It's Yankee Doodle Dandy Day!

Los Angeles, California
Today is the one day of the year we can waive the flag and wax patriotic without any frowns in today’s climate. Nothing says 4th of July more than the classic 1943 movie “Yankee Doodle Dandy” starring James Cagney. The movie is loosely based and I mean loosely based on the life of George M. Cohan. Who is George M. Cohan? Only the most dominating creative force the American theater has ever known. He was star, playwright, composer, producer and director of dozens of shows. His most famous songs are the standards “Over There,” “Give My Regards to Broadway” and “You’re a Grand Old Flag.” Cohan owned Broadway in the early 20th century. Tough guy Cagney in a musical? Did you know he began his career on Broadway as a hoofer? He cannot carry a tune but puts over songs in his usual ferocious Cagney style. His dancing is an unusual stiff legged Irish gait that was actually admired by the likes of Gene Kelly. “Yankee Doodle Dandy” was an enormous flag waiving wartime box office hit. The movie received nine Academy Award nominations winning four including Best Actor for Cagney. “My mother thanks you My father thanks you My sister thanks you And I thank you”
Jimmy Cagney performs his signature number in this 1942 biographical film about George M. Cohan.
Wha does a hoofer do? I have heard of James Cagney but have never seen him or anything he did. have a happy fourth!
A hoofer is another term for dancer.
@JohnRoberts OH ! that makes sense!
@JohnRoberts Thanks for the explanation,.
@myklj999 (18416)
Today is the day I can crank my stereo as loud as I want and no one can really complain about the noise.
"Pump up the volume!"
@myklj999 (18416)
@JohnRoberts I swear that used to be a 'tag' for Agree shampoo commercials
Should be interesting to watch. Will you be doing anything special today?
I will doing the usual.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know any of this. And I hope you had a great 4th of July.
What a marvelous movie that one happens to be. Cagney is always a joy to watch.
Happy 4th! Yankee Doodle Dandy is indeed the perfect movie for today
@Daelii (5941)
I forgot about that song! I remember singing it in grade school! Now another one to add to my kids play list today!
@porwest (7438)
Geez. Haven't seen this flick in years. I did not know Cagney was less than a tough guy in his early career. Interesting. Happy 4th to you by the way.
Think that I've only seen bits of that movie here and there. Not the whole thing.
@rakski (22170)
nice! nice! Happy 4th of July!
Put a feather in his cap and called it macaroni! Yes, I know it's not about the song...lol.