My eventful Friday, a SUPER day where I have never felt so free!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I decided i adore taking the bus and plan on getting out a lot more. If i take the bus, it is only $1.25 each way. With Uber much more expensive, and i never felt my freedom from taking them. Also, the biggest reason is to walk up all the hills from the bus stop so that i can get some exercise almost daily On Wednesday my beloved case manager, Susan and i took a drive and figured out where all the bus stops are. On Friday, my sister said it was such a beautiful day I should go to lunch to get out. I took the bus to Burger King, and around there I walked to the Dollar Tree and went grocery shopping at Giant Eagle! i bought an extra whopper and oreo cheesecake to take home that i had for dinner! It was so nice going that way! i will be doing my grocery shopping and going places almost daily I was planning to start yesterday. I won't be able to go Saturdays and Sundays as the bus does not come to my stop on Saturday and there are no rides ar all on Sundays. Do you take the bus? have you ever felt as free as i do now? I am so excited to know i have so much freedom!
I took my first uber this week. It was $22 and change. I also took a bus that day. it was so packed the purse I was carrying the strap popped. I normally have no need for a purse. I did take two phones with me that day. I am going out next week. The same uber as well.
Great! How far did you go? The bus i take does not usually have many other people on it
@Marty1 over an hour by bus not far by cab. The Bronx was my destination.
@sharon6345 That does seem like it is far by bus. I don't usually go that far by either bus or Uber. I save those types of rides for my sister to drive me if possible
That is great that the bus does not cost that much at all. You really can go out and about whenever you want now.
I am very excited about the extent of where i can go now! I may have to go several times a week when i need groceries as i can only take two bags on the bus. Plus walking up all those hills will give me exercise bur hard to carry up too heavy of bags
I do not drive because I get so nervous behind the wheel and do not want to risk it. This makes me a bit of a homebody but I am okay with that. I have taken cabs before but I don't know that I feel safe taking an Uber. My nearest bus stop is about a mile and a half down the road. I don't know that I will ever feel comfortable taking the bus but I am glad you like it.
I feel the same way about driving. I never tried it, but it makes me too nervous to try it I have a lot of anxiety, so that makes it hard for me to do things like that, Uber i think can be trusted. But i prefer bus rides. To take the bis in just have to walk to the corner and down five hills. The good for exercise part is the five hills i have to walk up to get home.
@Marty1 I tried to get my license twice. I can drive in rural areas but I get too nervous in heavily congested areas. I have thought about buying a bike and using it to go to the grocery store if necessary. I have walked to the grocery store and to Sheetz to get food before. I'm lucky that I have people who can take me places. Otherwise I take cab. Out of curiosity I was trying to figure out the bus schedule here and it was a bit confusing to me. I would probably have to go downtown to get a bus pass as well.
@sallypup (30026)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@ScribbledAdNauseum The older I get the more I am nervous about driving in congested areas. I know some of what you mean. That would be cool if you were to ride a bike. I don't have the balance for that anymore.
@Porcospino (19691)
• Denmark
My husband and I have a car, We live in a village and most people have cars. There is a bustop, but there aren't that many buses, and I am happy that we have a car. When our car broke down we had to take a taxi. If we had taken the bus we wouldn't have arrived on time. In the past I often took the bus. There are better bus connections between the large cities, and I was happy to travel by bus when I lived in other parts of the country.
That is hard when there aren't many buses coming. I live in a good area for taking a bus. If i take a bus, i will take an extra early one if it looks like i will be i might not get there on time. Or I schedule my appointments with the easiest time to get on a bus to it and not have to go too early to it. i find taking the bus is a lot greater than getting a ride. some places though i will still have to get a ride
@Porcospino (19691)
• Denmark
@Marty1 In the past I also took an extra early bus if I had to arrive on time. If I had an exam or something like that I needed to know that I would get there on time. Now we usually drive, but if we have to take the bus we need to plan it in advance because there aren't many buses here.
@Porcospino I get an injection every two weeks, and i make it for 15 minutes after the hour as i can take the bus and get there with just minutes to go before I should see the nurse to get it
@sallypup (30026)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm glad for you. I can't do Uber cause I don't have a smart phone. At this point in time the only way for me to get to town and shops is to drive my car. In a few years we'll be moving to where we probably will be walking more and using public transportation.
