Hitchhikers

By Mm.
Slovenia
I met hitchhikers today. Did you ever do it? Do you think it is safe in your country? I would like to read your thoughts on this.
There were a few times me and some gal pals during high school hitched rides BUT it was always with someone we knew rather than a stranger and nowadays I would not get into a strangers car as you never know what they are packing !
• Slovenia
I totally agree.
@Sunshine61 although I wish to see soon in my life time the real trust my grandparents witnessed when rising in motor cars that were packed with other people ALL trusting each other--- but that seems like such a long time ago.
• Slovenia
@enlightenedpsych2 Sounds great :)
@Porcospino (22409)
• Denmark
I have never done it. I don't think it is safe. I don't want to accept a lift from strangers and I don't want to invite strangers into my car.
• Bucharest, Romania
It means people don't trust people anymore.
@Porcospino (22409)
• Denmark
@Cristi_Ichim I know there are people who still hitchhike. I saw a couple of them the other day, but personally I find it too risky.
@mandala100 (57419)
Nope my friend I don't give a ride to a strangers.
• Slovenia
Good for you!
@mandala100 (57419)
@Sunshine61 Alright my friend and see you around.
@maximax8 (29138)
I travelled to Australia in 1993 and 1994. Back then the news in Australia talked about a backpacker murderer and so hitchhiking was considered dangerous. In 2001 I stopped off in French Polynesia on my way to New Zealand. I had sat at the airport for a lot of hours as my flight had arrived in the night time. I took a bus to the port and a ferry to a lovely island. We had missed the only bus so three of us hitched our ride to the camp site. We rode in the back of a van in the open air. In 2003 i visited an island in Croatia and the walk to the national park was meant to be 1 km. However it was really 15 kl. I was asked if I wanted a lift as I walked along the road. I was so tired and so I said yes please. The kind driver took me to the national park. Coming back I went in the car of some tourists from Hungary.
I do not think hitchhiking is safe today, but my husband hitchhiked from college to his hometown in the late 1960s and 1970s and nothing bad ever happened to him. I think things were safer back then. I have never hitchhiked.
• Slovenia
Yes back then it was much much safier.
My answer is here:
My hitch-hiking days were in the 1960s, a time when most of the members weren´t born yet. Was it a safe way of travelling then or at least safer than today? I...
• Bucharest, Romania
It is generally safe of course. In just very few cases it is unsafe.
@AKRao24 (21972)
This is no more safe in my country as many crimes have been done by this process! It is again a unnecessary burden to carry a stranger in our vehicle in case of any accident! Thanks!