
@garymarsh6 (14431)
@lookatdesktop Remember this if nothing else. They are the loser not you!
• Dallas, Texas
@garymarsh6 , Thank you.
It's sad when people treat you like that. So far, I'm lucky none of my friends dropped me when I told them the disease I'm dealing with. I have ulcerative colitis. However, I'm no different now, than I was before the diagnosis. My son is bipolar, so I know his mood swings, and it would not cause me to drop you as a friend, knowing that.
• Dallas, Texas
I know that. I appreciate your kind comment.
@caopaopao (12501)
I don't think a real friend would do that. If your friend does this, it's no pity that you lose such a friend.
• Dallas, Texas
Yes, real friends can accept you for you as your are. Nobody is perfect. Only God is perfect. Some think they are though.
@caopaopao (12501)
@lookatdesktop You're right, my dear friend.
@AKRao24 (20954)
Some times people behave in a strange way! They always forget that they also can have some ailment and if they don't mend the ways they can also face such similar situation! Any way there are some good Samaritans also in the Society. Thanks!
• Dallas, Texas
Knowledge is the best way towards understanding others with different problems, be it physical, emotional, intellectual or attitudes.
@AKRao24 (20954)
@lookatdesktop , there is no second opinion about that dear friend! Thanks!
@Starmaiden (7641)
I had people steer clear of me when they discovered I have epilepsy. That was mostly when I was younger. I know a guy whose wife abandoned him and their daughter when he got cancer. The world still has some ignorant people, but mostly I see the good in everyone.
• Dallas, Texas
You are the person who best represents the good in all of us.
@lookatdesktop Thank you.
@LeaPea2417 (21939)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have had "friends" who only call me when they want something. Also, when I was in College, there were these two girls who were friends. I was not friends with them. They never said two words to me. I spent two years at a the College. Towards the end of those two years, all of a sudden, they asked me if they can borrow a belt they had seen me wear for a weekend trip they were taking. I was so shocked, I let them borrow it. They did return it after the weekend. But, after that , once again, they never talked to me.
• Dallas, Texas
Totally a downer.
• St. George, Bermuda
As Far as i am concerned He Was Not a Friend at all if he finds out something is wrong then drops you as a friend. But as they say you reap what you sow what goes around comes around so he will get his turn he will get what is coming to him and it will not be pretty.
• Dallas, Texas
Partly it was the fault of the store manager, who spread the private information with others at the company as no one else but the manager should have been aware of the facts but rumors spread like wildfire in that company resulting in everyone finding out.
• Lubbock, Texas
No that's not how all people are. Some people aren't sure how to act once they find things out like that, some people are just rude and judgmental, but some people might not know how to react. Have you tried talking with him to see why he stopped being your friend? Or is it just assumed that he knows and now he doesn't want to be your friend?
• Dallas, Texas
I made an attempt to contact him once and there was no return call. I figured it was something to put behind me from experience and not hold any grudges. I had to move on. It was a wake up call for me. People who I thought were my friends, some remained distant for years until they came to understand that I was not the monster they thought I was from the rumors and the stereotype about my condition running around in the general media.
@dya80dya (5287)
I met such a person. I told him I have anxiety and he never talked to me again.
• Dallas, Texas
Hey, you're better off without that person. If people could just look at themselves in the mirror, but then maybe they do and think they are the best person in the world, but of course, they are lying to themselves, big time.
@aureliah (18380)
• Kenya
That is not a true friend and I would be glad that he dropped you when you were not in a very serious problem. It would have been worse
• Dallas, Texas
Yep.