Sainte-Genevieve Library

Daytona Beach, Florida
The Sainte Genevieve Library is located in the Place du Pantheon in Paris, France. It was designed by Henri Labrouste in 1943. The library building was the first public building to have an exposed structural iron frame. Making use of a combination of wrought iron and cast iron offered a visual lightness and natural illumination. The library inherited the collection of books and documents of the former Abby de Sainte-Genevieve. There are manuscripts of theology and the arts and sciences. The library was officially opened on February 4, 1851. It is a two-story rectangular building. The ground floor has library stacks and a rare book storage that flank a central foyer. Stairs lead up to a vast reading room that occupies the entire upper story. The airy space is lit by forty-six huge high-level windows, nineteen on each long side and four at each end. Across its width, the library is divided by a central spine of elegantly slender cast-iron Ionic columns that stand on short piers. These are braced longitudinally with filigree arches and support decorative openwork cast-iron round arches. The Sainte-Genevieve Library, encyclopedia, inter-university and public, heir collections of the ancient Abbey of Sainte-Genevieve encompass between 1.5 and 2 million documents in fields of knowledge such as philosophy, psychology, religion, social sciences, pure and applied sciences, linguistics, art, literature, geography, and history. The main holdings known as General Fund consists of two specialized funds – reserve for old documents which are rare and valuable and Nordic Library for the Fenno-Scandinavian languages and cultures. The library is accessible to the public. I think most likely I could spend days in this library.
I could live there!
Or go every day and just read and enjoy @andriaperry I wonder if they have WiFi
@august18 (4024)
• Tunisia
This is really beautiful.
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
Wow! It's pretty big and beautiful! I love it!
I am hoping you are enjoying your day. I am just dropping in to say hello. I am not a traveler however,it would be nice one day to do it.
Hope you'll have a wonderful weekend @sharon6345
@RasmaSandra Thank you I am having the best Friday I can.
Very beautiful and, huge library.
A beautiful building.