Hot Child in the City

Daytona Beach, Florida
Today's temps in the high 80s kept me inside listening to some music and working on my laptop. I was reminded of this song from the 1970s when I still lived in New York City. This is a song by English-Canadian musician Nick Gilder. It was released as a single in June 1978 from his album City Nights. It rose up on the charts to number one in both the U.S. and Canada. The song went on to become a platinum record. The tune was catchy and the song likable but it also had a serious topic attached to it. Gilder actually wrote "Hot Child in the City" about his experiences witnessing child prostitution. He would see young girls walking down Hollywood Boulevard. Therefore he chose to create a pop song that appeared innocent but was actually written as if from the perspective of a lecher. How many of you know this song? Did you know its true meaning?
@bunnybon7 (37156)
• Holiday, Florida
yes i remember my oldest going around with her girlfriends singing it and i liked the song but i would tell her no we are moving to the country (and we was) so get it out of your head. lol. you are going to be cold child in the country. which always annoyed her. now i see in your profile you did move here to this God awful Florida
• Redlands, California
@bunnybon7 Not so bad for me for now. I get to warm my bones coming from northern Europe. Back there in Riga, it is another cool and rainy summer with degrees in the 60s. OK, that is not bad but I sure missed hot summers. Yes, it does get a bit too hot but I am not planning on living here the rest of my life. How far away are you from me in Daytona Beach?
@bunnybon7 (37156)
• Holiday, Florida
@RasmaSandra i am not sure. right now i am living in port richey near to a town called Holiday
Oh, I loved this song as a child, I did not know it was about this!
I remember this song but never really paid much attention to the words. Didn't realize it had an underlying message
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
I am familiar with this song but I will check the link you provided.
I didn't know about the meaning of the song, it does change the way I think of it.
I always thought it was about girls just having summer fun @BelleStarr
@crossbones27 (20779)
• Redlands, California
I am remembering it now. Took me a minute. I liked it because was pretty different. Not sure of the meaning when I listened to it. Thought could be interpreted a few different ways. Not sure it was ever my style of song, but liked it and liked it because a few friends like it. I think the answer you gave sounds right hearing the song again.
Perhaps they should have included it in the movie PrettyWoman just don't know what came first the song or the movie @crossbones27
@Spontaneo (1587)
I liked the song. I simply never knew the real meaning.
I do remember this song, but never paid attention to the lyrics. Wow!
I remember this song very well.
• Preston, England
such a strong story behind the lyrics
@thelme55 (14944)
Nice music. This is the first ime I heard this song.
I remember when this was a gig hit. The meaning would have flown by young ears.
That is a nice song that I remember.