Double the Fun!

@moffittjc (45398)
Gainesville, Florida
This morning, heading into work, I ran over some debris in the road that I couldn't see because it was still dark. I immediately heard a pop and thought to myself that it probably wasn't a good thing. Sure enough, when I pulled into my parking spot, I got out and heard the classic hissing sound of my left front tire going flat. Not exactly how I wanted to start my day, but I couldn't fret about it too much because I had to get in to work. Besides, I had a spare tire that I could change on my lunch break, and there was a Goodyear tire center a short drive down the road that would patch my tire for free. When lunch time rolled around, I went out and changed the flat tire. After throwing the flat one in the back of the truck bed, I was just getting ready to climb in the truck and head down to the tire dealer, when I noticed my truck seemed to be leaning at a weird angle. I walked around to the other side of the truck, and sure enough, my right front tire was also flat! Since I only had one spare, I had no way to change out the second flat tire. So I called AAA and had them come out and temporarily fix my second flat so I could make it down the road a bit. I then went to Goodyear to see about getting my tires patched. The service tech looked at my tires and told me that whatever debris I hit pretty much tore up the front two tires, and that he couldn't patch them. They would have to be replaced. Not the news I wanted, but again, wasn't too upset, because it was getting close to time to replace my tires anyway. So I shopped around and found a good deal on a new set of Goodyear tires, and so tomorrow I will take my truck in to get the new tires put on. I'm lucky I'll be getting away with spending only around $1000 for the tires, including mounting and balancing, and an alignment. What are the odds of getting two flat tires in one day? Has that ever happened to any of you?
I am so sorry Jeff, I cannot remember that this ever happened to us, one tire it happened, but never two.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I just look on the bright side of things...I needed new tires anyway, so this just prompted me to get those new tires sooner rather than later!
@moffittjc This is a good thing finally. My husband is very careful with the tires, the fines are very high here.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck They fine you for having bad tires? Doesn't the government have anything better to do than check people's tires?
Oh no! That's just bad luck =( I think someone removing fences or roofing accidentally dropped debris on the floor causing you to get both tires punctured/flat! I've seen it happen when a truck was hauling & dropped. Pulled over BUT DID NOT PICK UP the debris the truck dropped & just continued on!! Literally nail spikes in the center of a busy road & no one was wiling to risk stopping to get it out of the way so I am sure someone unlucky ran it over. I've had my fair share of nails =( It's no fun!!! I am due for new tires maybe next year., but at least your tires are about time to be replaced so I wouldn't be as mad. Try taking a different route though!!
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
What have you been up to these days? I hardly ever see you on myLot anymore. It makes me sad.
@moffittjc My laptop has been slow. So I haven't really been using my laptop/computer. :) I did buy a new one (MacBook Air) but I don't know.. I just opened it & that's all, lol. M laptop is sort of going back to normal and working properly again?!!!
