The Enticement

I took this shot of Ally in 2013. She was still very active back then.
El Paso, Texas
I found a shot of Ally that I took in 2013, she was still very active and really loved to run. One of her favorite things was to find a stick and try to get me to chase her for it. Alas I just wasn't fast enough but I did manage to get some shots of her. In the above shot she's trying to entice me to try to get that stick, of course I lost Oh, because I have mentioned Swamp Coolers a few times and some folks were unfamiliar with that term I thought I would include the following link:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to navigation Jump to search This article is about air conditioning. For similar concept in atomic physics, see Evaporative cooling (atomic physics). An evaporative cooler (also swamp cooler, desert cooler and wet
I will have to check that out, I have heard of them but never looked up to see what they really are. I can throw a stick and Roscoe will bring it back to me.,
Oh wow, how kool. The only dog that ever brought me the sticks or toys was Rebel, she loved for me to throw things for her.
@Icydoll (24600)
Very good shot of ally
Thank you
@RubyHawk (29196)
• Atlanta, Georgia
She sounds like an intelligent dog. She knows your number.
Yes, she is at that and boy does she know my number
@RubyHawk (29196)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@rebelann Pets usually learn quickly. They can read your personality.
I've noticed that too @RubyHawk
@rebelann I see her with the stick. She is very busy with it.
She sure was. She kept dropping it and then looking to see if I would chase her, she never let me get close enough to grab it.
@rebelann She wanted it all to herself. She thought you would take it away from her. I remember when I walked my dog and she found a ball and she was so excited. I explained to her I will take it now and wash it off when we get home and then you can play with it.
Actually she was trying to get me to run after her @Hannihar she did this with Mykey's ball as well and of course he did chase her and she was thrilled. She used to love to run.
@YrNemo (14703)
Ally looked very energetic in there. A lovely pet.
Yes, she had so much energy back then. She has slowed down but she still likes to run a little when it is not too hot.
@YrNemo (14703)
@rebelann A neighbor of mine just got a pet, a Labrador. The way it runs and walks, I thought it was 90 years old. I found out it was a 9 month old one .
It sounds like the poor thing might be depressed @YrNemo 9 months for a puppy is a long time to wait for a home. Hopefully when it feels loved it will feel energetic once more.
The dog I had growing up was a lover of rocks instead of sticks and the bigger the better. They didn't wear his teeth down, fortunately, but they were hard to throw far. LOL!
Dang, that really is odd. Most of my pups started out playing with sticks and only Rebel ever brought them to me to throw for her, the others just wanted me to chase them, especially Ally.
@rebelann He was a super dog. My other dogs liked being chased with sticks.
Ahh yes, the thrill of the chase @DianneN I think that's what most dogs enjoy the most. Your "Rocker" was really unusual
@Platespinner (17062)
Our family dog loves sticks. She'll chase them, carry them around, and chew them into splinters.
That does sound about right for a GR, when Gracie was young she'd chew on just about anything especially wood sticks and also my Agave plant. Ally used to love to play with sticks but she's 7 now and has pretty much lost interest, she'd much rather nap.
@rebelann Nessie can't resist playing fetch. Throwing something, anything, is the guaranteed way to get her attention.
Oh yeah @Platespinner GRs love to retrieve ANYTHING.
I love the look in her eye, just begging you to play with her.
Yes exactly, she still does that but her umph has toned down some, she's almost 8 and no longer has that much energy
@rebelann Just like us. The umph has got up and gone.
Exactly @just4him I just hope she won't need a walker
@Shellyann36 (11273)
How old is Ally now? I still think of her as a young pup.
She's 7.5 yrs old already. Time flies when you're having fun.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
@rebelann Grown up huh?
Yeah, she's lost a little of her spunk already but she's still willing to run wen it's not so hot @Shellyann36
I remember years ago I was planning a trip to southern Arizona and the B&B I was considering told me that they had a swamp cooler. I didn't stay there.
In dry climates those kinds of coolers work the best. A few decades ago few if any people had refrigerated air but it's becoming more popular now, I don't like it because it makes me cough. That blasted freon it uses is horrid
@rebelann lol You can tell I don't come from a dry climate. I had no idea what a swamp cooler was,
Apparently few people from those green lush territories would so you are by no means alone @BelleStarr On the flip side it took me years to figure out why I had respiratory problems where I worked, well they have refrigerated air and it uses Freon which I think is what make me cough. I am sensitive to chemicals. Now that I don't work I don't have that problem as badly because I don't even have a functioning swamp cooler.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
That's so cute and nice shot dear
Thanks, I try.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
@rebelann you're welcome
@kepweng (18547)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
are thier asre any wild animals where u lived??
In the desert there are a few but here there's only a rabbit or two and some birds
@PatZAnthony (12970)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Ah, we remember the swamp coolers from our earlier days. Your link will help others understand! None of our dogs have an interest in sticks, running, doing anything Ally probably did. They just like to eat and sleep it seems! Even as puppies none were into toys. Odd?
Actually it isn't that odd, out of all my pups Gracie, the Golden Retriever, was the only one really into toys.
I love that look in her eyes.
I'm glad you picked up on that, she loves to challenge me to try to get close and as I do she'll run off just before I make it
These evaporative coolers were common in Australia when I was in my teens. I suppose they are still around.
Same here. I always wondered of Australia was similar to the desert I live in. Those swamp coolers never work very well when the humidity climbs above 30%
@DeborahDiane (23746)
• Laguna Woods, California
@rebelann - Your dog is adorable and I love the photo of the swamp cooler. I remember those!
Thank you. The 'photo' of the swamp cooler is actually a link to the wikipedia explanation for those who have never seen one.
@crossbones27 (21176)
• Redlands, California
I have never had a dog that like sticks. They have liked balls, stuffed animals. ropes, brooms, rocks, but never sticks. So enjoy an old fashioned dog that actually likes sticks. Millennial dogs, whats wrong with them.
Millennial dogs eh? Yeah, she was born in 2010 so she was bringing back an old dog tradition ..... actually, she'd do anything to get me or Mykey to chase her, she loved to run. She's almost 8 now so no longer into running as much but she still has her moments.
Nice dog looking like she's enjoying herself. Dogs do love to play. Even my cat Mildred likes me to throw her toys around the house for her to chase.
Our old do Bo was a lover of sticks too. He would challenge us to get a stick from him too. We always lost too.
So like a dog, always with the catch me if you can attitude.
@sallypup (28499)
• Moses Lake, Washington
112 in Tucson today. That's where my daughter lives. Toward 100 at my house. Your pup is cute. I don't dare use sticks as play for my pups cause they do their dangest to catch things in the air. That could result in some nasty stuff so its regulation toys for them.
Yeah, it's usually hotter in Tucson than it is here. It wasn't my idea to play with sticks but I did learn the hard way that playing the catch in the air games with dogs is usually detrimental to their well being. Thanks, I think she's a cutie as well.