We saw a whale - then we saw a heap of whales - or is it a pod?

Bunbury, Australia
The area of South Australia called the Head of the Bight (or simply Head of Bight) is a bay which marks the most northern point of the Great Australian Bight. Head of the Bight and Point Anne in Western Australia are two locations on the south coast where southern right whales come to calve on their migration north from Antarctica. . In South Australia, the Bunda Cliffs line this stretch of the Nullarbor Plain coastline and a boardwalk, viewing platform and interpretative centre have been installed so the public can watch the whales going about their lives. The area is also accessible to wheelchairs and these can also be borrowed free from the Centre. From the boardwalk we could easily see eight to ten whales swimming just a short distance off-shore. Getting a photo wasn’t quite so easy however. The one I’ve used is, I think, of a cow and calf. The white lumpy patterns of skin on the head are called ‘callosities’ and are used to identify individuals. After watching in vain for whales back in Victoria, we were thrilled to see so many in one place. It was really very special.
@caopaopao (12509)
Wow, you can see so many whales, it's spectacular.
We thought we were very lucky but the whales spend quite some time in this area.
@caopaopao (12509)
@JudyEv You are really lucky. I can only see it in the aquarium.
@caopaopao It would need to be a huge aquarium to hold a whale but I know what you mean.
@JustBhem (42819)
• Davao, Philippines
Wow. How I wish to see real whales while I am still alive. You are so lucky you get to encounter some of them.
We found it hard to believe that there were so many of them. I hope you get to see some one day.
@JustBhem (42819)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv Yes, I also like to see a dolphin too.
@JustBhem You can often see dolphins in aquariums or marine parks.
Wow! I would love to see that.
We certainly didn't expect to see so many.
@moeybags (118)
@JudyEv i love the songs they make when they are under water.
@moeybags It seems whales which frequent one area have different songs to those in another area.
@myklj999 (18080)
I don't know why they call them a 'pod' though...a pod is typically something that contains something and can burst open. I hope no whales burst open.
It might have caused a tsunami. What about a murder of crows? That's a worry!
@JudyEv But a murder of crows would be loud and messy, so that name might be appropriate.
@myklj999 (18080)
@Juliaacv @JudyEv Just remembered this old discussion
Yep. I said it. Nuke 'em all. I'm tired of hearing about how the Japanese are wrong for hunting them, I'm tired of all the 'Save the Whales' groups. I'm tired...
WOW, great shot, I know how hard it is to get shots of wildlife and this one is fantastic.
It's so hard to get clear photos of whales given that they rarely come out of the water. Here is another one and I've put up one of a tail in another comment.
@JudyEv Beautiful! I love the shade of the water. is this a hot or cold climate where you saw them?
@Marty1 For the whales, this water is warmer than the Antarctic ocean where they have come from. We were a bit cold on land as it is winter here.
I think that the correct term is "a pod of whales", it is the same for the generic term "a pod of fishes". You were lucky to see whales.
We thought we might just catch a glimpse of one but there a lot just drifting back and forth. One kept poking his head up as if he were watching to see how many tourists were there that day.
@JudyEv you looked at them and they looked at the tourists. Did the whale smile for a photo?
@LadyDuck I'm pretty sure he was trying to catch my eye!
@xFiacre (5142)
@judyev I do like odd-sounding collective nouns, and if a delicious sounding one is not available I prefer to make one up myself rather than use a more pedestrian one. Most people believe me.
You are like Vince. He says the most outlandish things but with a great deal of authority and people nod and smile and aren't game to question him.
@xFiacre (5142)
@JudyEv Saying it with confidence it the key. It’s like when you’re busting to go the to the toilet when your out and there isn’t one around - you just walk into a swanky hotel past the doorman with a swagger that suggests that you own the place and no-one will challenge you and you can then piddle in style and walk away with whatever toiletries you can lay your hands on.
@xFiacre Spoken (written) with great confidence as though you've been doing it all your life!
@sol_cee (17302)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
From the picture, I can't tell they're whales. hehe
They rarely come right out of the water so getting a good photo is really hard. Here is the 'tail of a whale' but it was taken in Tasmania.
@JudyEv That is a big tail on that whale. Do all whales have that big a tail or are the picture of an adult whale? Do the females and males vary in size?
@Marty1 In some species males are larger but I couldn't find out which is larger for the southern right. Blue whale and baleen whale females are larger but humpback females are smaller. And I found out a blue whale's tail can be about 25 feet across but I think they are bigger than the southern right.
@JudyEv I am glad you enjoyed seeing all the whales.
They are just huge creatures. They were mostly just below the surface so we had a good view of them.
@JudyEv They are very big from what I remember about whales. I am glad you had a good view of them.
@Hannihar Yes, they are huge. Very impressive yet they seemed quite gentle too in their actions.
Beautiful picture! I have never seen a whale in person; I would have loved to go to this place and watch them. You take so many interesting pictures!
Thanks. We didn't get too many great photos of the whales but I've put a couple up some of the other responses.
@JudyEv Thanks for telling me you posted other pictures. I will go look now! That must have been a great part of your trip
@Marty1 Yes, it was one of the highlights.
@xFiacre (5142)
@judyev I quite fond of the collective noun for hippos - a bloat of hippos.
I like that one! And isn't there a parliament of owls?
@xFiacre (5142)
@JudyEv What’s the one for Australians?
@xFiacre A mob maybe? Or a barbecue?
That was a pretty neat experience.
We were surprised to see so many. There is a fee for going to the boardwalk and sometimes you get a bit fed up with having to pay for this, that and everything else but at least we got our money's worth here.
@arunima25 (8226)
• Bangalore, India
It must have been a treat to see. Quite spectacular I have not seen any whale so far. I just saw dolphins in dolphin shows.
Dolphins are incredible too aren't they?
@arunima25 (8226)
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv I enjoyed the Shamu show in Sea World, California.
I'm sure it was special. It's one thing I want to see before this life is over.
We considered ourselves lucky to see so many at one spot.
@JudyEv I'm sure you were. Great picture of them.
@dgobucks226 (13735)
That is very exciting. We have had a few whale sightings in New Jersey this year. One was where I live. Here is a youtube video of a whale sighting in a neighboring town.
This massive whale popped up to say hello to a Shark Inlet Charters group. Video courtesy of Captain Mike Formichella.
Wow! Thanks for the link. That's incredible isn't it? There was one well off the coast playing like this but too far away to get photos.
@dgobucks226 (13735)
@JudyEv No problem on the link. Your post peaked my interest about whale sighting. We also get the occasional seal and shark sighting too.
@aureliah (18380)
• Kenya
Sounds like an interesting place to visit. I hope that one day I will visit the beautiful Australia
It is a very interesting and varied country. I hope you're able to visit one day.
@aureliah (18380)
• Kenya
@JudyEv hope so
@kepweng (18505)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i want to be eaten by whalew like jonah and the big fish
Be careful what you wish for!!
Oh that picture is so lovely. It would be awesome to see.
It was lovely just to be an observer, and of so many. Different somehow to being in a boat and watching all round trying to catch sight of one.
@moeybags (118)
i have always wanted to see a real whale in the wild. im sure its such a pretty sight.
We stood and watched them for a long time. Sometimes, maybe on a tour boat or a beach, you just catch a glimpse but here, they just stayed around relaxing.
You do not have to ask that question. It indeed is a pod of whales (lol) Lucky you that you got to experience this. Fishing may not be allowed in that area.
There are cliffs most of the way along here so it would be difficult to fish. I wouldn't want to get one of these monsters on my line anyway!