A boat-ride to Cape Pillar

Cape Pillar, Tasmania
Bunbury, Australia
While in the Port Arthur region we took a boat ride out around Tasman Island and to Cape Pillar. The dolerite cliffs there are 300 metres (about 1,000 feet) high and only accessible via a walking trail. We have it on good authority that the cliffs were once used for target practice by the armed forces. Our boat was a state-of-the-art affair which could do 25 knots. We were given bright red plastic ponchos-with-sleeves to keep out any spray we might encounter as, although the boat had a roof, the sides were open to the weather. Luckily we’d been warned to rug up warmly. It was a fantastic boat-ride. We saw whales and one breached right beside us. Vince considered himself lucky to have captured a picture of its tail. We nosed into caves at the foot of the cliffs and saw the winching platform that was used to service the lighthouse that once operated on top of Tasman Island. A bachelor herd of seals could be smelt long before we caught sight of them on the rocks.
@Icydoll (23244)
Glad you enjoyed boat trip... my dear friend
It was freezing cold coming back to the landing but I still enjoyed it.
What a wonderful ride you had. Seeing the whales right beside would be so very special. I would have enjoyed that ride.
Yes, we were very lucky to see the whales. There are strict regulations now about not getting too close to them.
@JudyEv So glad those regulations are in place. I wish that the swimming-with-the-dolphins would end. Dolphins become very anxious and stressed when humans swim with them.
@Corbin5 There are opportunities to interact with dolphins at Monkey Mia and at Bunbury in our state but such interaction is strictly controlled now.
It must have been fun..We went on a whale watching trip out of Virginia Beach once..and saw a few small dolphins..(cormorant) I believe that had fun following the boat. Maybe they were paid off in fish..to give the tourists a show! lol
@moffittjc (44475)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would have been heaven on that boat ride getting to see and experience all those things you wrote about! I love doing stuff like that! I would have been giddy with excitement at seeing a whale breach right beside the boat!
Vince got a photo of its tail but I'll use it for a post. It is pretty amazing to see them come right out of the water like this one did.
@moffittjc (44475)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I've never been so lucky to spot a whale from a close distance. I experienced a giant stingray swim under our fishing boat once in the Atlantic Ocean, that freaked me out pretty bad (it looked like a giant flying saucer under the water). I never knew stingrays (or manta rays?) could get so large.
@moffittjc That would have been pretty awesome. I know some of these creatures are huge. And they used to hunt whales with rowboats. Can you imagine that?
I am glad you enjoyed, looking at the entrance of the cave my poor heart started to rush. I cannot control my claustrophobia.
Oh, that's a shame. This is as close as we got so hopefully your heart can stop rushing now.
@JudyEv I know I would even never been able to go inside.
@LadyDuck I'm with you there. You and I would wait in the boat outside until the others come back! Strangely, I visited the Blue Grotto in Capri without problems. The entrance is even lower but it's light inside. My claustrophobia has become worse over the years. So this must have been at a time when it wasn't as fully developed as it is now. Once we were in Rome in a Holy Year on our way back from Sardinia to Germany. We had my mother-in-law and one sister-in-law with us. They wanted to see the underground tombs of Popes in St Peter. I got down the steps with them, too, but had to turn back after some meters. It wasn't easy to get out again. The exit is at the end of the tour. I had to go against the stream of incoming people. The tourists going down must have taken me for a mad woman. Well, so be it. I can live with that.
Awesome experience. They look like a great place to have target practice. Seeing whales and seeing one breech, is totally awesome. It's one experience I hope to have one day.
It was unexpected on my part although apparently this is the time of year when they're migrating.
@JudyEv That makes seeing them even better.
You always take me back to my own memories. Talking of cliffs I had that experience riding on the Narmada river with soft stone cliffs skirting high above some having shapes of celebrity faces such as one of Mahatma Gandhi. Yes. we were told of crocodiles being there and this after we reached in the middle of the river I just wanted to get back Were you not afraid of Whales? The Great Barrier Reef had us experience the sub marine where schools of fish were seen.
I was a bit concerned that a whale might come up from underneath us but luckily that didn't happen. Some of the cliffs do take on odd shapes - not that I'm saying Mahatma Gandhi is odd.
Do bachelor seals smell different from spinster seals? :-)
I hope the spinsters smell a bit nicer or no self-respecting male would go near them!
@JudyEv Why not? The males stink, too, as you've written. They can be smelled even from afar! Bachelors and spinsters could combine their stinkiness. :-)
@MALUSE No doubt they do combine their stinkiness when the time comes.
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Judy. Thats awesome! I want to try that one day. You were able to get inside that cave too?
We didn't go much further than what the photo shows.
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
@JudyEv I thought you were able to go inside. But is it allowed?
@mlgen1037 It is allowed but it might be a bit dangerous.
@AKRao24 (20622)
What a wonderful trip you are having there....lovely cliffs with whales and seals around! Wow ...now I am thinking to change my mind and should travel to have those life time experiences! Thanks for sharing dear friend! Picture is simply superb!
Thank you. We didn't often take trips like this as some are expensive but now I say to Vince 'we'll probably never come back here'. And of course, Vince is able to get some lovely photos on these trips.
@AKRao24 (20622)
@JudyEv , though they may be expensive but they worth it I feel! That is a lifetime experience you had there! Please could you post those pictures taken by Vince? Thanks!
@AKRao24 I'll try to put some up from time to time.
@Jessabuma (33182)
• Baguio, Philippines
Wow! I am glad to know you had a very memorable experience there..
Thanks. We were pleased that we went too as we would missed it all otherwise.
@Jessabuma (33182)
• Baguio, Philippines
@JudyEv you're welcome..
@YrNemo (14212)
A magnificent view! I am so in awe of that impressive rock wall that a verse of a hymn coming to my mind right at once, 'Oh Lord my God, when I am in awesome wonder... consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made...'
I know that hymn! How Great Thou Art. It is a marvellous hymn and the words really do suit places like this.
@YrNemo (14212)
Wow, those are some steep cliffs .... I'm so glad I'm a land lubber. Will Vince let you show us that photo of the whale tail?
I'll do a post about whales and include it them.
Oh good @JudyEv that will be so interesting.
I love to take a boat trip.We do this often here.
A boat trip can be very relaxing don't you think?
@JudyEv Oh yes I loved it.To be out in the open water.Yes
@responsiveme (16835)
Those cliffs are imposing.The whale and seals added to the sight seeing
The cliffs were very imposing as they were so tall. It's hard to give the right impression with a photo.
Did you actually enter those caves.?
Not really. Just poked our 'nose' into them really.
Wow that sounds amazing. I would have loved it.
Yes, it was a special trip although I was so, so cold on the way back. Once we'd seen everything they just hurried for home and it got very, very cold.
@rakski (20694)
Did you go inside that cave?
We didn't go much further than what you see here.
Did you go through what looks like a tunnel?
No, it wasn't a tunnel and we only went up to the entrance.
@simplfred (4512)
Quite an adventure. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks. I hope you enjoyed it.