13 Food Superstitions

Garlic and salt LadyDuck
Switzerland
As Friday 13th, is approaching, I thought it could be interesting to share some superstitions. The following are all superstitions about food. 1 - spilling salt on the table brings bad luck. As a remedy, throw salt over your left shoulder with your right hand. 2 - do not offer a hot pepper to a friend, this will bring discord into your friendship. 3 - when you serve tea, never pour milk before sugar, or you will never get married. 4 - do not offer a knife as a gift, this gesture symbolize "cutting ties". 5 - a large bubble in a bread loaf announce that someone you know will die. 6 - garlic not only protect from vampires but also from the curse of an evil eye. 7 - long noodles represent long life. Do not cut noodles short. 8 - if you go fishing, do not bring bananas on a fishing boat or you will fish nothing. 9 - do not turn the bread upside down on the table, this is considered a rude gesture. 10 - two yolks in the same eggs, means that someone you know will have twins. 11 - If you want to avoid rain, bury Bourbon on the wedding site. 12 - catch the bubbles floating on the top of your coffee to earn more money. 13 - offer an orange to someone, if you want that he/she fells in love with you. Do you know food superstitions to share?
@Icydoll (23589)
Keeping lemon under pillow can save one from devils lol
This is something I did not know, thanks for sharing.
@Icydoll (23589)
@LadyDuck yes ,some blindly believe In that Anna
@shshiju (10571)
• Cochin, India
Do you know that some motorists like to hang lemon in front of their vehicle. And dealers supply their vehicles after rolling the front Tyre on a lemon.
I think I have only heard the ones you shared and some of those are new to me also. So silly! Lol.
Sometimes it is curious to know how superstitions started. For some is known, for others nobody knows.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I agree. You wonder what happened to cause people to believe these things are true.
@DeborahDiane May be in the past they were very good in making people believe old tales.
@responsiveme (16835)
I know the no 1, for no 2 it's chillies ,did you mean that type of pepper...So we give a little bit of sugar too if we are distributing chillies among friends. On the other hand when we give some cooked food at night,we include a chilli to ward off the ghosts who may want to taste the food.... Well I don't really do that but know lots who do
Yes, I mean chillies. Interesting to know about the sugar. I did not know about the chilli with the cooked food, this is also interesting. I try not to be superstitious, incredibly my young niece believes in some.
@LadyDuck I meant if we give cooked food to neighbours or friends which is carried outside the house after sun sets, I was not clear earlier. If I see the person is superstitious then I do add a chilli with the stuff they will carry away. By myself not superstitious as such....Maybe a bit Like not cutting hair or nails on Thursday...Hu by is not at all superstitous
@responsiveme I also try not to do things that could upset superstitious people. My niece is a bit superstitious, I would never make a toast with a glass of water.
@ridingbet (57900)
i saw Rachel Ward throwing some salt with her right hand over her left shoulder. i sometimes do that. also when a pregnant woman eats banana twins (2 in 1) she will have twins. garlic we know protects us from evil entities, and it can also be used to control toothache. and of course, noodles means long life.
It is the same for spaghetti in Italy, this is why Italians never cut spaghetti.
@ridingbet (57900)
@LadyDuck yes, and when a tray of spaghetti is prepared by my sister, we use our fork to twirl the pasta, the usual way of spaghetti eating.
@ridingbet All Italians twirl the spaghetti for eating, there is not another way to go.
You seem to have covered most of them. I will start doing No. 12.
I thought to prepare iced coffee, this should form bubbles on the top.
@LadyDuck Oh yes - hot won't do it.
@Kandae11 I think that even rich people would never say no to a little more money.
@alberello75 (18442)
• Genova, Italy
To be honest, those of you listed, I only knew #1. My grandmother had indeed this superstitious ritual. But #9 (more or less) My grandfather used to say that "every bit of bread, represents a drop of sweat from your father" Others on food, others I do not know. But the classics like: do not pass under the stairs, or the hat on the bed, well I believe we all know already!
The umbrella opened inside the house, getting out of your bed with the left foot, eating keeping the spoon with the left hand... there are so many.
@alberello75 (18442)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck Exactly. You see. However, I am very skeptical of such "superstitious" rituals. It was once said, the number 13 were lucky (former totocalcio, now set at 14). Then No! It seems to me, Religion said 13 not good. I grew up when the unlucky number, it was 17!
@alberello75 In Italy the number 13 is still considered lucky and the 17 unlucky. If you studied Latin you should know about the 17. If you right it in Roman numeral 17 becomes XVII. If you change it anagrammatically to VIXI (vixi), in Latin translates to "I lived", that means "My life is over."
Throwing a pomegranate to the ground on New Year's Eve brings good luck. The amount of luck depends upon how wide the pomegranate pops open when thrown to the ground. The wider it opens, the more luck the person will have in the following year.
We eat pomegranate seeds on New Year's Eve for good luck, I never heard about throwing it on the ground. Interesting.
@LadyDuck I think I am going to smash one really hard for good luck this New Year's Eve.
@Corbin5 I am collecting the small pomegranates on my little tree and smash all of them.
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
I don't think I've ever had a bad Friday13th and the only food superstition I can think of that you haven't listed is grapes for a sweet or sour life. I eat a lot but I can't think my life has been particularly sweet or sour, a bit of both sometimes.
