Do you buy items that have stains on them?

Of course I don't mean clothes. I wouldn't buy clothes with stains on them at all. What I refer to are things like cups and glasses with stains or a book that has a stain on it. Would you buy that item or would you pass it by? In the picture above you will see a book I got today. I wasn't going to get it because there was a stain on it but I decided to get it anyway. The stain was so small that the person who was with me said he hadn't even caught it. I'm assuming it's possibly chocolate from when an employee was putting the books up. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't imagine it's uhm.. well you know, I'm not going to say it because of those of you who might be squeamish. Do you buy items if there are stains on them? What item would you Definitely NOT buy if it had a stain on it? Refresh the page if you do not see the photo.
@UncleJoe (9947)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Used dentures.
Yeah but they are designed for size so the wearer would be constantly losing their used dentures otherwise.
And they call us Californians different! I'd never heard of selling used dentures.
@UncleJoe (9947)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@BearArtistLady LOL Do you really believe everything anybody says online? I was just trying to be funny.
If this is a second hand book, no problem. If I pay for "new", I want something "new".
Yes, I'm definitely referring to second hand items. I would NOT buy an item that was new but had a stain on it. Those things should be sent back to the warehouse or manufacturer, I think most stores would get a credit for that type occurrence.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yes, I suppose the stores get a credit for new items that are stained or have some defects.
@LadyDuck I know when I was a grocery stock clerk, we could send things back.
@Porcospino (17873)
• Denmark
I have bought second hand books and magazines with stains. I use pictures from old magazines in my art and I don't care what the cover looks like, there might still be useful pictures inside the magazine. When I have removed the pictures I want I don't keep the magazines. I once found a huge spider inside one of the magazines, that was worse than a few stains I wouldn't buy second clothes with stains. I always check the clothes carefully, because sometimes there are stains or small holes in the clothes.
Oh I abhor creepy crawlies especially when they are hiding in places like that or showers. Eek! Yes, those small holes make all the difference. I've had a small hole become a big problem a time or two. Made for some embarrassing moments.
@Porcospino (17873)
• Denmark
@ScribbledAdNauseum I feel the same way about spiders .I got a shock when that spider crawled out of the magazine. It was the biggest spider I have ever seen I bought the magazines from a woman and I think she kept them outside in her shed or something like that. Sometimes I have bought clothes with holes because I wasn't careful enough. I have found some nice second hand clothes, but I have also seen some very ugly things and things in bad condition. I was surprised to see that they sell used underwear as well,. I would never buy that.
@Porcospino Yes, definitely no to the used underwear. The thrift clothing shops around here even sell uniforms for the local grocery stores. That is to say, disgruntled ex employees give the tops to goodwill and they end up in their shops. I bought a top for a grocery store I worked at as a teen that way. I find that some people do not take care of their collectibles, atleast not in the same respect I would. Of course do not see magazines as collectibles, which I can understand. My grandmother used to collect Time Magazines. This was many years ago, and one time when I came to visit they were gone. I believe my brother (who lived with them) had a hand in that.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I buy books with stains. And on ebay if its from a seller I know and trust dvds with out cases
I might be more iffy about buying DVDs without cases online. If they have bought jewel cases for them (the cd cases) then I would buy it. Some send dvds through the mail in paper envelopes designed for them. It still doesn't offer a lot of protection.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@ScribbledAdNauseum I will only do it if its someone I have bought from before and had a good experience with.
@thislittlepennyearns Have you ever had a DVD come in the mail that you expected to have the original case for? I have. It was actually a CD - ROM game. It came in an envelope but the seller specified it had it's original case. It listed that it would work on one of the machines I have. It didn't and the seller was good enough to give me a full refund without having to send the item back. I guess it was cheaper for them to cut their losses.
I won't buy a book stain or no stain unless it's new. I am sure no one will understand why. But when I see a book or magazine I think of the person's hands while turning that page. I am talking about the person who had it prior to me. I have a love for the library. I always want to go read but as I got older the issues got worse. I sit home and I get up get wipe and clean off the key board. Another fe mins I wipe the bathroom floor. Then I go clean the toilet and sink. Mind you only me is here. I clean the other toilet and mind you no one used it but me.I touch the front door I wash the handle and knob. I take out the trash I wash my hand. Go to the store and return wash my hands.Well, just imagine if someone gave me a box of books. Lol. I recently purchased a book a mylotter wrote. It's on my kitchen counter already addressed to ship to another mylotter. I can't read it. I am trying to get another medication. so no way would I have taken that book.
