Double the Fun!

@moffittjc (43938)
Gainesville, Florida
This morning, heading into work, I ran over some debris in the road that I couldn't see because it was still dark. I immediately heard a pop and thought to myself that it probably wasn't a good thing. Sure enough, when I pulled into my parking spot, I got out and heard the classic hissing sound of my left front tire going flat. Not exactly how I wanted to start my day, but I couldn't fret about it too much because I had to get in to work. Besides, I had a spare tire that I could change on my lunch break, and there was a Goodyear tire center a short drive down the road that would patch my tire for free. When lunch time rolled around, I went out and changed the flat tire. After throwing the flat one in the back of the truck bed, I was just getting ready to climb in the truck and head down to the tire dealer, when I noticed my truck seemed to be leaning at a weird angle. I walked around to the other side of the truck, and sure enough, my right front tire was also flat! Since I only had one spare, I had no way to change out the second flat tire. So I called AAA and had them come out and temporarily fix my second flat so I could make it down the road a bit. I then went to Goodyear to see about getting my tires patched. The service tech looked at my tires and told me that whatever debris I hit pretty much tore up the front two tires, and that he couldn't patch them. They would have to be replaced. Not the news I wanted, but again, wasn't too upset, because it was getting close to time to replace my tires anyway. So I shopped around and found a good deal on a new set of Goodyear tires, and so tomorrow I will take my truck in to get the new tires put on. I'm lucky I'll be getting away with spending only around $1000 for the tires, including mounting and balancing, and an alignment. What are the odds of getting two flat tires in one day? Has that ever happened to any of you?
I am so sorry Jeff, I cannot remember that this ever happened to us, one tire it happened, but never two.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
I just look on the bright side of things...I needed new tires anyway, so this just prompted me to get those new tires sooner rather than later!
@moffittjc This is a good thing finally. My husband is very careful with the tires, the fines are very high here.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck They fine you for having bad tires? Doesn't the government have anything better to do than check people's tires?
@wolfgirl569 (6452)
• Marion, Ohio
Thankfully no, but at least you were going to need tires soon. That does help ease the pain.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
Nothing eases the pain of having to drop $1000 just like that! lol
• Marion, Ohio
@moffittjc That is the cost of driving a truck lol. Thankfully mine has good tread on all 4 so I am good for awhile. But I know when the time comes that I will cry.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@wolfgirl569 I was just telling my son about that yesterday! He wants me to give him my truck when I finally buy a new vehicle (he'll be 16 next year), but I told him he would be able to afford the maintenance on a nice truck like mine! haha
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That's horrible. When we had the suburban we got it fixed and ran over a nail pulling out of the parking lot and got another flat later the same day.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
I guess when it rains, it pours!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@moffittjc speaking of rain, did it rain there?
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns We got some typical afternoon showers, but nothing too major.
@betlynfrnds (1454)
Thankfully you had road side assistance. My husband and I always carry it. We have had the occasional issues including a flat tire here and there. I can't say that either of us has ever had two flats at once. I'm glad it worked out well for you.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's funny, this past April when my AAA membership came up for renewal, I debated whether or not I wanted to keep it. It's been years since I've last had to use it, but now I'm glad I kept my membership. In fact, it's the second time in a week I've used AAA. Last weekend, I called AAA to come help a stranger get into her car. She locked her keys in her car and had no spare key at home.
@moffittjc That was nice of you to help the lady. I've done similar things as well. I like being in a position to help out. As far as debating as to whether or not to renew - you made the smart choice. I remember when I first signed up with AAA. It wasn't because of an emergency that I had faced before that. I simply thought that it was a very good idea to carry that kind on 'insurance'. Shortly after I joined, I locked my keys in my car, so I called. Then, I was driving my old Camaro knowing that I had to go to a gas station in a hurry. I didn't make it so, again, I called. In both those cases, it was AAA to the rescue. I had other incidents where I've needed them as well.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@betlynfrnds I'm glad help came quickly. Depending on where you are in the country, it can get very hot very fast inside a car! About two weeks ago, my staff called me to tell me that someone had left a dog in a car in the parking lot with all the windows rolled up. Considering it's 95 degrees outside here in Florida right now, you can only imagine how hot it was inside that car. I told them to call the police right away (it is illegal to leave a child or animal inside an unattended car), and then I rushed over to their location and broke the window in the car to get inside and get the dog out. The police arrived shortly after and commended me for taking quick action (the law allows you to break the window of the vehicle if an animal or child is inside). The owner came out and was screaming at me that I had to pay for the window, but the police told him I was not liable and then arrested him for animal cruelty.
