Gold Pyramid House in Chicago Suburb Was News to Me

I did not know there was a 24-karat gold-plated pyramid just an hour away from my Chicago suburb. I learned about the Gold Pyramid House in Wadsworth, Illinois, on a local news station. It was reported that the Gold Pyramid House suffered a fire that caused around $3 million in damage. The 17,000 square-foot Golden Pyramid House was built in 1977. Due to owner Jim Onan's admiration of Egyptian culture, he and his wife had their very own pyramid-shaped house, gold as can be, built on an island surrounded by a moat in Lake County, Illinois. The pyramids of Giza reportedly gave off positive energy, and that information was an additional reason that fueled Mr. and Mrs. Onan's desire to build their own pyramid house. The Onan's had a 50-foot sculpture of King Tut erected to add a bit more Egyptian-flair to their property. The 4-car garage that is topped with three gold pyramids brings a bit of Egypt to the property too. Due to the fire, the owners plan to demolish the Gold Pyramid House and build an even bigger and better pyramid house.
Smoke and flames filled the sky in far north suburban Wadsworth, IL on Tuesday 7/17/18 engulfing the iconic golden pyramid house.
@topffer (36344)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
He should build the new one with stones. I like original architectures, but a pyramid is probably problematic to furnish, except if the furniture is made especially for it.
This video shows the inside of the pyramid house. Yes, the new one does need to be of stone. It is in Wadsworth, IL, but many mistakenly believe it is in Gurnee, IL.
Skip navigation Sign in Search Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... YouTube Premium Loading... Get YouTube without the ads. Wo
• Uzbekistan
@topffer I've watched the video. Obviously , it's not difficult to furnish the rooms in a pyramid. The rooms look good.
@topffer (36344)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
@MALUSE It would look better with furniture with a 45° angle. I have visited a few months ago a house with round walls where a lot of furniture had been designed to fit the walls. Very expensive but it is the price to pay for these kind of buildings.
What a pity. It said on the news clip that the 80 year owner has dementia, so I wonder if they will bother to rebuild it,
Well, I am thinking his family members will do the rebuilding. I am not sure if his wife is still around and doing OK.
@Daljinder (22198)
Egypt is one of the top places I want to visit one day. I like original. This house doesn't sound practical. The higher the floor you climb, narrower the space becomes. It does make for a good attraction though.
You can see the inside fo the home in this video, however, the video states the home is in Gurnee, IL which is near Wadsworth, IL. It really is in Wadsworth, not Gurnee.
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER YOU WILL BE TAKEN INSIDE THE GOLDEN PYRAMID HOUSE IN GURNEE,IL. THIS BEAUTIFUL HOUSE , BUILDED TO THE SAME SIZE OF A PYRAMID, WAS BUI...
@AKRao24 (21310)
If people are crazy then nothing can stop them dear friend!
@Daljinder (22198)
@Corbin5 Wow! It's so pretty and neat.
Is it gold plated or is it real gold? It seems that if the house was built as gold, it was have cost a fortune?
The house is 24-karat gold-plated, however the neighbors complained that the house was too bright when the sun was shining on it, so the gold-plating had to be covered with yellow paint. The owner is a very rich Armenian garage builder.
@Corbin5 I never thought about it being too bright in the sun. Is 24 karat plated god as expensive as pure gold? That must have hurt when he had to paint it yellow. I wonder how much it would have cost to build it out of pure gold? wonder if the builder would have had enough for that?
@Marty1 I am sure pure gold would have cost a lot more than what the owner could afford.
@1hopefulman (33405)
Wow! Some people have a lot of money. So much for the positive energy since there was a fire.
Yep, that positive energy failed the owner, big time.
@1hopefulman (33405)
@Corbin5 But he probably had insurance and so now he can use the money to improve his house.
@1hopefulman Yes, he definitely has insurance due to the family telling all they will build a bigger and better pyramid in that spot.
@AKRao24 (21310)
Wow! That is amazing thing to know! You must visit that Pyramid house when it will be rebuilt in a larger size dear friend! I can't think that people can be so crazy about their houses!
