If...

By pgn
@pgntwo (21929)
Derry, Northern Ireland
Today's pause for thought, brought to you by Rudyard Kipling, narrated by Des Lynam in 1988... Just close your eyes and listen, for a couple of minutes:
British Nobel laureate Rudyard Kipling's famous poem 'If-' set to Faure's Pavane, Op. 40, narrated by Des Lynam. Originally the end credits to the BBC's 1998...
Well that was different. I tried to listen to the whole thing but like Maluse I found the music to be too loud for the reading being done. But I do think I got the gist of it. Did you take that photograph? It's stunning.
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
No, the photo is off Pixabay - I like it, it's a US national park, I believe. The link to the poem was not the original that I had intended: Check out @BBCWorldTonight’s Tweet:
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Firefox. Learn more here BBC R4 World Tonight @BBCWorldTonight Feeling heartbroken about England being knocked out of #WorldCup2018? For Radio 4's @BBCWorldTonight, commentato
I'll give it a listen @pgntwo You have pretty good taste
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@rebelann Here it is - Burns State Park?
Pity that there is this music. Who needs it? I don't. It's too loud for the text. If I turn it down, the text is too low. If I can understand the text well, the music blows my ears off. :-(
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
The version I wanted to put up was narrated by Barry Davies, but I cannot find a version that is not linked to Twitter. This version, read by Julian Rhind-Tutt, has no music... Sorry about the, ears :(
Listen to Julian Rhind-Tutt reading 'If' by Rudyard Kipling
It would be wonderful without this disturbing loud music.
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
This one is much easier to understand, so long as twitter does not get in the way.
@pgntwo Thanks for the link. This one is a lot better.
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@LadyDuck It is the one I intended to post, but I could not separate the video from the tweet. I know it can be done, but dragging out the laptop to search through the HTML Code for the link to it was too much like hard work...
@xFiacre (4787)
@pgntwo If I can keep my head while Flybe faf about getting this plane at Manchester off the ground and headed to Belfast I’ll be a very happy man indeed.
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Anything like last night, you'll be spending a few hours at the airport this side when you land... Hope you're en-route now at least!
@xFiacre (4787)
@pgntwo Just went to Manchester this morning before the Orange Men were up, admiring the plumes of smoke rising from the embers last night’s fiires in East Belfast as I lifted up over them. Got back at 7.30 and drove out of airport right into the men marching home. I live very near "the field" and can’t be having the boom boom boom all day so went into exile. Now my hedge has been well watered with orange pee.
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@xFiacre Glad you made it back OK. It has been a bit dry of late, the sprinkling on your hedge probably could have been dealt with under the hosepipe ban, had you felt so inclined...
@1hopefulman (31606)
Lots of interesting thoughts. I enjoyed listening to it. Thanks!
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
This version is a lot better:.
@1hopefulman (31606)
@pgntwo Thanks!
@DaddyEvil (25738)
• Aurora, Missouri
Hmmm... very interesting... It would be something to strive for... Not sure many men could do it.
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Gotta have a target... Aim for the stars, get the moon...
@DaddyEvil (25738)
• Aurora, Missouri
@pgntwo True enough...
I have always liked this poem. Thanks for the other link. I do prefer to read it slowly though, as I feel it is a poem to think and ponder on each verse.
@pgntwo (21929)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Poetry is best enjoyed at ease... something I and most of the English teachers I had at school disagreed over.
• Preston, England
I did a review of the poem recently on here
I love Kipling's works. So many wonderful words of advice in If.