Getting ready to go back to school

I am only committed to substituting in the schools this next year. That may change if I choose to work somewhere else. It gets to be a hardship to not have income for parts of the summer. Kids are getting supplies and getting ready. I always got two or three new dresses for the year. When I was in school girls wore dresses. Period. With shorts underneath for PE. I do not remember having backpacks. Things do change. Kids still love it, and dread it, all at the same time.
I subbed for a while and then became a teachers aide. I was there when they found out I was sick. I was happy with the kids for a while.
I think I am getting too old for all of it.
@GardenGerty I am pretty sure it's true too. I am not saying that to be rude as you might know. Kids are a handful and as the times are changing it's not easy. If you want to remain in child care there are other options. I went to daycare after that and even licensed my home. It's worth a shot and you have regulations that protect you in case of anything.
@sharon6345 Oh I have had a home daycare. I am thinking I would like to work with the adults again. Honestly I would like to just stay home, but I need more money than I am generating online.
I remember when school always started in September - I can never get used to this August business for my kids. I never had a backpack - I could often be seen carrying a pile of books in my arms before and after school. The love and dreading of school - that never changes .
I do not think we had as many days off during the school year for inservice and such, so we started later. We also ended a little later, but still in May.
I went to school in the 70`s and we wore everything. No we had to tote our books.
We still had dress codes even when I went to high school. That was end of the sixties, beginning of the 70's. My senior year, which I only went to half of, we could wear "pants suits" like Hillary Clinton No jeans. Of course my mom never bought me jeans. I did not have jeans until my first husband and I got Levis with the button fronts, and I made them into bell bottoms.
When I went to school we wore a uniform, all girls had to be the same.
Private schools around here have those rules still. I think it could be helpful, really.
@GardenGerty I went to a private school, I think it was a good rule.
@LadyDuck I agree. Boys around here have to dress nice too in private schools.
@DWDavis (11542)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I remember when wearing blue jeans to school was taboo and sneakers were only worn for PE. By the time I reached high school, t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers were allowed anytime, though most of us didn't yet wear them everyday.
In Junior Hi. Guys got a "lick" with the paddle for having their shirts untucked.They wore slacks and belts as well. I was in a city school. I found, when I went to a rural college town, that girls had worn jeans etc. and the kids had a much more casual dress code.
I started wearing slacks, not jeans, in high school, and I'm thinking senior year. I never wore anything under the dress, shorts wise. We had uniforms in high school for gym. I didn't have a backpack either. I carried my books.
In elementary girls and boys had PE on different days, and square dancing on Fridays. You and I are close to the same age and that was how schools were.
@GardenGerty In elementary here, we all had PE together, and there weren't any change of clothes, we wore what we wore to school. Imagine playing kickball in a dress.
@Mavic123456 (9877)
• Thailand
of course, if you will see the uniforms in Japan, you will be surprised, skirt as high as the middle of the thigh. (I don't know if this is true though), Here in our school it is still below the knee length.
We could choose our own dresses and skirts but they had to be at least to the fingertips. I grew up in the age of the mini skirt, and micro mini. Suddenly then it switched to midi and maxi, so my wardrobe ran all lengths.
• Thailand
@GardenGerty that would be nice, I imagine how fashionable you are.
@Shellyann36 (10754)
The boys go back to school on the 28th. I am going to miss them. We have had a decent summer. Not much yelling and arguing.
It always feels good when things are peaceful.
@Shellyann36 (10754)
@GardenGerty Yes, especially with 3 of them at once!
@aureliah (16637)
Things have changed in a significant way and they continue to change. Change is inevitable
We always change and we always think we can do things better.
@aureliah (16637)
@rakski (18266)
Will you be a sub teacher? It is always nice to be around kids.
I will substitute for what is called a specialized para. I deal with children who have the most physical, emotional and behavioral needs.
@rakski (18266)
@GardenGerty oh that is nice! To be there, you must have a lot of patience, compassion and a big love to share. So happy for those kids.
I used to sub..but the last time I was thinking of working as a sub..I could not be fingerprinted do to my constant computer use. I am not joking. I tried several times. That's OK, I really am not a fan of subbing, being a regular staff member is much better, although a long term sub job isn't too bad.
When I did the census in 2010 I had a hard time rotating my wrist for the finger prints. I am applying today in another town for a direct support position with adults.
@FourWalls (14123)
I remember the old school satchel! You were "big" when you stopped carrying it and got a locker!!!
Jr. Hi and High school we had lockers. With locks. Today even the young kids have cubbies, but without doors and locks. We always hung our coats in the cloak room at the back of the class.
I went to a Christian school so dresses only were the dress code. For PE or field trips we could wear culottes. I hated culottes very early on.
I loved them, but mine were probably cuter than what you had. I made mine. They were very short, and often looked like skirts. I used to sew a lot.
They did not have packback when I went to school either.
Yep, you just carried your books in your arms. We carried purses for pens and pencils. Guys had button down shirts and put pens in their pockets.
I always had a school-case too and wore a school uniform which was a skirt and blouse in winter and a cotton dress in summer.
I do not remember anything other than a purse. I think in High School, when I chose to do debate, I had an attache case or brief case.
@caopaopao (10333)
Stay with the students and you will be very happy.
I may be working with adults soon.
@1hopefulman (29953)
We had to wear a tie and a jacket or a school sweater. Yes, things have changed.
I imagine it made everyone look very nice. That was a little dressier than the gentlemen I went to school with.
@1hopefulman (29953)
@GardenGerty Yes, we all looked like serious scientists.