Ten Favorite Allen Toussaint Compositions: Java (#8)

@FourWalls (13737)
What's more discombobulating than a three-day weekend? Having a holiday in the middle of the freaking week!!! Welcome to "that kind" of week. As people grapple with which days to take off (Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday) to complete their 4th of July holiday I'll contemplate slinging another classic by the late, great Allen Toussaint on you. You're thinking you don't know the name? You do know the songs! And here's yet another proof. #8: Java Two trumpet players set Toussaint up for life with their renditions of songs he wrote. I'll get to the other one later. Meanwhile, Bourbon Street was rolling in dough (and not the beinet dough) thanks to the New Orleans-based trumpet player Al Hirt recording this instrumental written by the New Orleans-based singer/songwriter. "Java" was Al Hirt's first hit, and his biggest, making the Billboard top five. And, with the possible exception of Hirt's rendition of "Flight of the Bumblebee" (which was used as the theme song to the TV series The Green Hornet), it was, and probably ever shall be, synonymous with Al Hirt. Toussaint originally recorded it in the late 50s, playing piano with a saxophone accompaniment. But it was Al Hirt who gave us the version that everyone remembers. And you know me: I'd rather listen to "Java" than drink it!! Java Written by Allen Toussaint Recorded by Al Hirt From Honey In the Horn, 1964 Al Hirt getting an intro from Ed Sullivan on the really big shew:
(Samba Rock Flash Back) Bons Tempos,
Now you are playing my parent's music! They had Al Hirt's albums.
@FourWalls (13737)
My parents had The Best of Al Hirt, too.
@myklj999 (13830)
• Olney, Illinois
I have java all over my computer
@FourWalls (13737)
Of course you do. Cats knock everything over.