We are Moving to Florida

The taxes are so high here in our tiny state of Connecticut, and we pay through the nose. Today, we decided to become residents of Florida. To become a resident of Florida, we will have to spend a total of 6 months and 1 day there each year instead of the 4 months we usually do. I foresee many plane trips home, but with the money we will save in taxes to the state of Connecticut, it will be a drop in the bucket. I can’t believe my husband suggested it. He has never wanted to stay more than four months. Go figure! ~ Photo of the Ice Princess with pink dyed ends on her hair, just for camp ~
Florida sounds like a nice place to live and, cute photo of the ice princess.
I certainly love it there and thanks!
@DianneN It looks good on her. So does that mean you will be taking Doodles with you also? That is very interesting that your husband suggested it. That is great and happy for you.
@Hannihar Thank you! She was so excited. No, Doodles. My son will keep him as he always does when we go to Florida, since Doodles is his cat, anyway. He's really not well enough to fly either. My husband has thought about if for a couple of years, but this year he finally made a decision thanks to our income taxes.
I wonder if you save more after the damage to houses with those storms. My family has been repairing so much after those horrible storms. I can't believe what I have seen after a few. I guess you have if figured out.
We have a condo that has survived every storm since it was built. If it falls in the water, we can return to CT and pay high taxes again. Lol!
@sharon6345 We were there all last winter after the horrible hurricanes. I think we will go to Florida in November and return in May.
@DianneN That is great I want to go in Dec that is when I love it the most.
Makes sense if the taxes are too high in Ct. Since you already spend time in Florida I bet you'll love living there full time. Your Ice Princess looks so cute an happy with her pink ends
Since we are there for 4 months every year anyway, another two won't kill us. I'm super thrilled. We will be home the other 6 months in CT. Thank you! The Ice Princess loved her new look!
@DianneN my aunt and uncle seem to be spending more time in Florida too so I wonder if they are planning to move there permanently
@Marilynda1225 Florida is lovely for us older folks, but we'd never live there year round.
Is Florida, very far from Connecticut? Do you like to live there more than Florida, for any other reason ?
It's about 1500 miles away or 2 1/2 hours by jet. I love both places, but will miss the kids, grandkids, grand dogs, and kitties. We can fly home whenever we want, stay as long as we want, but must manage to stay in Florida for that 6 months and 1 day. It won't be too bad. It's just an extra two months from what we already do.
@DianneN So you mean, you will be keeping both houses?
@SIMPLYD Oh, definitely. Where would we live when we come home for 6 months?
I heard that it is nice to live in Florida. The weather is quite warm as compared to other US states.
We live in Florida during the winter for 4 months, but will bump it up two extra months. It's truly a tropical paradise compared to the winters where I live up in the northeastern part of the US.
@DianneN I have a friend who works as a designer in West Palm Beach, FL. I lost in contact with him. He was not using his old email address. I heard a lot of good things there.
@Shavkat Oh, that's a shame. I would have looked for him on your behalf. It's fabulous there. Truly!
@JustBhem (42968)
• Davao, Philippines
She is so pretty. I hope whatever is the best for you. As I know nothing about taxes in the US. Sorry to hear about this.
Oh, don't be sorry for us. We don't have to go to Florida. We choose to go to save thousands of dollars. Why give it to our state that does nothing much with the money? I love Florida and we can fly home anytime we want. Thank you. My ice princess had her hair blown out straight, too.
@JustBhem (42968)
• Davao, Philippines
@DianneN I see. Now it makes sense. And I like the color of her hair. She is pretty.
@JustBhem Thanks so much! We love her to the moon and back!
@cintol (7841)
That is great news for you, do you like the heat if Florida? Its got to be humid there with all the water. Sounds like you are keeping your house in Connecticut then huh. Good luck
Oh, I adore Florida! It's perfect in the winter months and rarely humid. We plan on going in mid November and returning in mid May this year. Next year after Thanksgiving to June, depending on how often we fly home. Oh, yes, we will definitely keep our home in CT. We have many friends who live there permanently and my brother and his wife and another sis-in-law have condos in our little complex and come down for the season, too.
@cintol (7841)
@DianneN Oh, well those months wouldn't be so bad then, I know a few people who live in warmer states for winter and go home in summers. Your gonna love it then, nice that you will have that option and still be in both places.
@cintol Thank you. We've been going back and forth from December to April since we bought the condo in 2013. This will be our 6th season, which I can't believe! As much as my husband complains, he does love it there.
You guys can go down earlier in the fall and avoid more of the cold weather.
@DianneN I'm very happy for you. Fall in CT is gorgeous but you'll still have some of that.
@NJChicaa We will probably leave in mid November when the leaves will be long gone, since my hubs made a dentist appointment today. I had to tell the receptionist to make the appointment earlier.
@DianneN You are brave. If I had a condo in Florida, I'd be out by Halloween.
@ridingbet (59536)
i think that is a good suggestion; at least you are still living in the same USA and not in a foreign land.
As much as we love traveling to foreign lands, we would never live outside of the US, although Trump may change that. LOL! Grrrr!
@ridingbet (59536)
@DianneN yes, i believe this president of yours really want to make America a pure white country. i often read posts on Facebook about how some whites discriminate people from other countries, and they are really so impertinent (sorry for the word).
@ridingbet Yes, it's a very bad time with him as our President. Grrrrr
Now, that is a great idea. Taxes are high in our state of Illinois too.