I can understand that. If I touch the mail I have to go wash my hands. If someone asks me t put lotion on their back, I have to go wash my hands. I had someone here who never understood that and thought it was me insulting them. I just feel unclean unless I do those things. There is always audible or getting the kindle app and finding free books to read. You can adjust the size of the text that way and, like I said, you can find free books as well.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I have an ipad but I am not able to get comfy to hold it. I wanted a kindle but that would be the same.
@sharon6345 You can get the kindle app on your laptop. I have a tablet that has it's own case. The case has a piece that comes out like a picture frame stand.
Interesting Finds Updated Daily Amazon Try Prime Kindle Store Select the department you want to search in All Departments Alexa Skills Amazon Devices Amazon Warehouse Appliances Apps & Games Arts, Crafts & Sewing Automotive Parts & Accessories Baby Beauty
It depends. I accept many things in second hand books that I would not accept in a new book.
You bring up a good point. I would be less likely to buy a book with a stain on it if the book was a newer one. I might consider it if it was something I really wanted to read, but only if it was legible and able to be read. I've received books through the mail that has had stains on pages that I wouldn't have bought had I known about. That's only happened to me a time or two.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I would buy a book with a stain on it. I very likely have more than once. I'm not sure about anything else. I might if I thought it could be washed off.
Vinegar, Baking Soda and Club Soda are a girl's best friend when it comes to stains. Though I've heard coca-cola gets stains out of things like porcelain. I do still drink the stuff but very rarely now. That stuff can wash pennies clean there's no telling what it does to the inside of our stomachs.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@ScribbledAdNauseum Right, if you put a piece of meat in a carbonated drink and leave it overnight it will devolve the meat.
@RubyHawk I had no idea but I can see where it would do that. I'll stick with water, herbal tea and the occasional sweet tea.
• Peoria, Arizona
I buy things with stains on them as long as they are not too gross. I have plenty of clothes with stains from clothing stores and rips and snags from thrift stores. Makes them cheaper.
I don't like to get clothes that have stains on them. I buy from thrift stores or the discount rack at regular retailers all the time. If it's ripped, sure I might buy it as long as it's a fixable rip.
• Peoria, Arizona
@ScribbledAdNauseum I just feel like stains tell a story. As long as it isn't a nasty greasy stain. But like paint or even like maybe a juice stain or grass stains, just makes them interesting. But I'm also known as a grunge lover, so I guess that is why
@DesirousDreamer I had a friend that was a lot like that, and maybe still is. I haven't talked to her in many years but I do see her on facebook occasionally.
I don't think I would, but to be real, if it was an awesome deal, I very well might.
A nickel is an awesome, awesome deal. That is what gets me in trouble. "Oh but it's a great deal!"
@AmbiePam Actually I picked up one book recently because of that. The price I mean. It ended up being a better deal than I though tthough. 90 cents for a book that has three different novellas in it. I didn't realize that at first.
@vandana7 (64929)
I would buy clothes with stain on them if I liked them enough. You see, ten people would think I dirtied them. They wouldn't know I bought it like that. So it is pretty much "normal" thing. Even other things.
I don't think I could buy clothes with stains on them but that is just me. It might be a conversation piece, depending on the stain. If it was paint, people might ask "Oh, have you painted your house recently?"
@vandana7 (64929)
@ScribbledAdNauseum Ha ha..I once bought a saree that was in show case, which had holes because of incense sticks. It was on discount, and I had little money. I used it extensively even though it was not what I liked. LOL Yes, my aunt did say that I was too short for the design, but she did not notice the holes. People find any reason to talk. I am too thick skinned now. LOL
@vandana7 I haven't grown too thick a skin. I can let some things bounce off of me but other things still hurt.
If it's a used book, no problem. Chances are used dishes would have ingrown stains that don't come out, no problem. Clothes, no I wouldn't. I wouldn't by anything for children with stains on them.
I bought four plates from a friend of a friend once. It's an online friend so I gave them my address, paid through paypal and was able to get the plates. That was a big risk for me since I had no way of knowing if there were any stains not visible in the pictures they sent. I have several cups that I'd like to get rid of because they are grimy. They are clean, it's just soap scum I cant' seem to get rid of. I can't justify doing that though because there's nothing else wrong with them
@ScribbledAdNauseum It might be best, if you want to get rid of them, to just throw them out if you don't think anyone would buy them.