My smartphone was not one of the expensive ones. I bought mine for $50 at Wal Mart. Then i get a very limited amount of data and pay $20 every three months. I would never buy an expensive one as all my family has. I am not interested in having a smartphone to spend too much time on it. Now taking the bus, I just use my phone for the time.
@sallypup (30026)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Marty1 Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I'm not a fan of Walmart but I may have to go there to check out the phones.
@sallypupI am not sure if it is an all time thing that i paid 10 dollars more and got a two-year guarantee warranty. For two years if i broke it or it stops working, and the company would replace it for free. It was one time only for the $10
@RodrickH (13634)
Yes, I always take the bus to somewhere, but if I can walk there I will choose to walk instead of taking a bus cause walking is an exercise
Yes, I agree that walking is a great exercise. Most places I want to go are too far to walk. Good for you exercising!
Glad you had a good day.
Thank you! it was super!
@PatZAnthony (13262)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The bus service is great for those who need it. Thankfully I drive!
I live in a good area for taking the bus. I am too frightened to drive myself!
@dgobucks226 (14784)
You found an extra benefit from taking those bus rides....keeping in shape, lol. I have not taken the bus for quite some time. The last time I remember it was to go down to Atlantic City to gamble. It was a good way to save on parking and they gave you gambling money as part of your fare. Haven't done that in a long time. Maybe I will try it again.
I will get in shape for sure! I never went on a bus trip anywhere like Atlantic City or out of my area
My sister made an Oreo pie for my nephew's birthday party this weekend. It was yummy. The Oreo cheesecake sounds great! That's nice evening you had such a good outing! I have only ridden a bus a few times while on vacation but it was fun.
Oreo pie sounds good too! Yes, the Oreo cheesecake is divine! But too small of a piece! I can't wait for the next time on Wednesday to go to an appointment by bus!! I might take it tomorrow for an extra day at the library aside from the day I volunteer!
I am glad you were able to get out and enjoy yourself. I do not take the bus but Friday I did take the train around the area close to Washington DC it was fun, and a change of pace.
Your day on the train sounds like fun! There is not a train close to me. i always wanted to go someplace by train
@sol_cee (18436)
• Japan
Buses here are more expensive than the train. Yet it’s more convenient to use since the bus stop is just in front of my apartment which is ideal during rainy days.
I don't have a train near me if there is even one in the Pittsburgh area. I am not sure of that. I do get a half-price fare because i am considered disabled because of my mental illness. It is a half-price pass, and I just pay $1.25 each way instead of the $2.50 regular fare That would be nice to have a bus stop in front of your apartment. I have to walk down five hills. I do take Uber when it is raining if i have to get out for an appointment or to volunteer at the library
@responsiveme (18200)
I do take the bus st times,I also like to walk.I am glad you enjoyed your trip
i like to walk, but each place i want to go to are not that safe to walk to them. I can go by bus and it is not as bad
There are no buses near where I live. I have a car though so it doesn't matter.
I live in a very good area for the bus. The only problem is my usual stop sometimes has several hours between when it comes. so if i miss it there is a real possibility i would have to wait two hours for the next one to come
I have a car so no need for bus. But I have taken buses in the past.
Where I live there is no alternative to having a car. No bus, no cab. Maybe Uber or Lyft but I kind of doubt it. I do remember how awesome it feels to learn that you can do stuff independently.
Oh, I would probably adapt and have family take me places, but i hate to keep asking my Uncle. Yes, independence is great! I finally feel like a big girl now!
@Icydoll (27835)
I do love bus journey..I enjoy it.
Do you take it often? i am trying to get out a lot more in the future. I am just so excited about this!
No I have a car and there are no buses out here where I live. But my sister rides to the doctor office often and she lives close to town where the buses run Monday through Friday.
I plan on getting by bus to my every-two-week injection. On the way home from that, i can skip my stop and go to lunch and grocery store and dollar tree of course! That is where my freedom shows because i have nobody to answer to and decide where to go by how i feel that morning!