Took my old cat to the vet today

My cat is 16 and at that age they are pretty ancient. Up until now she hasn’t had any health issues thankfully! Since my boyfriends dog was so sick that time a month ago or so my cat started vomiting often after that. It got to the point where it is happening too often and so I called the vet to get her in. She had sores under her chin too that I thought was from a flea collar irritating her skin. I took it off and it hasn’t improved any. On the internet it looks like cat acne. She wasn’t fond of being trapped in the carrrier on the 45 minute drive. Her confused meows broke my heart. The vet checked her over and said she does have a little arthritis which I was figuring by how she walks lately a bit off and slightly shaky at times. He asked me twice if she was really 16 and the second time asked if she’d been with us that whole time which she has. We bottle fed her as a kitten. Her teeth looked bad to me but he said they looked pretty good, a little irritation but it didn’t seem like enough it would make her gag. He said he didn’t feel any tumors, her heart is good, she’s a good weight of 10 lbs, she’s got good color (I guess they get pale or something I don’t know lol) and no fever plus her having a healthy appetite is a good sign. He said we could do blood work but she wouldn’t like it and he didn’t really think it was necessary. He cut her nails which she didn’t like. She’s old and sore so I leave her be and let her keep her long nails lol. He put a liquid dewormer on the back of her head. I had never even heard of such a thing so I learned something new. He gave her a shot of an antibiotic to clear up the sores under her chin and another shot that I think was a vitamin I don’t recall. She’s such a good cat. She meowed loudly but never hissed or tried to claw them. The vet tech held her down by the scruff of her neck and while she wasn’t being hurt I still felt so sad putting her through all this. The vet sent us home with a probiotic for her to dissolve in her food once a day for a week. Photo is of a pretty view I saw while I was out geocaching and has nothing to do with the post other then pretty it up.
Our poor old cat had to be put down at 16. She had feline leukaemia. I think they check the colour of their gums. If it's a nice healthy pink then they have 'good colour'. They do it with other animals too. With horses they push their thumb against the gum. It will go pale but should almost immediately become pink again.
@JudyEv how heartbreaking that must have been for you family. I really dread the day we have to put our cat down. That makes sense about her gums then why he said she was a good color and everything looked good. She did have a spot that was a little bloody and looks like teeth have fallen out toward the back and the other side looks like she has cavities. I noticed lately her having a harder time chewing so I will continue to wet her food for her and let it soak until soft even after all the probiotic is gone.
@shaggin She might need softer food now if she is having trouble chewing.
@JudyEv I've been wetting it each day until it's soft and then giving to her. She has loose stools but no vomit.
Poor cat, I hope that the medicines will make her feel well. She surely is a good cat, most cats try to bite or claw the vets.
@LadyDuck she has swatted at my boyfriend a few times when she was really angry with his dog but that is the meanest she has ever been.
@shaggin She wanted to be left alone, many cats do not like dogs.
Oh she must be lucky to be with you that long. You surely took care of her really well. Nice to see you here again Shannon.
@toniganzon she was my very first baby before my real babies were born so she holds a very special place in my heart. I hope she’s with us for many more years still!
@shaggin I hope the same too.
That is good news! I have not taken the cat here back, he seems okay now.
@andriaperry that is good to hear! Taking them to the vet is so costly I don't do it unless I'm really concerned.
Hope kitty gets all better.
@JohnRoberts thank you so much! So far no vomiting today but some days she doesn't and other days it's a few times so who knows.
You are lucky to have her for so long.
@NJChicaa yes we are very lucky. She slept in my daughters bed for year until recently she started snoring louder and putting her paws on my daughters face. I’m glad she’s still kicking after so long!
@BarBaraPrz (20122)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Glucosamine is supposed to be helpful for treating cats' arthritis as well as humans'.
@BarBaraPrz the vet didn't mention much about the arthritis but I should look into a supplement for her thank you!
@BarBaraPrz (20122)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@shaggin You're welcome.
I sure hope she gets better, I have a cat, so I kinda know what you are going through.
@Dena91 (4377)
Hope that the shots help her feel better. They really hold a special place in our hearts.
@Dena91 I knew she was sick but didn't think she would be sick enough to be put down so I am glad he didn't suggest that as I wouldn't have done it. She hasn't vomited today at all and I am hoping it will stop for good.
@sol_cee (15885)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
So animals share the same virus?
@sol_cee very rarely. He didn't think she caught anything from my boyfriends dog but he did give her a multipurpose dewormer just in case she does have them.