My husband, who only gave me 4 months and not a day more in Florida, had a change of heart during tax season. Yay!
@DianneN Tax season will do that to a fellow!!! My husband did our taxes, he always has, but his fine work resulted in us paying too much. The IRS sent 1/2 back to us. Now, if he can just repeat that next year.
@Corbin5 We can remain in CT if your husband promises to be our accountant from now on! Awesome and so kind of the IRS!
@nela13 (8405)
• Portugal
It is a wise decision if you Can save thousands of dollars. Your dranddaughter looks even more beautiful with her new hair
Thank you so much! I replied a while ago, but somehow deleted it. I'm such a !!!!
@nela13 (8405)
• Portugal
@DianneN no problem, it has happen to me too
@nela13 Misery loves company. Thanks!
@iridion9 (10176)
On the photo. IIs that your daughter too?
@KristenH (24946)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I think that's her grand-daughter aka The Ice Princess.
That's our granddaughter.
@KristenH Lol! Thanks Kristen.
That's good that you will be saving money and happier. =)
You know how much I love Florida!!!!! I may even have time to drive up to Jacksonville!
@DianneN We would love for y'all to visit!! =)
@LovingMyBabies I would love to meet you and the kids! We'd have a ball!!!!
We had the same rule to be Monte-Carlo residents (no taxes there), we had to stay 6 months and 1 day. It was hard in the beginning, when we still had the apartment in Italy, but we finally decided to move there and forget about Italy.
It shouldn't be hard on us, since we are used to spending 4 months there. Another two will mean more fun and money. . We won't be selling our house, especially since my son is moving into his house 2 miles from us. It would be a slap in the face to him.
@DianneN You keep your house and you will spend there 6 months less one day, it is a good arrangement. In the beginning we did the same, we had our apartment in Milan and our apartment in Monte-Carlo.
@Kasjnak (2044)
Didn't know there are big differences in taxes. I know each state has it's own approach, but if you're willing to do that it means the taxes are really high. Well, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to go from 4 months to 6 months. I hope so . Hopefully it will work out for the better .
Thanks so much. Our state is nuts with the income taxes, so it will be a boon to save lots of money while enjoying that beautiful Florida weather during the winter.
@Kasjnak (2044)
@DianneN I would do the same if I were you . Yup, I'm sure you'll have fun and you'll be relaxed, no worries . When you spot a winning situation go for it!
@Kasjnak Thank you!
@sallypup (28564)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You've been to Florida often enough. You might as well live there. Taxes never go away.
6 months and 1 day in Florida without our horrible state taxes is very doable. That's all it takes.
@sallypup (28564)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DianneN Taxes are something to consider for sure. Oregon house taxes were pretty high and made us think about whether we wanted to move there. Then people started having holy wars over house prices and we got out of it and headed back to Washington.
@sallypup That's very wise of you. Here, we still have to pay property taxes for cars and our house. My poor son's new house will cost him a fortune in taxes, but I'm so happy he will be 2 miles from us - when we are in CT. Lol!
@rakski (22093)
Maybe he have come to his senses with a huge savings you can get from the taxes
Oh, he definitely has come to his senses. It's about time, too! In addition, I love it there.
@rakski (22093)
@DianneN oh yes, the sun, the sea
@rakski YES! YES!
I think both are in America so why different citizenship?
They are in the United States, so there won't be different citizenship, just less income taxes. Each state handles taxes differently here.
@DianneN Income taxes take all the hard earned money.. We have higher taxes in India
@anamika161088 I hear ya!
Shifting permanently comes with a bundle of mixed feelings. We did that. We had packers who packed and unpacked for us. I just had to tell them which item goes where. It was indeed a sad day when we had to spend a night in our empty home back there before leaving. It was sad to leave behind so many situations that we would never get a repeat of but looking at what was in store we left with enthusiasm. Will you be folding your present premises for good? I mean sell it off?
I know exactly how you felt, because we have moved several times, too. However, we will keep our house. We will only live in Florida for 6 months and 1 day to meet the requirements, and will return to our house up here for 6 months minus a day. Give or take. We shall fly back and forth to see the kids and my precious Doodles!!!!!
@DianneN I understand. Your Connecticut home will be your summer residence. Glad you are leaving Doodles behind Who will take care of him?
@allknowing Thanks, Grace. My son will keep Doodles. Doodles is his cat, but hopefully, he will let us have him when we return. There won't be any cat problems anymore, since his wife's parents are keeping her male cat. They love him, and he is a great companion to her other two cats. No more musical cats necessary.
Ah, what a surprise, but it's a smart move! If it's going to save you guys significantly, then why not. Well half a year to spend equal time at both places is pretty neat - we know how much you love FL too. So does this mean you will go there earlier, or stay later (or a little of both!)? The Ice Princess is too cute . . . her hair looks so feather soft here too!
Yes, we will go earlier and stay later, which is a good thing for me. It's too cold here in early December and April. I do not like the cold. For every trip home, we will have to make it up in Florida. I'm not complaining. She had her hair blown out in the photo. Otherwise, it's a mass of curls. Thank you and hugs!
@DianneN Well it's nice you will get the best of both worlds - even though you had it anyway - but now you'll get a little more sunshine. So when you say "move", is that more of a paper thing and you'll be keeping things pretty much the way they are . . . that'd be a whole lot easier than actually physically having to "move".
@much2say Oh, we will just be residents of Florida, but still live in CT the rest of the year in our house. There will be paperwork, unfortunately.