Have you ever been a Boy/Girl Scout?

@sol_cee (15899)
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
My son, a third grader, is an active Boy Scout member in his school. They recently joined a choir competition and they won the first level. Yey! Scouting (boys and girls) is big in my country. Students are encouraged to join as they receive points in class for extra-curricular activities. Schools organize events such as camping, jamborees, and inter school competitions which help develop many useful skills. At the end of the school year, active Boy/Girl scouts get medals and certificates for commendation. However being a Boy/Girl scout needs money. Scouting uniforms are not cheap. Boy/Girl scouts are required to change uniforms many times (for example Grade 1-3, Grade 4-6, junior high, etc.) and some parents can’t afford the exorbitant fees. Camping fees cost too much too. When I was young, I wanted to join the backyard camping held in our school but I didn’t have the uniform and my parents couldn’t afford the camping fee. Fortunately, a neighbor let me borrow her daughter's old uniform. And my teacher shouldered the expenses. So kind of them. Anyway, how is scouting life in your country?
When I was a young girl in Italy we had no boys scouts and girls scouts there. We wore school uniforms that were quite expensive (we also had to buy shoes and sockets to go with the uniform).
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
How about now? I just knew that there’s no scouting in China. What about in Italy and Switzerland?
@sunrisefan (18529)
@sol_cee But you know that there are insects in China, Madam :)
@sol_cee To be honest I have no idea, we have no kids or grandkids.
@sunrisefan (18529)
Congratulations to your boy scout!
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Thank you. How about you? Were you active in scouting when you were a student?
@sunrisefan (18529)
@sol_cee We did not have much activity then as Cub Scout and Boy Scout. I guess it was probably for compliance with DepEd requirement? Our school was more focused on academics though we joined in sports competitions in the diocesan association of schools and, in fact, our school's basketball team was always the team every school kept an eye on.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@sunrisefan were you a member of the basketball team?
@JustBhem (39379)
• Davao, Philippines
I remember during my elementary days, I used to be active in joining school activities such us joining Drum and Bugle core and being one of the majorettes, I joined practices and end up not joining the contest because Mother didn't approve of me joining the event. Then I joined Choir where I was one of the Soprano 2 and end up again not joining the contest because Mother spends the money for my uniform. I tried joining Girl Scout too, Father gave me money to buy a uniform but Mother refused it instead had me borrowed my cousin's old girl scout uniform. It was faded and the buttons are gone missing.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Wow you’re a majorette!
@JustBhem (39379)
• Davao, Philippines
@sol_cee I was, I really like to "kiay-kiay" (dancing), have you seen me dance? I think father like my dancing way back college days.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@JustBhem I’ve never seen you dance Bhem. I didn’t know you’re quite a dancer.
@cttolledo (4855)
Very memorable. Since I am very competitive kid , I'd make sure that Im part of all contests during scouting event.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Wow! Did you have many badges?
@cttolledo (4855)
@sol_cee Not that much hahaha, not winner all the time
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@cttolledo oh, are merit badges only for winners?
@AKRao24 (19762)
I was not a scout during my school days as we had other options! But I know in Indian schools this activity is very popular in many schools and students like to participate in it ! Here the Boys are known as Scouts and the girls are known as Guides! Thanks!
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
So they have different names. What option did you choose?
@AKRao24 (19762)
@sol_cee , I opted for Civil Defense, we had NCC, Road Traffic Control , Work experience as other options!
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@AKRao24 lots of options then. RTC sounds cool. Like directing traffic in a command center? Hehe
The only time I was a Girl Scout and for a short time was when I lived in the US while I was a child. I never had the uniform and I never thought that maybe it wasn´t something my parents would want or could pay.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
When I was a student, we didn’t have to change uniforms every other year so I could use the borrowed Girl Scout uniform for a long time. However, now they have different uniforms and scarves and so on for different grade levels. Too exhausting for the parents’ pockets.
@sol_cee I think that being a boy scout is now over rated.
@brokenbee (7905)
I was a girl scout in my elementary years. I loved camping. Hihihi I remember I was the Miss Girl Scout in grade 6...
@ridingbet (55876)
it is expected hija. you are a beautiful girl as seen in your pictures where you were cute and chubby.