Yes, I would like to see that structure when it is rebuilt. It will be even bigger, so it will be fun to make a visit to that house.
@AKRao24 (21310)
@Corbin5 , yes please share the actual pictures whenever you will visit that place!
@AKRao24 This video lets you see the inside of the house. People who made the video mistakenly state it is in Gurnee, IL when it really is in Wadsworth, IL, but still a great video
• Eugene, Oregon
How bizarre that is! Ostentation as well.
The builder was an Armenian who owned a garage-building business. Business had to have been very good.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Corbin5 No kidding! He must have been a smuggler too.
@JamesHxstatic I bet his dealings were not all aboveboard.
@FayeHazel (21245)
Wow! I wonder if they offer tours?
They do. And sometimes they host events.
@FayeHazel (21245)
@Corbin5 Nice! I wanna go there!
Was the pyramid made with wood? He had to use the same materials as ancient Egyptian, it would have not been destroyed.
I am not sure. From the photo of the house under construction perhaps wood or concrete?? Not sure what the building codes happen to be in that suburb.
@Corbin5 I looked at the video while it was burning and I think the structure is wood, concrete does not burn that fast.
@Fliafaith (698)
• Nairobi, Kenya
This is interesting
It is the largest 24-karat gold plated house in the world.
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Corbin5 No one has ever been tempted to steal it :)
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
It's so beautiful and unique house..
I bet my husband and I have passed by it and I just never noticed it.
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
@Corbin5 ohh that's sas
@arunima25 (9143)
• Bangalore, India
That's a news for me. I stayed in US for close to 10 years and did not know that something like this existed. I missed it
I missed it, and I have lived in the state that house is in for all my life. The house is just an hour's drive from our house, so when it is rebuilt, perhaps we will see it.
@arunima25 (9143)
• Bangalore, India
@Corbin5 That's interesting!! How we can miss such things in our neighborhood and know so much about the world
@ridingbet (60493)
if the pyramid is made of pure gold, the sun's rays will show the golden site radiantly. but it is gold-plated so i think even if the rays of the sun bounce off, it won't hurt the eyes of those who pass by the building.
Neighbors did complain of the too-bright glare of the sun's rays reflected by that 24-karat gold and the owners had to cover the house with yellow/gold paint to make the neighbors happy.
@ridingbet (60493)
@Corbin5 i see. but bright yellow, like canary yellow, when reflected with the sun's rays, will still be painful to see. i hope the neighbors are now satisfied with the painting the pyramid with yellow.
He should simply have erected a large teepee, that at least would make more sense.
Well, he is a rich Armenian garage builder who probably connected more with the pyramids than a tepee.
Yeah, money corrupts @Corbin5 Ok, maybe not exactly but too much money does especially when the only thing that rich person wants to do is flaunt it.
@banksim (2643)
thanks for information
You are welcome.
@banksim (2643)
@Corbin5 ok great
@Shellyann36 (11269)
I would hate to be their neighbors. Could you imagine property values...
I certainly would not want to live near it due to it being a tourist attraction and a place in which events are held.
@Shellyann36 (11269)
@Corbin5 It is certainly bizarre.
@kepweng (19121)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i guess its the house of religious Cult leader
No, just the house of someone who likes all things Egyptian.
@Courage7 (18180)
Wow that is something Deborah. And the fire as well how sad.
Yes, I am sure the family loved that home. Glad they will rebuild.
@FourWalls (15703)
Hmm. I think I'd rather explore the Frank Lloyd Wright things around Chicago instead.
We lived in Oak Park, IL, and our first house was an American four-square that had the Frank Lloyd Wright touches copied by so many in that area. The leaded glass windows were so pretty.
@stbrians (15900)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Is it pure gold or some coating?
It is the largest 24-karat gold-plated object ever created. In 2011, neighbors were upset due to the the increase in the sun's glare being far too bright. Eventually, gold paint was used over the 24-karat gold to reduce the glare.