@just4him I am sure no one would, and I wouldn't feel right giving it to goodwill. I need to get in the kitchen and rearrange the cupboards where the glasses are. I did that with the food not too long ago and now it's time for me to do the same with the glasses.
@Jessabuma (28300)
• Baguio, Philippines
No for me, I would not buy items with stains..
Not even if it was a second hand (used) item and the stain could be easily removed?
@Jessabuma (28300)
• Baguio, Philippines
@ScribbledAdNauseum maybe I will buy if the stains can be removed.
@Jessabuma Of course, it's lucky we don't often come across things with stains.
I can deal with a used book stain . . . as long as it's not like a stain from big time water damage (I'm always afraid of the mold that could be there). I would buy most things with a dinky stain as long as I know I can wash all or most of it off (depending on what it is).
I hadn't thought about the mold but you are right. I have books that are moldy. They are in a box in my closet until I can sort through them and throw them out. Some are in good enough condition to sell. I don't think I've ever come across a book that had anything more than a food stain on it.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I have a bunch of books in a box in the garage . . . I suppose I should look through them too! Usually adult books are pretty good condition for the most part. But kids books can be a different story . . . stains, pen/crayon marks, folding, rips . . . some of those stains are who-knows-what it is!
@much2say Yes, exactly. Children are so carefree and clumsy. A few years ago I had the opportunity to look through some of my old childhood books. Crayon marks, tears, food stains galore.
@ridingbet (53022)
no, i would not at all. even if the stain can be removed.
I can understand that. There are plenty of people who are squeamish or just iffy about these things. For good reason, I guess. I tend to use my best judgment and I definitely will not buy anything if I think it's blood that is staining it.
@ridingbet (53022)
@ScribbledAdNauseum it would also mean that the dress is used by somebody? hahaha
@ridingbet If it has blood on it? Not necessarily. People cut themselves by accident and blood gets from their fingers to an item.
@mnglsp (1247)
For me, it's okay to buy books with stains. I love reading those books that smells like an old paper or something. I sometimes buy books on book sales and most of them have stains. When it comes to eyeglasses, mirrors, clothes I don't want to buy if it has stains on them.
I love the smell of old books as well. I have a wax melt that smells like old books and I absolutely love the smell. I don't use it that often because the seller went out of business. I am going to try to find out what they used so I can make my own. I might buy a mirror if it has a stain. You can sometimes get stains on glass off with acetone.
@mnglsp (1247)
@ScribbledAdNauseum Waaaah I'll try that sometimes.
@mnglsp It depends on the stain of course. If it's a paint then acetone should work just fine.
I certainly would not buy clothes with stains but I have bought books with small stains. Nothing else though.
I have an acquaintance that used to be a close friend. She sells clothes that sometimes have stains on them. She has given me a few such items.
@ScribbledAdNauseum nope that doesn't work then you have to find a way to clean the clothes.
@RasmaSandra For the most part, I doubt the stains can be removed. If they didn't come out in the wash and were able to further set in, they are there for good.
I would buy antiques. No fabrics.
Definitely no antique fabrics, that's for sure. Okay, well, maybe? I don't know, I am of two minds on that. I do know that antiquated fabrics are more brittle, prone to tearing and are generally stained by age and the sun. Those would be a risk to buy because the value in them is hard to determine. I would LOVE, absolutely LOVE to have an antique desk. The secretary desk type is what I refer to.
@ScribbledAdNauseum no not fabric, but like tbles and desks and such.
we don't get used things.. didn't see the stain in the picture til after reading the whole post and looking again.
It's not easy to see at first glance. I was raised on "used items". Hand me downs and all. I guess I like to go for those before the new stuff.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I had gotten some second hand clothes from a childhood friend, because they were name brands; but mostly always had new - though cheap, from Walmart. we had little money, but never had used items - well besides a big freezer that was my grandparents. - just didn't buy them.
Depends on where I buy it from. I have bought used books at the Salvation Army. But not clothes with stains.
I used to go to the salvation army to get books. This was when I was living in a different county. They had so many books at such great deals. I now go to another thrift store to get mine. I had a friend who would sell her clothes with stains on them. Stains that couldn't be gotten out.
@JESSY3236 (6505)
I did buy a square pillow one time from Kohls and after I got home I noticed a black mark on it. It's ok though because I was using it as a workout pillow and Lily has been using it to lay on. I would mind stains on books just as long as there are no missing pages.
Oh well atleast you didn't have to go to the trouble of taking the pillow back and getting replaced.