Grapes at New Year's eve is considered lucky as t brings money.
@sprite1950 Everything small and round is good, pomegranate, raisins, beans...
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
@LadyDuck I like all that. There is very little that I won't eat although I can't stand sauerkraut
@DeborahDiane (23118)
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I think you listed all the food superstitions I can think of. I'll have to remember that one about the orange!
I learnt about that one about the orange only a few years ago. There are many (really many) superstitions about apples and apple seeds. I think that the first thing I offered to my (now) husband was a slice of apple pie that I had made.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I think apple pie is a wonderful way to win the heart of any man. The first meal I made for my future husband was Escargo. However, I didn't rinse the snails well enough before I put them in the shells, so they were sandy and gritty when we bit into them! LOL
@DeborahDiane I would have not dared to make Escargots as first meal. I now know that my husband likes, but most people are disgusted.
@MarymargII (10421)
• Toronto, Ontario
Haha! Well I have heard of some of these but they are all very interesting and too funny. I must have turned that bread around a few times so maybe someone somewhere thinks I'm rude. Not too worried about it though!
I am not superstitious, but my grandmother was a bit. She got mad if I turned the bread on the table, so I was very carefully not to do this.
@MarymargII (10421)
• Toronto, Ontario
@LadyDuck Well that's a new one on me but many others I have heard before but not the orange, hot pepper and bubbles in the coffee!
@MarymargII I did not know either about "bubbles in the coffee", may be because in Italy we make espresso coffee and this kind of coffee has no bubbles on top.
The only one I ever heard here is the first one. I am so thankful for that.
The one of the salt, I think it is one of the most common, it's so ancient.
@LadyDuck Yes, I am sure about that as well.
@sharon6345 I have read that this is know by many people around the world.
@arunima25 (6726)
• Bangalore, India
Very interesting ones!! Thanks for sharing. In our culture, we don't give chillies in hand as it brings discord in relationship.
This is interesting. In Italy we never form a cross on the dish with fork and knife, this is considered bad luck, as it reminds crucifixion.
@arunima25 (6726)
• Bangalore, India
@LadyDuck In our culture licking fingers after meal is supposed to invite poverty.
@arunima25 This is something considered so rude that nobody does.
@dodoazo (21035)
Yes we have some of them. One I remember is that the pregnant woman won't eat twin babana for she will give birth to a twin.
We have most of these and many more, but I am not superstitious.
@dodoazo (21035)
@LadyDuck me too though our culture is rich with such traditional superstitions on varoius subjects or situations.
@dodoazo I have known very superstitious people, their life becomes a nightmare.
@Shellyann36 (11278)
I have never heard of any of these. They are very interesting though. Thank you for sharing. I did know that salt over the shoulder was supposed to bring good luck or something of the sort, now I see it is meant to stop bad luck.
The salt over the shoulder does not bring good luck, but it is to prevent the "bad luck" caused by the spilling of the salt (that was a very expensive good in the ancient times).
@Shellyann36 (11278)
@LadyDuck Oh, I did not know that was what it was for. Thank you for clearing that up.
@Shellyann36 The ancient Roman soldiers were paid with salt, from this the term "salary" because of the payment in salt.
@cintol (7664)
Wow, I haven't heard of many of these superstitions before, good to know !
It has been an interesting research, I knew many but not all.
@cintol (7664)
@LadyDuck Well you did a good job on searching them out!
@cintol Those are little things that I like to research, I am curious.
@aureliah (17990)
• Kenya
Hahaha I like the one for never getting married and the fishing one. I stopped cutting my noodles shot and guess that I'mma have my cup of coffee and catch the floating bubbles.
I have to see how can I make bubbles on the coffee, Italian espresso does not have bubbles.
@aureliah (17990)
• Kenya
@LadyDuck Its an art that you have to learn
@aureliah If I make an ice coffee shakerato I can make the bubbles, but I prefer the espresso.
@Lucky15 (33718)
1 and 7. and with two yolks, i just have two eggs with two yolks last week, now am thinking, who is pregnant now?
Start to look around, I hope the "lucky" parents will be happy with twins.
@Lucky15 (33718)
@LadyDuck my sister in law just gave birth to a boy. but i know one neighbor that is pregnant, haha
@Lucky15 May be she is going to have twins.
@theBlock (2696)
@LadyDuck What! Cool! I'm gonna get me a truck load of oranges, baby!
I only knew recently about this one, damn!
@theBlock (2696)
@LadyDuck Too slow, girl-----outta my way!
Wow very interesting! I have never heard of any of those superstitions or know of any food ones.
I thought that you would have known at least the one about the noodles.
@LadyDuck Nope! I did break noodles earlier this month to fit in the pot :P
@infatuatedbby I wonder what your future mother-in-law would thing about this.
I would drink an entire bottle of Bourbon before I’d bury it, and it’s not my favorite either!
I can do the same Dianne, even if Bourbon is not my favorite. TWINS
@LadyDuck We truly are twins in so many ways! Cheers to you with a martini!
@DianneN I am reading your comment only now at 7:30 AM, but I had a Martini yesterday evening. Cheers to you Dianne.