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby Wow, a MacBook Air. Nice! I have a MacBook Pro, and I love it. I hope your MacBook performs well for you! I think sometime soon I need to start writing more posts on this site. I usually don't ever have to post anything, because I always have so many notifications to get through. However, for about the last week or so, I have been caught up on notifications and don't have a backlog of 100 or more like I have in the past. I guess that means it's time to start writing again! lol
@wolfgirl569 (10382)
• Marion, Ohio
Thankfully no, but at least you were going to need tires soon. That does help ease the pain.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
Nothing eases the pain of having to drop $1000 just like that! lol
@wolfgirl569 (10382)
• Marion, Ohio
@moffittjc That is the cost of driving a truck lol. Thankfully mine has good tread on all 4 so I am good for awhile. But I know when the time comes that I will cry.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@wolfgirl569 I was just telling my son about that yesterday! He wants me to give him my truck when I finally buy a new vehicle (he'll be 16 next year), but I told him he would be able to afford the maintenance on a nice truck like mine! haha
@Shellyann36 (11273)
It sure has, I was driving my husbands truck and I ran over something and both tires on the drivers' side went flat. I counted my blessings though. I was near town and so I was going slow enough not to wreck when they blew, I made it to the parking lot of a local gas station, it was during the day on a Sunday. Even though it was Sunday, hubby found someone who could take care of both tires and would even come and pick me and the truck up. Now, his attitude I had to put up with for a while and he would not let me drive his truck for a long time.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, you were lucky that you were near town and that you found someone to help you out! If I had not had AAA, I don't know what I would have done, since it happened at 4:30 in the morning as I was on my way to work.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
@moffittjc Oh, yes I was counting my Blessings that day because it was a Sunday, late in the afternoon and at that time the pick up was the only vehicle running. If he had not found someone who could come pick me up and fix the tires we would have had to call around and find a neighbor or a relative to come help us out. It was a mess of a day but a lesson learned. I am glad you had AAA.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Shellyann36 You got lucky that day! Glad it worked out well for you! And yes, I'm glad I have AAA.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That's horrible. When we had the suburban we got it fixed and ran over a nail pulling out of the parking lot and got another flat later the same day.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I guess when it rains, it pours!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@moffittjc speaking of rain, did it rain there?
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns We got some typical afternoon showers, but nothing too major.
@betlynfrnds (1632)
Thankfully you had road side assistance. My husband and I always carry it. We have had the occasional issues including a flat tire here and there. I can't say that either of us has ever had two flats at once. I'm glad it worked out well for you.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's funny, this past April when my AAA membership came up for renewal, I debated whether or not I wanted to keep it. It's been years since I've last had to use it, but now I'm glad I kept my membership. In fact, it's the second time in a week I've used AAA. Last weekend, I called AAA to come help a stranger get into her car. She locked her keys in her car and had no spare key at home.
@moffittjc That was nice of you to help the lady. I've done similar things as well. I like being in a position to help out. As far as debating as to whether or not to renew - you made the smart choice. I remember when I first signed up with AAA. It wasn't because of an emergency that I had faced before that. I simply thought that it was a very good idea to carry that kind on 'insurance'. Shortly after I joined, I locked my keys in my car, so I called. Then, I was driving my old Camaro knowing that I had to go to a gas station in a hurry. I didn't make it so, again, I called. In both those cases, it was AAA to the rescue. I had other incidents where I've needed them as well.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@betlynfrnds I'm glad help came quickly. Depending on where you are in the country, it can get very hot very fast inside a car! About two weeks ago, my staff called me to tell me that someone had left a dog in a car in the parking lot with all the windows rolled up. Considering it's 95 degrees outside here in Florida right now, you can only imagine how hot it was inside that car. I told them to call the police right away (it is illegal to leave a child or animal inside an unattended car), and then I rushed over to their location and broke the window in the car to get inside and get the dog out. The police arrived shortly after and commended me for taking quick action (the law allows you to break the window of the vehicle if an animal or child is inside). The owner came out and was screaming at me that I had to pay for the window, but the police told him I was not liable and then arrested him for animal cruelty.
@moffittjc You were lucky it was just flat tires and nothing happened to you. That is also too bad two in one day. I am glad you found the tires to replace them.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wasn't going fast enough to do any other kind of damage. I had just turned into a parking lot when it happened. Which again, luck was on my side, since I was getting ready to park. It may have been worse if it had happened when I was driving down the road. I could have lost control of my truck or something.
@moffittjc Glad you were not going fast do any kind of damage.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Hannihar Yeah, I was pretty lucky I was going slow at the time!
@RubyHawk (29546)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't recall that we've had two flats in one day, but once when we were crossing highway 41 we hit something that had fallen in the road and our tire went completely flat. We called AAA and they came out and fixed it so we could get somewhere to get a tire. You must drive one of those huge trucks. Sorry about your bad luck.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's not a huge truck, it's a Ford F-150, but I only put high-quality tires on it. I'm sure I could find generic tires that run less than $100 each, but I'd rather have peace of mind knowing I have the best quality tires on my truck.
