Last resort in a bushfire

Bunbury, Australia
Like other parts of the world, Australia has some devastating bushfires from time to time. Fires are still fought by fire-fighting crews and local citizens but over the last few decades more and more fires seem to be invincible and often the only safe option is evacuation of an area. While we were interstate we saw this sign in many of the towns we passed through. Just the words ‘last resort’ are a bit chilling. The refuge is usually an oval or cleared paddock. Western Australia had a bushfire in 1961 which wiped out five or six small timber towns. Of these only Dwellingup was rebuilt. At one point during that fire, any people remaining in the town gathered at the football oval with one fire truck ready to defend them. No lives were lost but hundreds of homes were burnt to the ground. What a terrible day it would have been as there were no mobile phones and no communication with those outside the fire zone. No-one outside of the town knew if those remaining had survived or had lost their lives. Let’s hope there is little call for these ‘last resorts’.
Glad no lives were lost at least.
The thing that I find interesting is that there was no communication so no-one knew the real score.
@JudyEv Yes, that would be a bad situation to be in.
@sunrisefan (21903)
Big bush and forest fires are indeed rampant in Australia and some parts of the U.S. because of your vast forests. I wish forests were divided into something like plots with about a kilometer distance from each plot so that, in case of fire, it will be isolated and firetrucks can fight the fire using the 1 kilometer clearing from each plot as their passageway to the fire scene.
They do put in fire-breaks here but they cannot be made wide enough to be really effective. On a really hot, windy day, sparks and burning embers can be carried several kilometres and light up well ahead of the main fire.
@sunrisefan (21903)
@JudyEv You're right. Even if there's a wide fire-breaks, it would indeed be difficult to control the flight of embers in strong winds. In my home city before, when sugarcane fields are on fire, they bulldoze and sacrifice some of the standing canes so as to cut the fire's path.
@sunrisefan Even now, it is compulsory for farmers to plough fire-breaks round their paddocks but I really don't see how they can help much.
@rakski (24124)
Oh my. That is such sad news
It was a long time ago but still sad that so many lost their homes.
@rakski (24124)
@JudyEv yes that is true
@rakski (24124)
What a terrible situation to find oneself in.
It would be terrible for sure.
No-one outside the fire zone knew if anyone had survived or not. The town was completely surrounded by fire and there was no communication at all.
It's good they're there, but hopefully they won't be needed. I'm glad there wasn't any loss of life in that fire.
It was a dreadful thing at the time. It seemed that half the state was burning up.
@JudyEv That's horrible.
@id_peace (7710)
Natural disaster for the bushes as much as we want to prevent prove to be impossible. We can only fight them as it comes Kind of suck through.
Fires seem to be much more intense than they used to be.
@id_peace (7710)
@JudyEv Consider the crazy weather around. I am sure they are.
Better to be prepared and not needed than not be prepared and perish.
We used to say we'd stay and fight a fire but I'm not so sure now. They seem to develop an intensity of their own that is impossible to combat.
Fires are really dangerous and it is best to leave the area as soon as you see a fire.
It can be impossible to fight a really big fire.
@iridion9 (11076)
fire is fire. is there anyways to predict fire?
Not really. In Australia if the temperature is really high with strong winds and the likelihood of lightning strikes they might announce a catastrophic fire rating and advise people to leave their homes if they are in a danger area and have only one exit from their property.
Happy that you have been spared from these disasters. Sadly there is nothing that can stop these fires despite how the world has progressed.
Man isn't as smart as he professes to be sometimes and especially not when confronted with a huge bushfire.
@JudyEv Rather than planning to seek residence on the moon or mars wish they came up with plans to stop these disasters the moment they show up
@allknowing It would make more sense really wouldn't it?
It's a terrible situation..
There seem to be more and bigger fires each year.
@JudyEv Oh! Natural fires?
@anamika161088 Not always. Sometimes an arsonist will light one.
@JudyEv Fires everywhere are not good.
They certainly aren't. They can be very difficult to fight too.
@JudyEv You are very right on that Judy. Where I used to live we would get fires every summer and the last time people put it out. I cannot remember if the fire dept. did anything or maybe just came and checked. They took their time coming.
@Hannihar Mostly they are quick to respond here as it can be disastrous if a fire gets away.
At least they were all alive, but it must be a terrible experience losing your house and all your belongings and memories.
And for some their town was gone forever too. I wonder what happened to those families.
@JudyEv May be some moved to a place where they had family. I wonder where others went, if they were alone in this world.
@LadyDuck They probably found work for them all in other towns. The towns that were destroyed were all timber towns so the workers would have been absorbed into the industry.
@bagarad (13031)
• Paso Robles, California
What devastation. A lot of my state is on fire, but mostly in wilderness areas. However some cities have also lost homes and businesses. I hate fire season, and this one is especially bad. We are heading for ten more days of triple digit heat if the weatherman in right. We need rain, but it normally doesn't come for at least another couple of months.
We've been hearing about the dreadful fires in California and the lowlife that go round looting deserted areas.
@bagarad (13031)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv What's worse are the arsonists who start the fires. One started at least five of these fires. As far as I'm concerned, arsonists count as domestic terrorists.
@bagarad I agree. They really need to be severely punished but it is hard to catch them.
@PainsOnSlate (20845)
Watching all the fires in the US and Canada this past few weeks breaks my heart, I would like to see a last resort for everyone.
California has had some horrific fires. I haven't heard so much about those in Canada. The extreme temperatures don't help either.
@JudyEv Ontario mountains in the east and Okanogan Mountains in the west...
@PainsOnSlate It is almost impossible to fight fires in mountainous areas.
@Jessabuma (33128)
• Baguio, Philippines
I am so sad to hear that . Stay safe
It is winter at the moment so there isn't likely to be a bad fire till perhaps summer.
@Jessabuma (33128)
• Baguio, Philippines
@JudyEv ohh I see..
@mesbakh (2370)
but australia is a vast country. anything may happen
It is very big indeed and we have a lot of different climatic zones, some of which regularly have bushfires.
@mesbakh (2370)
@JudyEv yes, australia is a single country and single continent
@JamilahPH (107)
• Brunei Darussalam
This make me sad. I pray for their safety and strength to rebuild their lives again
It would be very difficult to start again when you've lost everything.
• Brunei Darussalam
@JudyEv yes, that is true.. We pray that they will get the necessary help and support....
The wrath of Mother Nature is a game-ender.
She doesn't mess about once she does her block, does she?
@JudyEv nah. She doesn't take prisoners as well.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is beginning to look as if the US west needs some last resorts as well. 1600 structures were destroyed in and around Redding, California last week and now there is an even bigger fire nearer the coast.
I'm sure there are similarities between both Australia and California. Here, people love to build in the middle of forests with trees all around so they are at risk from the moment they move in. Some others have only one way out so if there is a fire and the road is blocked they are trapped. Some of the families in that situation leave their homes on what are classified as catastrophic fire days and spend the day elsewhere but that's not the ideal situation either.