@moffittjc You were lucky it was just flat tires and nothing happened to you. That is also too bad two in one day. I am glad you found the tires to replace them.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wasn't going fast enough to do any other kind of damage. I had just turned into a parking lot when it happened. Which again, luck was on my side, since I was getting ready to park. It may have been worse if it had happened when I was driving down the road. I could have lost control of my truck or something.
@moffittjc Glad you were not going fast do any kind of damage.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Hannihar Yeah, I was pretty lucky I was going slow at the time!
@RubyHawk (26990)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't recall that we've had two flats in one day, but once when we were crossing highway 41 we hit something that had fallen in the road and our tire went completely flat. We called AAA and they came out and fixed it so we could get somewhere to get a tire. You must drive one of those huge trucks. Sorry about your bad luck.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's not a huge truck, it's a Ford F-150, but I only put high-quality tires on it. I'm sure I could find generic tires that run less than $100 each, but I'd rather have peace of mind knowing I have the best quality tires on my truck.
@RubyHawk (26990)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@moffittjc You'll probably save money in the long run. They should last a long time and you'll have peace of mind.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@RubyHawk I get about 4 years off of a set of tires, so at least I know I'm set for the next four years.
@Shellyann36 (10863)
It sure has, I was driving my husbands truck and I ran over something and both tires on the drivers' side went flat. I counted my blessings though. I was near town and so I was going slow enough not to wreck when they blew, I made it to the parking lot of a local gas station, it was during the day on a Sunday. Even though it was Sunday, hubby found someone who could take care of both tires and would even come and pick me and the truck up. Now, his attitude I had to put up with for a while and he would not let me drive his truck for a long time.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, you were lucky that you were near town and that you found someone to help you out! If I had not had AAA, I don't know what I would have done, since it happened at 4:30 in the morning as I was on my way to work.
@Shellyann36 (10863)
@moffittjc Oh, yes I was counting my Blessings that day because it was a Sunday, late in the afternoon and at that time the pick up was the only vehicle running. If he had not found someone who could come pick me up and fix the tires we would have had to call around and find a neighbor or a relative to come help us out. It was a mess of a day but a lesson learned. I am glad you had AAA.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Shellyann36 You got lucky that day! Glad it worked out well for you! And yes, I'm glad I have AAA.
@bluesa (13559)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Sorry about your tires, Jeff. I am happy you were okay though. You have a great outlook on things.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
I generally have a very positive outlook on most things!
@bluesa (13559)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc you're lucky. It is not always easy to be positive.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa Well, my internet has been out for three days due to planned maintenance upgrade. If I had been able to get on the internet during that time, you would have seen a completely different side of me! One who doesn't have the patience for being without internet for three days! haha
Dang, what a bummer. That much money for tires would terrify me, I don't even make that much in a month.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
I know that about every four years I will need new tires for my truck, and I know that generally they will cost about $1000 to replace. So I just set aside a little bit of money each paycheck over that four year period so that when it comes time to replace the tires, the money will be there.
@moffittjc smart. I generally don't have much more than 3 bucks left after I pay bills so saving doesn't really add up much especially when something goes wrong and I have to spend what I've saved on something else.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@rebelann It is tough, but even that $3 can add up over time. Life is always going to throw us unexpected curve balls, so all we can do is try to be as best prepared for it as we can.
@Blondie2222 (22211)
oh wow sorry this happened to you. I drove to work about a month ago on a flat tire and didn't know it until I got to work. I was only 5mins from work when it happened. So i have one new tire and 3 not new tires.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's always been my fear, that I would end up having to replace one tire and it will be different (newer) than the other three. So far, I have always been lucky that any flat tires I've had were always patchable, so it has kept me from having one different tire from the rest. My spare is a Goodyear, but my old tires were Michelins. However, I have now switched back to Goodyear tires, so my spare now matches my new tires. So I won't feel bad if I ever have to switch out and use the spare.
@Blondie2222 (22211)
@moffittjc yeah i hate that too. I go for my inspection next week & hoping my car passes. I stick to the same tires if I can but I no longer go to the place I got my tires as they rip you in charges so should be interesting. Our good year tires good? How long do they last ?
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Blondie2222 Oh darn, you live in a state that requires vehicle inspections? I hated when Florida did that. I'm so glad they got rid of inspections. Goodyear is a good brand of tire. But there are other good brands as well. It all depends on the type of car you have and the size of tire you need. The best thing to do is check out the ratings for the particular size tire you need. But in general, you can't go wrong with Goodyear tires.