@RubyHawk (29546)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@moffittjc You'll probably save money in the long run. They should last a long time and you'll have peace of mind.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@RubyHawk I get about 4 years off of a set of tires, so at least I know I'm set for the next four years.
@MarymargII (10569)
• Toronto, Ontario
Boy that must have been some debris! I have had flat tires but only one at a time. AT least now you can think you had your fill of bad luck for a while and can breathe easy for quite some time.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm going to be at a conference for work next week, and while I'm gone I'm going to let me 18-year old daughter have my truck for the whole week. Fingers crossed that my luck holds out and she doesn't do anything to injure herself or wreck my truck! haha
@MarymargII (10569)
• Toronto, Ontario
@moffittjc Oh no worries- she'll be fine.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MarymargII She drove my truck home from my office to our house yesterday in a torrential downpour, in the middle of rush hour traffic. I was worried the entire time about her making it home safely, since she doesn't have a lot of experience driving my truck. But she called me about 30 minutes later to let me know that she made it home safely!
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Sorry about your tires, Jeff. I am happy you were okay though. You have a great outlook on things.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I generally have a very positive outlook on most things!
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc you're lucky. It is not always easy to be positive.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa Well, my internet has been out for three days due to planned maintenance upgrade. If I had been able to get on the internet during that time, you would have seen a completely different side of me! One who doesn't have the patience for being without internet for three days! haha
Dang, what a bummer. That much money for tires would terrify me, I don't even make that much in a month.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I know that about every four years I will need new tires for my truck, and I know that generally they will cost about $1000 to replace. So I just set aside a little bit of money each paycheck over that four year period so that when it comes time to replace the tires, the money will be there.
@moffittjc smart. I generally don't have much more than 3 bucks left after I pay bills so saving doesn't really add up much especially when something goes wrong and I have to spend what I've saved on something else.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@rebelann It is tough, but even that $3 can add up over time. Life is always going to throw us unexpected curve balls, so all we can do is try to be as best prepared for it as we can.
@Blondie2222 (22595)
oh wow sorry this happened to you. I drove to work about a month ago on a flat tire and didn't know it until I got to work. I was only 5mins from work when it happened. So i have one new tire and 3 not new tires.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's always been my fear, that I would end up having to replace one tire and it will be different (newer) than the other three. So far, I have always been lucky that any flat tires I've had were always patchable, so it has kept me from having one different tire from the rest. My spare is a Goodyear, but my old tires were Michelins. However, I have now switched back to Goodyear tires, so my spare now matches my new tires. So I won't feel bad if I ever have to switch out and use the spare.
@Blondie2222 (22595)
@moffittjc yeah i hate that too. I go for my inspection next week & hoping my car passes. I stick to the same tires if I can but I no longer go to the place I got my tires as they rip you in charges so should be interesting. Our good year tires good? How long do they last ?
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Blondie2222 Oh darn, you live in a state that requires vehicle inspections? I hated when Florida did that. I'm so glad they got rid of inspections. Goodyear is a good brand of tire. But there are other good brands as well. It all depends on the type of car you have and the size of tire you need. The best thing to do is check out the ratings for the particular size tire you need. But in general, you can't go wrong with Goodyear tires.
A thousand bucks for two tires? That doesn't sound like a deal to me even with the balancing and alignment. No, I've never had two flat tires at once.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
No, it was for four tires! I would never pay that much for two tires! haha My tires were at the end of their useful life, so although I only needed to replace two of them, I went ahead and decided to replace all four, since it was nearing that time to do so already.
@moffittjc That's still a lot for four tires. I put four tires on my vehicle a few years ago for half that, with lifetime insurance for the car. Is that the standard going rate for tires in Florida?
