Intense Training This Morning at School

swatblog
@DWDavis (14213)
Pikeville, North Carolina
This morning at our school we underwent Emergency Response Training. We learned what we should do in an active shooter situation and we got to watch as the SWAT Team from the local law enforcement agency performed a mock take-down of an active shooter in the school. They worked through 3 different scenarios, each one more intense than the last. Most of my colleagues were overwhelmed by the demonstration. Because my Army training, though many years ago, including how to clear enemy combatants out of a building, I knew what to expect. The team did an excellent job. It is sad that in this day and age we have to practice for this type of eventuality. Since we do, I would much rather be informed and know what to expect the cops to do and what the cops expect me to do. We will be having a lock down drill this year just like we have had fire drills and tornado drills in the past. This will be the first time we've practiced this at the school I'm at now. The school I came from was in a neighborhood where we didn't need to practice lock down drills because there were enough armed robberies and shootings in the neighborhood around the school we did enough of the real thing that practice wasn't necessary. Have you ever been in a lock down situation? How did you handle it?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That's scary. The parents of students down here have been buying rubber door stop wedges to keep in backpacks, so they can run into a classroom and jam the door if needed.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
All our classroom doors have steel rhino locks that are a bolt that locks into the floor. The kids bathrooms have them, too.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@DWDavis It's been a long time since I've been in a school. So I don't know what's in the rooms here.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@thislittlepennyearns As far as I know, ours is the only school in our area with these rhino locks. They cost a couple hundred dollars per door. A determined assailant could eventually break it down after several minutes of very hard slamming into the door if he didn't knock himself out first. By then, though, either the police would be there to take him down there way or he'd come through the door and I'd take him down my way. He'd much rather surrender to the cops. In the infantry, we concentrate on eliminating threats, not on taking prisoners.
It is better to be safe than to be sorry It's sad that these measures have to be taken, but I'm glad that you and your fellow teachers are being prepared for every eventuality.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The officers were glad we requested the training. The public schools won't do it.
@DWDavis I think the public schools should do it even more than the private ones. Not that a shooting or threat can't happen anywhere, but private seems to be less... I can't think of the word I'd like to use.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@ScribbledAdNauseum I'm not sure of the right word either, but I know just what you mean.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
It is a shame that this has to take place in this day and age. Better safe than sorry. I am glad that they finally put a full-time officer at my kids' school last year. I have not been at the school during a lockdown but it has been locked down once while the kids were in school when a prisoner escaped one county over and was spotted in our county.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It is sad that lock down drills and active shooter situations are even things kids as young as 4-years-old have to be taught about.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
@DWDavis Very much so but it is best to keep the training in place.
We tend not to have instances here in the UK where we would need a lock down, whether terrorism related or a shooter. However, we did have to have a lock down drill for the first time ever in the last academic year. I'm not sure if this is for all educational establishments, or we did it 'just because', but we have such an open door policy at the college I work in that I'm not surprised we have to do the drill.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The only school shooter incident we've had in our area was at our local community college. Several years ago a homophobic student shot a gay staff member. The other lock downs have all bee due to crimes committed near the school.
I have never been in the kind of situation. Today's world is a far cry from my school days.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Growing up during desegregation in the south, this all brings back memories of KKK demonstrations and bomb threats. I remember well the NC National Guard cordoning off part of Wilmington during the Wilmington 10 incident.
Better to be safe than sorry.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Absolutely. Much better the students know what to do and where to go, and that we, as teachers, know what to do and what to expect from law enforcement.
@Deepizzaguy (15024)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I have never been inside a school where a lock down has happened. Only fire drills.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
As I mentioned, I've been through several actual lock downs where there was an armed threat in the area. Thankfully, they never came inside the school though one did run through our parking lot and another ran across our baseball field.
Never have been in such a situation but good that the training is available.
@bagarad (12747)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank God I've never been in such a situation. When I was teaching, even in an area where racial riots had occured, school shootings were still unheard of. I feel for teachers today. I'm glad you are getting this training.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
When I was growing up here in the south during desegregation we had demonstrations and threats and marches, but nothing that rose to this level. The most diturbing thing to me is that, with the exception of Sandy Hook, the shooters are students at the school they shoot up. Where have we as a society failed that we are creating such children?
@bagarad (12747)
• Paso Robles, California
@DWDavis We lost the moral consensus we had when the country was founded. Now everyone does what is right in his own eyes.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@bagarad I've often thought the movement toward what I'll call, for the lack of a better description, loose morals is a backlash against the Puritanical/Victorian mores the churches of the last century tried to force on everyone.
It's sad that this is the world we're living in and school should be a safe haven. But it's better to be prepared in case something happens. My grandchildren have these drills in school too
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The fact that with very few exceptions the shooter is a member of the school community is especially disturbing to me. Is this the inevitable outcome of having mega-schools a thousand or more students where all students become a statistic instead of a kid?
@DWDavis I don't know what the solution is but it certainly is a scary world these children are growing up in. I pray daily for teachers and students everywhere.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Marilynda1225 With the growing coarseness of society and the chasm between us and them ever increasing, I fear repair of the situation will be a long time coming.
No I never have been.School has already began here.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Y'all start very early. When due your kids get out?
@DWDavis Just before memorial day, around the 25-27th of May.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@andriaperry That's when our students get out. Our last day, barring days closed for snow or tropical storms is the Friday before Memorial Day.
Glad you guys are training for it, even though sad there is a need.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We had one lock down incident last year and after it was over we knew we needed to do more to be prepared and ready should it happen again. Fortunately, the Captain of the SWAT team is a alum of our school, as are a couple of her squad and several other cops and deputies in town and the county.
I have never been in that situation and I'm grateful I haven't but I have faith so I think I would be fine.
@DWDavis (14213)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Faith is what helps keep me calm in those situations when I've been in them. That and my military training. Despite the years since I last put on the uniform, some things stay with you for a lifetime.
It is best to be prepared. No, I have never been in such a situation.