That's quite an expensive way to start your day. I recently replaced tires on my SUV so I feel your pain
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
If you don't mind me asking, how much did your SUV tires set you back? And what kind of tires did you put on the SUV?
@moffittjc I also got Goodyear and paid about $800 through my Ford dealership
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marilynda1225 When I bought my truck, it came with Goodyears. They were awesome tires, but were only rated for 50,000 miles. When it came time to replace the tires, I switched to Michelins because for the same price I could get 75,000 mile tires. But guess what? I only got 50,000 out of them before they were worn enough to need replacing. So I was happy to switch back to Goodyear.
Only the time I ran over a parking block and managed to flatten two of my tires!
@moffittjc I damaged the gas tank in that little escapade had another one put on and the car never worked right after that!
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@snowy22315 I think you and I need to be more careful about running over parking blocks! haha
@moffittjc yes that was many years ago it was at night and the block wad corroded and worn done so i never saw it.
• Eugene, Oregon
I never had two and hope I never do. At least you needed new tires though.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
One of my biggest fears when I'm traveling is that I will hit debris on an interstate and blow out multiple tires. That is one of the reasons I keep my AAA membership, in case I ever need roadside assistance.
• Eugene, Oregon
@moffittjc Yes, that would be bad thing. I have AAA too for both of us and my daughter.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JamesHxstatic I told my daughter that when she gets her first car, I will pay for a AAA platinum membership for her. It will be a good investment, and will give me peace of mind.
That is seriously bad luck. At least they weren’t brand new tires.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
That happened to me the last time I put new tires on the truck. I had just left the Ford dealership and hadn't gotten a mile down the road when I ran over a giant nail in the road and caused one of my brand-new tires to go flat! I was very, very upset that day!
@moffittjc I wouldn’t blame you
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@NJChicaa I seem to have the worst luck with tires! lol
Yikes, I'm sorry! I'm glad you will be getting it taken care of but I hate that you have to. Both of my front tires on the truck are bad and we will be replacing them both soon too.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
If I thought my two back tires were worth saving, I'd give them to you for free! But they're pretty worn, so I wouldn't want to send you bad tires!
@moffittjc Aw, thank you for the offer anyway! =)
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LovingMyBabies I think it's the right thing to do to try and help people out whenever possible. Those tires would just get thrown out anyway (or recycled, whatever they do with old tires), so if something is salvageable and still useable, I think they should be used for that purpose!
So far I have never had 2 flats at once. Well now you are set for a while.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm set for a while unless I run over debris again! LOL
@moffittjc our tires were ready to replace,we were just holding out closer to winter. Then we found out the car with 255, 000 km needed major repairs. So we got a 2017 with 19,000 km. Now we don't need new tires
@porwest (6022)
Two flats in one day. Never has happened to me. That's not a good day. Now I have probably jinxed myself. lol
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
I sure hope not! It was bad enough it happened to me. I certainly wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else.
@porwest (6022)
@moffittjc Indeed.
@dodo19 (33043)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
That's definitely bad luck. Sorry to hear that this happened.
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
Although inconvenient, it wasn't horrible. I was getting close to needing new tires on my truck anyway, so this just forced me to do it now instead of having to worry about it later. And besides, the whole incident got me out of work that morning, and I got to miss a boring meeting that I didn't want to go to anyway! haha I always try to look on the bright side of things!
@dodo19 (33043)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@moffittjc It's always good to look at things positively. I like doing the same. I do try to look at the bright side of things.
I'm glad that you were not hurt nor any other damage to your vehicle. My husband wanted to replace 2 of the tires on my car when we switched out the winters, but when they were replacing them they found that 1 of the "good" tires had a nail in it. So lucky me, I got a whole new set of shiny tires. And now that car should be good, and you will be too. Did you ever figure out what you ran over?
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
One of the tires had a bunch of glass embedded in it, so I imagine I either ran over a bottle, or maybe there was a previous car accident and there was still glass and other debris left over. I've run over glass countless times before and it has never punctured my tires. Maybe it was easier for the glass to puncture them this time since my tires were pretty worn.
@moffittjc It almost sounds like it was a good thing that you ran over it. Once you parked your truck you were not in danger of having a flat out on the road.
@sol_cee (15922)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Well I hope you'll be getting double blessings in the next five minutes.. hehe
@moffittjc (43938)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thank you! Receiving blessings is always a good thing, and receiving double blessings is an even better thing! In fact, you're a blessing! See? There's one already!
@sol_cee (15922)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@moffittjc lip service? Lol hahahahaha