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@just4him For the size and type of tires that I put on my truck, that is a pretty standard price. In fact, the tires I chose were right in the middle of the price range for the size of tires in my category.
That's quite an expensive way to start your day. I recently replaced tires on my SUV so I feel your pain
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
If you don't mind me asking, how much did your SUV tires set you back? And what kind of tires did you put on the SUV?
@moffittjc I also got Goodyear and paid about $800 through my Ford dealership
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marilynda1225 When I bought my truck, it came with Goodyears. They were awesome tires, but were only rated for 50,000 miles. When it came time to replace the tires, I switched to Michelins because for the same price I could get 75,000 mile tires. But guess what? I only got 50,000 out of them before they were worn enough to need replacing. So I was happy to switch back to Goodyear.
Only the time I ran over a parking block and managed to flatten two of my tires!
@moffittjc I damaged the gas tank in that little escapade had another one put on and the car never worked right after that!
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@snowy22315 I think you and I need to be more careful about running over parking blocks! haha
@moffittjc yes that was many years ago it was at night and the block wad corroded and worn done so i never saw it.
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
back when i drove long time ago it did but wasn't so expensive then and i had a good job. don't know what we would do if it happened to our only car now. none of us have any money like that and no one to borrow from glad it worked out for you though. sounds like something terrible was dropped in that road. like a road block spikes
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
It was a bunch of glass. There were all kinds of shards of glass sticking out of the front two tires. I got lucky that the glass didn't puncture the back tires too!
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
@moffittjc yikes. sounds like someone must have shattered their windshield or dropped a giant window from back of a truck
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bunnybon7 Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. Or maybe an accident and they didn't do a good job of cleaning up all the glass.
That was bad luck. That seems awfully expensive for the tires - are they special ones?
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have a big truck, so big trucks need big tires. And I make sure to buy the best quality.
@moffittjc Fair enough.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jaboUK The tires I purchased were actually very reasonably priced for the size and quality I got. So I was happy with the outcome.
I’m so sorry you wound up with two flats. I once hit something driving to school and had a flat. The custodian and a teacher changed it for me. AAA has helped out , too, in the past. At least it’s over and you have two nice new tires.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I actually have four nice new tires! lol And I feel bad now complaining about it, because my troubles are nothing compared to some of the things you have been going through lately. I guess sometimes we just need to put things in perspective.
@moffittjc Enjoy your 4 nice new tires! I hope your ride in life is a smooth one.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN Thanks Dianne! I will enjoy the literal ride on those new tires, and the figurative ride through life!
@stringer321 (3355)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I had a flat tire 6 times in my life: once when I was about to come back home from work, once when I took my cousins to bawling, once when I had to go to college, once when I went for a blind date, once when I needed to buy blocks for renovations, and once when I took my grandmother to check her leg. It was always one tire, but not on comfortable times. When the road is dark, I use the highlights and drive slowly. The way you had described your day made, my day :-) Double the fun was actually double the...not so fun. You can make good stories, with your humor sense.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I always try to have a sense of humor about everything, and I take everything in stride. Life is too short to get upset at circumstances that are out of our control.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@moffittjc You are right. Many people carry their wounds from the past. They have bitterness all day long. I can learn a lot from you. Thanks.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@stringer321 I have my share of wounds from the past. I just choose not to let them dictate my life. We live in the present, not the past, so I try to make the most of my life in the here and now.
• Eugene, Oregon
I never had two and hope I never do. At least you needed new tires though.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
One of my biggest fears when I'm traveling is that I will hit debris on an interstate and blow out multiple tires. That is one of the reasons I keep my AAA membership, in case I ever need roadside assistance.
• Eugene, Oregon
@moffittjc Yes, that would be bad thing. I have AAA too for both of us and my daughter.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JamesHxstatic I told my daughter that when she gets her first car, I will pay for a AAA platinum membership for her. It will be a good investment, and will give me peace of mind.