I'm in love with za'atar seasoning

I never would have known about it except for the fact that a recipe called for it. The local grocery store didn't have it so Amazon to the rescue. The "smoky eggplant dip" frankly tasted like crap. . . until I sprinkled the za'atar seasoning over it. Then it suddenly became delicious and lovely. As with all seasoning blends, I imagine the exact formulation changes depending on where you get it from. Mine is from Teeny Tiny Spice Company and contains: sumac berries, marjoram, thyme, basil, oregano, white sesame seeds, and Himalayan pink salt. This is a delightful blend of herbs and it will be great for making rubs and marinades for meats, chicken, or even fish. It also works well, as the recipe calls for, as a sprinkle on top of hummus or baba ganoush. I look forward to experimenting with it more!
I hope you enjoy it on all you cook. What is the difference between a marinade and a rub on meat? It sounds like they would both be the same? I may use one of those methods as i plan on eventually making a roast in the crockpot. Not sure what as i must look for a recipe first do you like rubs or marinades better?
Rubs are just dry seasonings that you, well, rub onto meat. Take them and apply them (sparingly) straight onto the meat. Marinades are wet mixtures that you submerge meats in. They have the same purpose--to get flavor into the protein. Just different ways of doing it.
For doing a roast, you would put a rub on it.
@NJChicaa thanks! I will be trying it. I am just not sure when
never heard of this one.Good morning.How are things there.
I hadn't either until I came across the recipe that required it. It is common in the middle East I think.
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
I am not aware of it.. it's my first time hearing about it
@Icydoll (25958)
That's sounds very good seasoning.