@brokenbee (7905)
@ridingbet awww hihihi.. ate nga kita.. =)
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Long time no see, Queen Bee
@caopaopao (10942)
Sounds so good. There are no boy scouts in our country. But they also take part in various activities.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Oh, I didn’t know there’s no scouting in China. I thought it’s everywhere.
@caopaopao (10942)
@sol_cee So I am very happy to know the culture of many different countries here.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@caopaopao true. We know first hand information about everything. Hehe
@cintol (6882)
I was a girl scout many moons ago, but way back then it wasn't that expensive. My daughter was a girl scout for a short time and my son a boy scout. Their troops always did a lot of fund raisers, garage sales, etc to try and raise the money for camping and events that way the parents didn't have to come up with as much money
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Is scouting in the US more of a community activity? Or is it integrated in the school curriculum?
@cintol (6882)
@sol_cee No, its more community, any child can join
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@cintol I see. Makes sense.
I never belonged to girl scouts; My sister was a girl scout for many years. Now my nephew is a boy scout. I just found out recently that camp is not free. My nephew leaves for Boy Scout camp Sunday! Unfortunately supposed to rain Sunday-Wednesday. They have to sleep outdoors in a tent. He is already complaining about how hot it is supposed to be and no air conditioning. He doesn't know what it was like for his parent an me who grew up without AC!
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
It’ll be a totally new experience for him. Not having the comforts of ac on the camping site.
@sol_cee that is a good way to think of it. a lot of kids today are spoiled.
@banksim (2338)
during school days scout training was there
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Did you join the scout trainings?
@banksim (2338)
@vandana7 (66110)
I was a girl guide. No - it was not such a great thing as at your end.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Why Vanny-san?
They haven't done any Jamboree yet? good luck to your son. I've been a boys scout and flag bearer too.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
What’s a flag bearer?
@deba12 (1997)
I also used to actively participate in various school programs. It was such a fun. I miss those days badly.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
We can always have throwbacks. Hehe
@chavezrmc (5737)
It was a lot of fun. Here we can learn a lot of things. Be prepared at all times. Activities are lined-up for children to enjoy and learn. Friendship also develops and most importantly we are learning to be responsible be ready at all times. We have this motto. Girl/Boy Scouts always ready.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I remember memorizing the Girl Scout promise. We competed in inter school contests and we could meet other scouts from different ciities in the country. Yeah, it was fun.
I was a Cub Scout when young.
@Kasjnak (1043)
When I was in school there were no boy scouts or girl scouts, we were a comunist country. There were some other forms similar to the scouts, but mainly for brainwashing and propaganda . Well, that was 30 years ago. We have scouts here now, my son will be one of them several years from now .
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I had to go to your profile to check which country you’re from but there isn’t any info. Anyway, glad that the system is different in your country now and your son can enjoy how fun scouting is.
@Kasjnak (1043)
@sol_cee guess I should check my profile. I'm from Romania, comunist country until the revolution of december 1989. I'm glad too, I hope my son will enjoy a beautiful life .
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@Kasjnak glad to meet someone from Romania. :)
I have been an active Girl Scout back in my elementary days!
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
What about high school?
@sol_cee There is no girl scout here in my school.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@brokekid0212 strange. What do you have instead?
@ridingbet (55876)
i was a star scout during my elementary years. i was even called in front of the quadrangle to recite the girl scout pledge which, until now, i can still memorize it: "on my honor, i will try to do my duty, to God and my country, to help other people at all times, and to obey the Girl Scout law". vivid remote memory.
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I think it’s almost the same apart from some minor changes. Nobody can beat your retentive memory doc. Hehe
@ridingbet (55876)
@sol_cee some things are meant to be remembered forever. nyahaha. but i want to forget the father of my son... who???
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@ridingbet who?? Why?? When?? Where?!
@Fliafaith (684)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I loved scouting
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Me too! I learned how to cook eggs minus the pan. Hehe
• Nairobi, Kenya
@sol_cee I learned how to start a fire a fire without a matchbox
@sol_cee (15899)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@Fliafaith oh yeah, that too! Too time consuming though. Hehe